Gransnet forums

Chat

Family shows

(85 Posts)
MissAdventure Fri 04-Jan-19 18:01:05

Was there anything which you can remember watching as a family when you were growing up?

We used to watch the wrestling on a Saturday afternoon, and then further down the line, we watched 'Kung Fu' on a Saturday night.

ninathenana Mon 14-Jan-19 06:33:06

We watched most of the above but the one that sprang to mind when reading the OP is Sunday Night at London Palladium. I seem to remember sitting in my PJ's post bath and with milk and biscuits watching it before bed.
Dad and I always watched the wrestling together.

NanKate Mon 14-Jan-19 06:52:49

In town tonight which I thought was rather sophisticated. Mr Pastry, Richard Hearn I think. Whirligig. Sooty, which my younger grandson loves now.

No bad language just good old fashioned entertainment, what a joy.

crystaltipps Mon 14-Jan-19 07:30:56

The Army Game, Bootsie and Snudge, Charlie Drake, Circus Boy and Rin Tin Tin were my favourites. Then Top of the Pops and Ready, Steady Go and Juke Box Jury.

NannyJan53 Mon 14-Jan-19 07:33:36

Skippy the Bush Kangaroo, Lassie, Champion the Wonder Horse, Daktari (with Clarence the cross eyed Lion), The High Chaparral.

Anyone remember, Torchy the Battery Boy?

When I was older (14ish) I would never miss an episode of The Monkees! I had to really plead with Dad to watch it

LullyDully Mon 14-Jan-19 08:07:46

When I was little I watched Andy Pandy, The Wooden Tops and Bill and Ben. Not to mention the Interval. London to Brighton in a few minutes and a potters wheel. Billy Bunter was the one that terrified me, his voice was squeaky.

Greyduster Mon 14-Jan-19 08:10:34

Yes, Lully but “the greediness was terrific!”

NanKate Tue 15-Jan-19 07:59:40

I remember the actor Anthony Valentine was one of the boys at Greyfriars with Billy Bunter. I followed his career throughout his life. Don’t think he is with us anymore. Also the actor who was the policeman (with a pock marked face) in the long running series set oop north. Can’t remember his name or the name of the programme but they repeat it all the time on Freeview. I know one of you will be able to jog my memory.

NannyJan53 Tue 15-Jan-19 08:14:37

Are you thinking of Philip Glenister in 'Life on Mars' Nankate ? That was set in Manchester I think.

KatyK Tue 15-Jan-19 09:40:11

Yes I remember Torchy the Battery Boy and also Twizzle.