Gransnet forums

Chat

Giving money to people on the street

(155 Posts)
Doodle Sat 22-Dec-18 20:58:23

DH and I make regular monthly donations to charities of our choosing. He thinks that is enough but sometimes I feel sorry for someone and drop some money in the cap of people begging or busking or just homeless. Today we came across an obviously homeless man in an underground subway living in a cardboard box. He didn't ask but I gave him some money. Latter I passed a youngish man trying to walk with a stick but with a bent leg and a bent foot slowly making his way along the high street with a cup in his hand asking for money. I gave him some too. DH says he thinks this chap was a fraud (how did he arrive in the high street if he can't walk much)
Do you give to people on the street or only donate via genuine charities?

Vickixx Mon 31-Dec-18 12:34:12

Well said EllanVannin. A local farmer in our area enquired about leaving land in his will to be dedicated to social housing. It was ideal, wouldn’t interfere with views and handy for local schools etc. I was asked to sign a petition to object to it and I refused. The ‘not in my back yarders’ won and the planning committee rejected the proposal. It appears we want to do all we can to help as long as it doesn’t interfere with our own ideologies.

EllanVannin Mon 31-Dec-18 13:45:36

Money always shouts loudest Vickixx as those living with " unspoilt views " are usually the ones who hold the purse strings when the word development is mentioned. They have a habit of clubbing together to make such advances impossible by purchasing certain areas of land beyond their boundaries thus blocking any sale that might be in the offing.

I think I read about an " olde worlde pub " which had been earmarked for re-development and the surrounding neighbours/patrons clubbed together to keep it as their local.

Stansgran Mon 31-Dec-18 15:21:23

I don't get out much so I maybe wrong but I live in the north east and we often say that there are few rough sleepers as it's too cold. There is a shelter for them outside the city. I saw one young man in the autumn but I've not seen any recently. We had a very trusting blind lady who regularly bought the Big Issue and was horribly cheated by the seller and the seller ended up in prison . They are also back selling and I see them in other cities around the north. She recognises me ! I trust the Salvation Army.

Nonnie Mon 31-Dec-18 16:20:18

I cannot believe that anyone chooses to live on the streets unless they are ill. I had a conversation with someone at the bus stop recently who said that our local homeless man wasn't really homeless and went home at night. I didn't think she really knew and said that he must be ill to sit there day after day with only his dog for company.

When I was young I remember my parents taking in an Australian couple who were homeless for quite some time. We didn't have a lot of money or space but somehow we managed.

On the other side of the coin I was in Covent Garden with DS some years ago and a young man begged for money for food and I offered to take him to buy a sandwich. He looked at me aghast and backed off. DS thought I was naive but I would always buy food for someone who really needed it.

Where I used to live local people made and donated scarves at Christmas and hung them on railings for people to help themselves.

No, I don't often give to people on the street, it is more effective to give by standing order and claim the gift aid. I think professionals are better able to deal with this issue than me. I am not sure I am right but I think it is probably the most efficient way of giving.