Gransnet forums

Chat

Too many pets

(106 Posts)
PECS Sat 26-Jan-19 09:57:30

In todays world, where we worry about using up resources, use of animals for food etc. should we also be worried about the apparent increase in domestic pets? It feels as if I am one of the few people that does not have a pet.
I have had cats and as a child we did have a family dog. I am not anti animals & know that for many a pet is a real lifeline/ saver. I do however, feel that dogs in particular have become the " thing to have".
I know families who have incredibly busy lives & financial tension who then, inexplicably imo, add a dog to the mix!

Fairpricerx Tue 29-Jan-19 11:20:49

Pets living at home is good. But many throw them out on the street, increasing the number of stray animals. This is something to think about before you bought a cat.

FlexibleFriend Tue 29-Jan-19 12:49:28

FNH1

It would make no difference if all breeding of dogs was stopped in the UK for 5 years or more when we are importing dogs from Romania and every other corner of the world. We can't sort out our own problems with dogs and yet we take in street dogs from elsewhere.
Every dog needs a home wherever it comes from but preventing the breeding of Pedigree dogs of recognised breeds will just wipe out recognised breeds and leave us with mutts and what's the point of that?

Anja Tue 29-Jan-19 14:32:42

Well said FNHI

Iam64 Tue 29-Jan-19 16:08:23

Yes I’m withFNHI on this subject. I try not to wear my judgey pants too often but the idea of importing street dogs from Eastern Europe when we have shelters and rescues full here doesn’t feel right. Many of the imported dogs have lived in the streets scavenging, killing small animals to survive. Putting them in houses and expecting them to adjust to domestic life feels cruel

PECS Thu 31-Jan-19 21:00:54

I had to bite my tongue when a relative of mine took a Romanian dog! She could have just gone to Battersea!