Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's comfortable and convivial kitchen.

(1001 Posts)
soop Sun 23-Dec-18 18:08:19

Here we are again
Happy as can be
All good pals and jolly good company....

Thank you for your companionship. Welcome to our new kitchen. flowers and party

Nannytopsy Mon 24-Dec-18 10:13:18

Is it mean spirited to raise a cheer that Chris Evans ( and his entire family!) has finally gone?!
Enjoying quiet time in the kitchen, with the radio making nice things to eat - what could be better? grin

aggie Mon 24-Dec-18 10:19:46

I am still in PJs , already have sourced Allspice , Bay leaves and ham recipe for DD1, now she is asking me to cook the roast while she does the ham , I just have the stuffing , sprouts and pud [wink) I could use your " nice making things to eat " radio , Nannytopsy

annsixty Mon 24-Dec-18 10:34:53

I can't tell you what "fun" we are having with the Grandog and my kitten.
They are not at all enamoured with each other.
The cat is living upstairs and the dog has to be shut in a downstairs room to stop him charging upstairs to chase her.
It is going to be a long four days.
Happy Christmas to you all.

Charleygirl5 Mon 24-Dec-18 11:05:27

I was in Waitrose after 8am and the car park was nearly full but Waitrose was civilised. There are 3 other stores there so I assumed that was where some of the people went.

The shelves were well stocked but for the likes of mushrooms and other fruit they would soon vanish. Being such an early bird I bought the crusty bread I wanted and some fish treats for myself. I do not intend to move from this house until Boxing Day when I have been invited to lunch at Brent Cross. It will be hell on earth trying to get there.

The film "the lady in the van" is on fairly late tonight so I may watch/record it. Tara and I need our beauty sleep.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 24-Dec-18 11:10:07

I have cursed the gammon, and it is cooling on the side.

Turkey is cooking according to Phil Vickerys recipe. We are not here for Christmas Day, but Mr GG likes cold meats, sandwiches and the proverbial turkey curry so nothing shall be wasted.

D and GS have gone to the stables, so I am sitting here with a nice coffee and enjoying the peace and quiet.

Thank you my new friends for making me feel so welcome in your kitchen. I lurked for a long time before I was brace enough to come in and join you. Even those of you who have so many troubles and health problems seem to be able to keep cheery. What a fabulous support network to be found in your kitchen soop.

Wishing you all a joyous and peaceful Christmas and a happy healthy 2019 ?????

Nannytopsy Mon 24-Dec-18 11:37:01

Ann we have the same problem and use a stair gate to keep granddog away from Charlie cat. You can get them in charity shops.
Enjoy your Christmas

MawBroon Mon 24-Dec-18 11:40:05

This first one is sentimental (but sincere) , but I am not wallowing so here’s another two to hopefully bring a smile!
My cursed gammon is still in the oven and after carefully working out how long it will take, I have now forgotten when it went in.
Tried on the Christmas sweater and decided it might be hard to distinguish me from the plum pud so back in the drawer (too late to take back to M&S alas)
So plan B tomorrow.
I really need to take presents round to my neighbours but now cant do anything until the gammon is (#over/under) done (#delete whichever is not applicable)
Happy Christmas everybody!

Gagagran Mon 24-Dec-18 11:53:58

I have left a mega size box of Thorntons chocolates on the side - for all who enter the kitchen to dip into (especially the strawberry creams because I don't like those!).

I wanted to wish all kitcheners the Happiest of Christmases and to quote Tiny Tim - "God Bless us - every one". wine

Thankyou for having us soop! (My Mumalways made us say that when we had visited someone!) tchgrin

aggie Mon 24-Dec-18 11:55:02

SHE's got me some things from the shop , gave them a small tip , they have just arrived back with a packet of sweets for me . They are away to spend the rest of it [chains]

soop Mon 24-Dec-18 13:35:13

A very warm welcome silverlining. Make yourself as comfortable as possible. I like your name. flowers

soop Mon 24-Dec-18 13:46:33

callgirl Thank you for a lovely post. We gave David a special Christmas Eve greeting, earlier today.

Dear POGS Lurk ye not. Come on in and chew the cud mince pies with us lot. The more, the merrier.

kitty Not only is your dressing gown lively...it's hot with it. It sounds like a snuggler. So, go ahead and snuggle.

tanith the love you give, comes right back to comfort you. (hugs)

Maw Lovely, kind message from you to us lot. Thank you.

As per usual, Greyduster's messgae to Panache makes perfect sense.

soop Mon 24-Dec-18 14:07:01

Nannytopsy Ditto. tchwink

annsixty Kitten won't mind being kept upstairs. She has possibly never encountered a cannine creature before. Never mind...this too will pass...I promise.

GrannyGravy What expletives did you use when you cursed the gammon? tchwink We are lucky to have you join the merry band of kitcheners.

Maw I like all three images, for very different reasons. My favourite is the hug. I would enjoy giving you one right this minute.

GaGa I shall do my utmost to resist indulging in one of your chocs. Oh dear! My fingers were made to wander over, lift the lid and, before I could draw breath...one was in my mouth. Just the one! tchgrin. And, yes, we always said 'thank you for having us'. My parents instilled good manners in us from an early age.

I am wishing safe travels for all those of you who are on the move. I wish those of you with a very hectic agenda, all the support you will welcome. I wish those of you who have ongoing troubles, the wherewithal to cope and enjoy whatever blessings happen your way. I hate the thought of loneliness at this time of year. Sadly there is a limit to what each individual can do to improve the wellness of strangers. If the opportunity presents itself...go ahead, and share a little kindness. A little goes an awful long way.

soop Mon 24-Dec-18 14:08:53

This is our granddaughter with her daughter, Mila.

soop Mon 24-Dec-18 16:52:04

I have changed Tabitha's mat and put out a bowl of fresh food. If she needs it, it will be waiting.

I wish you all a pleasant evening. I can imagine the excitement being shared by all our grandchildren. A special eve for all those who believe in Santa. I remember that time very well. It was a good many years ago. Well over seventy. tchwink

I shall return in the morning. Sweet dreams. tchsmile moon

kittylester Mon 24-Dec-18 17:32:44

Hattie (10) made a chocolate cake 'because fruitcake is horrid' - I think it it's Rudolph.

grannyqueenie Mon 24-Dec-18 17:35:31

Well we’re now ensconced in dd4s flat, I’m hoping she gets home from work soonish as we’re not sure how to switch the heating on! I daren’t let the old boy fiddle with it, that would never end well...?

Your description of the kitten/dog dynamics made me smile Ann, good luck with that scenario. My guess is the kitten will triumph over all!

greyduster, we had that same frost, our car was still frozen at noon and needed some serious attention before we set off. callgirl I’m another one with too many bits and pieces, not only in the dresser but dotted around the house and my children make the same comments as yours greyduster . But they’re special to me and they might be to them too one day, which is why I’ve labelled a few. I think if they really thought about the origin of sone of them they’ll maybe not want to ditch them when I pop my clogs...but realistically I know that’s only a very slender maybe!

I do love reading about everyone else’s Christmas food debacles... so reassuring to know it’s not just me these things happen to. I’m getting off very lightly indeed, but have made everything that’s been asked of me for the 1st bit of the family tour and what’s more have remembered to bring it with us too. Fodder for the family get together at ours on 29th is safely stowed away in the fridge/freezer and there’s time later this week to make things to take to take ds when we go down there. Phew... and now to relax and enjoy the next few days being hosted by dds 4&1.

So thanks again soop for the lovely safe space to which we all know we can retreat when “out there” threatens to overwhelm. Wishing you all a Happy Christmas, with special thoughts for those who, for whatever reason, have a teary eye or a sad heart this Christmas.

kittylester Mon 24-Dec-18 17:46:14

Forgot the photo!

cornergran Mon 24-Dec-18 20:27:22

That’s my sort of cake kitty tchsmile.

Sorry, not time for a sensible post so will just wish you all a warm, comfortable, peaceful,and contented Christmas.

NanaandGrampy Mon 24-Dec-18 21:00:09

Evening all,

Just a pop in to say we arrived safely, the pasto was a cracker and now I am feeling super sorry for myself with a rotten toothache !!

I have painkillers but probably need to see a dentist sharpish ( and haven’t managed to find one taking new clients in 15 months) !

So, I’m off to drown my sorrows xxx merry Christmas all!

Charleygirl5 Mon 24-Dec-18 21:14:52

Oh N&G I can think of nothing worse. A pity you did not live closer because I have a fabulous NHS dentist who is so good and really cares. Have you tried 111- they may be able to help.

Sar53 Mon 24-Dec-18 21:19:31

NanaandGrampy so sorry to hear you have toothache, there's nothing worse, especially at Christmas time with the family. I hope the painkillers work plus the medicinal drinkies.
Kittylester love the cake. I have an almost 10 year old DGD who loves to bake. She keeps telling us 'when I'm on Junior Bake off, I'm going to win'. She's very confident .
I'd like to wish everyone a Very Happy Christmas xxx.

Doodle Mon 24-Dec-18 21:50:50

Hello fellow kitcheners. Don't know if I'll make it in tomorrow as we are out most of the day.
I am leaving a jumbo size box of Rennie on the table so please feel free to pop in and take some if you happen to over indulge elsewhere. tchgrin

Take care all of you and I hope you all, in some way, find some peace and joy over the next few days.

MawBroon Mon 24-Dec-18 21:54:44

Ooh yum yum!
Festive Rennies - good thinking!

Oops I may have overstepped the mark elsewhere but you know me and I do wish you peace, love, joy and a very happy Christmas.

Willow500 Mon 24-Dec-18 22:25:46

Just a quick visit to wish everyone a Happy Christmas Day for tomorrow - love the new kitchen. It looks and smells very festive.

I had to share this picture my son just sent - its either a ghost or the dog (the one in the festive jumper) looking at the security camera ?

Good wishes to all.

Overthehills Mon 24-Dec-18 22:43:49

For various reasons I haven’t been to the kitchen for a few weeks but I haven’t forgotten you and wanted to wish you all, and especially those who have had a difficult year, a peaceful Christmas and a happy 2019 - you’re a wonderful bunch and such a support in good times and bad - thankyou all.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion