Gransnet forums

Chat

How old are you when you are old enough to....

(63 Posts)
K9KTK Thu 10-Jan-19 16:21:58

I live in a very friendly village with an active village committee which organizes annual events. Every year they have a couple of events for "pensioners" to which I get invited. This year I have been invited to an afternoon tea at a very posh restaurant. There ain't no way I'm going although I have been said "pensioner" for over 11 years now. The day I go to something for "pensioners" is the day I give up because that will the day I am "old" and I ain't there yet. I'm wondering how others respond to these very well-meaning invitations.

Willow10 Sat 12-Jan-19 08:53:58

I won't do bowls, bingo, sing songs from the forties or do any other organised activity for the elderly, pensioners, OAP or whatever. People seem to forget that our era was the swinging sixties and I for one will never consider myself as old!

sodapop Sat 12-Jan-19 09:04:34

I agree with some of what you say Willow10 It's annoying when residential homes, day centres etc all assume we want 40s music etc when we were brought up with Elvis and the Beatles. I am realistic enough to know that I am old now but this does not mean I cannot enjoy a lot of life's pleasures and thankfully be well enough to care for myself and sometimes for others.

Nelliemoser Sat 12-Jan-19 09:50:45

But so many of the problems of older people is poor mobilty or a lack of transport etc.

Do you have good neighbours or such how near are your local shops?

How good are your local bus services?.
Going out at night as a single person?
Driving at night can become difficult.

As long as you can get out in your car things are manageble
I go to a choir about 16 miles round trip away quite a journey fortunately it is one long drive and not a complicated busy drive.

*NannyJan53 *"says
( I would have gone, I am 65 said NannyJan53 )wait until you are in your 70s, Things change. our health and mobilty changes.

I was a keen walker until my joints wore out. Partly down to a fall ) Too much walking bending etc.
The more I walk the more painful it gets.
There are so many things that disrupt ones plans.
(Feeling sorry for myself today)
(Sad)

David1968 Sat 12-Jan-19 11:16:46

I'm with stella1949 - I prefer the term "seniors", which is used in the USA. But being called a "pensioner" (which I am) doesn't bother me, and it wouldn't stop me from doing some nice! (For some years, I have emphasised that "elderly" means someone at least twenty years older than I am....)

BBbevan Sat 12-Jan-19 12:12:48

With you all the waywillow

Lilylilo Sat 12-Jan-19 12:18:28

Isn't 'Seniors' a better expression? English Heritage, National Trust, Wildlife Trusts, cinemas etc all use that expression I haven't heard 'Pensioners' used for a long time.

Lilylilo Sat 12-Jan-19 12:20:43

Although having said that and although using senior cards for organisations I can't see me ever going to any event organised specifically for 'Seniors' (grin)

gerry86 Sat 12-Jan-19 12:21:59

I've just booked some theatre tickets and for the first time asked if there was a discount for pensioners (my DH not me), there wasn't but having asked once I'll ask for other things as well. Every little helps as they say.

GabriellaG54 Sat 12-Jan-19 18:32:33

I'm with you on that.
I avoid avoid avoid.
I 'joined' a second WI for a taster befire committing to the annual fee (£40) and quickly found that, although very well attended, they were all dressed much 'older' than I do and were 'ladies, y'know, gold watches, plenty of scarves and jewellery. Not me at all.
To top it all, the lady sitting in front of me kept farting throughout the talk on Women's roles in WW2.
I left during the coffee break.

GabriellaG54 Sat 12-Jan-19 18:34:04

My comment was to the OP, K9KTK

GabriellaG54 Sat 12-Jan-19 18:40:54

Maggiemaybe

???

Grammaretto Sat 12-Jan-19 19:23:51

I dislike "seniors" and "pensioners" Retired is ok because it implies you've had a life!
Old age comes on gradually and you're quite right it comes as a shock when people make too many assumptions and treat you as though you are very old.
Grandparents can be in their 30s for heaven's sake but also in their 90s. That's a broad age group. Please don't lump us together.