Gransnet forums

Chat

Family shows

(85 Posts)
MissAdventure Fri 04-Jan-19 18:01:05

Was there anything which you can remember watching as a family when you were growing up?

We used to watch the wrestling on a Saturday afternoon, and then further down the line, we watched 'Kung Fu' on a Saturday night.

sodapop Fri 04-Jan-19 20:14:10

All of the above and Emergency Ward 10. Coronation Street with Ena, Martha and Minnie.
Criss Cross Quiz.

MissAdventure Fri 04-Jan-19 20:15:37

Yes, my dad checked his too.
We were quiet, just in case we might have won!

MissAdventure Fri 04-Jan-19 20:17:56

Was there a crime show with Shaw Taylor on it?
That's all I can remember.

Jalima1108 Fri 04-Jan-19 20:27:37

I thought I posted about the football results

it could be on another thread blush

I used to have to take down the results for my father, writing them in pencil in the newspaper.
They are still memorable - an upward lilt at the end for a win, a downward lilt for lose and an even tone for a draw.

Cherrytree59 Fri 04-Jan-19 20:32:34

Jacq10 The Van der Valk theme tune was
called Eye Level.

My Mum loved Emergency ward 10 and also programme about a prison with Googie Withers (SP?)
When visiting my Gran we always watched the Virginian.
I think Saturday night was Dr Who and Dixon of Dock Green.
And Maybe Z cars

At some point Saturday nights became
'It's a knock out' and The generation game.

Jalima1108 Fri 04-Jan-19 20:35:08

that will be an ear-worm now Cherrytree grin

(Eye Level)

downtoearth Fri 04-Jan-19 20:46:36

MissA was called police 5....a 5 mi nute slot where appeals for information to solve crimes was aired x

MissAdventure Fri 04-Jan-19 20:58:24

Ah yes, thank you.
I don't know why that stayed in my mind.
Mind you, I still like a good real life crime programme.

Grannybags Fri 04-Jan-19 21:05:54

I was allowed to stay up for Saturday Night at the London Palladium - especially if Cliff Richard was on it!
Emergency Ward Ten
Z Cars

BradfordLass72 Fri 04-Jan-19 21:07:50

Oooh, lovely memories.

My parents and I watched Come Dancing as they were avid dancers themselves, though not competitively.

Mum would brew a pot of tea and butter some bread, I'd nip to the fish and chip shop and we'd all sit contentedly scoffing and watching the whirling nets and daring paso doble.
Saturday Western or an old black and white film with Dad and always the wrestling. "It's not real you know,' Mum would say, 'it's all staged.'
I like the tag bouts best, staged or not.

Such wonderful times.

phoenix how I HATED sitting through those results but yes, you could tell - Dad never won a thing on Littlewoods.

When my second son was born, we watched The Herbs, Trumpton & Camberwick Green.

Does anyone remember the spooky introduction, 'Journey into Space' ? I loved that radio show.

Later Jimmy Clitheroe, Tthe Glums on Take it From Here; A Life of Bliss, Life with the Lyons; The Huggets and, of course Mrs Dale's Diary and The Archers.....

Auntieflo Fri 04-Jan-19 21:23:15

Don’t know if I am imagining this, but was there a show about family life? Sort if soap, weekly?
I have only got the name The Greens in my head. Help!

Nandalot Fri 04-Jan-19 21:27:36

The first thing I thought of when I read OP was watching Liberace on a Sunday night with the sunset streaming in from the window behind me. It was always a quiet, but gloomy time as the weekend was over and school loomed.
But reading other posts have brought back lots of memories, Compact, Dr. Kildare, Dr Finlay, Maverick. I really quite fancied James Garner and I was probably only about 10! Does anybody remember the Trolemberg Terror? I was so scared by that that when I went up to bed and went in the bathroom for my wash , I screamed as these two eyes were staring at me..our cocker spaniel.

MissAdventure Fri 04-Jan-19 21:30:22

Opportunity knocks, and stars on Sunday.
New faces, and the golden shot.

Greyduster Fri 04-Jan-19 21:31:57

Auntieflo are you thinking of The Groves (with a grumpy gran!), and there was another called The Appleyards, both in the fifties.

Cherrytree59 Fri 04-Jan-19 21:39:10

Oops sorry * Jamila*
Better than Baby Sharkgrin

Talking of ear worms White Horses theme tune has just popped into my head (where did that come from? shock)

Yes remember Police 5 with Shaw Taylor.
"Keep 'em peeled"

MrTumble Fri 04-Jan-19 21:57:31

We would all sit around television to watch. Wickers world, Out of town, the world at war, Top of the pops, Juke box jury and Take your pick
I'm sure there were more but can not think of just now. Hmm not sure if it was called Juke box jury, do anyone know?
smile

MrTumble Fri 04-Jan-19 21:59:06

Sorry that should be , Does anyone know?

BBbevan Fri 04-Jan-19 22:00:28

What was ' The Singing Ringing Tree'? I think I watched it with my DD , but can't really remember much about it. Except a shivering tree.

EllanVannin Fri 04-Jan-19 22:04:53

Dick Barton Special Agent on the radio. I can hear that music now, thrilling and exciting.

MissAdventure Fri 04-Jan-19 22:12:30

I was a small child when the 'Singing Ringing Tree' was on, but it made a big impression on me, although I couldn't remember what is was called until I was in my 40s!

jacq10 Fri 04-Jan-19 22:12:53

Juke Box Jury with David Jacobs - remember it well as watched it every week despite my father's protest. Love the girl at the end - Janice who "gave it five" or whatever I seem to remember.

MissAdventure Fri 04-Jan-19 22:15:32

My mum liked to watch Cleo Lane, much to my dad's annoyance.
He couldn't bear it.

Eloethan Fri 04-Jan-19 22:33:27

Dixon of Dock Green, Take Your Pick, Z Cars, Dr Finlay's Casebook, Secret Army, Tonight, What's My Line, Sunday Night at the London Palladium, That Was the Week that was, The Rag Trade, Steptoe, etc etc - loads of programmes.

My Dad liked programmes that I wasn't so keen on as a child: Panorama, Brains Trust, etc, etc., although I think I paid a little bit of attention. I remember the spaghetti tree April Fool's hoax on Panorama - surprisingly, since I was quite naive, I wasn't taken in by it.

Bellanonna Fri 04-Jan-19 22:44:35

Greyduster I remember the Grove Family and the grumpy gran whose catchphrase was that she was faint from lack of nourishment. There was also a weekly programme with Katie Boyle, where she introduced a slot called “undiscovered British beauties”. Strange to think of that now! I can’t remember the name of the programme though. We always watched What’s my Line with David Nixon and Isobel Barnett.
Eloethan I well remember the spaghetti harvest, but unlike you I was taken in by it (and I’d have been older than you). I thought then that spaghetti came in tins anyway.

Jomarie Fri 04-Jan-19 22:59:59

This thread totally places people in the numerical age order !! grin