Gransnet forums

Chat

Too many pets

(105 Posts)
PECS Sat 26-Jan-19 09:57:30

In todays world, where we worry about using up resources, use of animals for food etc. should we also be worried about the apparent increase in domestic pets? It feels as if I am one of the few people that does not have a pet.
I have had cats and as a child we did have a family dog. I am not anti animals & know that for many a pet is a real lifeline/ saver. I do however, feel that dogs in particular have become the " thing to have".
I know families who have incredibly busy lives & financial tension who then, inexplicably imo, add a dog to the mix!

MissAdventure Sat 26-Jan-19 09:59:57

One of my 'pet' hates are people who have the latest must have dog, then shut it away in the kitchen because they can't be bothered to train it.

sodapop Sat 26-Jan-19 12:22:28

So many issues around this one. Pets offer companionship and love to lonely people. They help children to act more responsibly and often give them confidence. The down side is the over breeding of animals purely for profit, pets bought because they are 'trendy' and people not considering their life style before getting an animal.
I would never buy an animal from a breeder now as there are rescue centres full of unwanted animals.

megan123 Sat 26-Jan-19 12:30:06

I couldn't be without my little dog - he came to me via a Rescue (as have all my dogs). He is the light of my life, runs the home, makes me laugh all the time, and is so faithful.

I think as sodapop has said the over breeding of animals, and the constant trend to own a dog purely to carry it about in a handbag etc. is the trouble here.

NanaandGrampy Sat 26-Jan-19 13:20:04

I believe that EVERYONE should need a licence to breed a litter of dogs . Not just ‘serious’ breeders but more importantly the woman next door who has a poor quality , bad tempered dog with none of the necessary qualities to pass on to her offspring and who is really breeding to make money , nothing more nothing less.

These are the pups that will end up in rescue centres because of their poor genes .

In fact let’s go a step further and say you need a licence to BUY a pup! You should have to go to classes , learn how to care for your dog, how to pick a breed appropriate to your lifestyle. All that before you can actually get your hands on one.

I am a dog lover, have bred dogs and shown them and worked them during my lifetime but I totally agree with MissA , so many pups are ill thought out purchases.

The flip side is I totally agree that they are lifesavers to many ( we have one ourselves ), then there are service dogs, cadaver dogs etc etc.

So I would say regulate the industry properly and police it .

Pipe dream ? ?

Sparklefizz Sat 26-Jan-19 13:24:59

Megan123
I couldn't be without my little dog - he came to me via a Rescue (as have all my dogs). He is the light of my life, runs the home, makes me laugh all the time, and is so faithful.

Precisely ditto, Megan with my little cat.

Anja Sat 26-Jan-19 14:16:51

The law changed on 1st October last year and has certainly tightened up on indiscriminate breeding and puppy farms. Lots of ex-breeding stock being dumped in the countryside I’ve been reading. Breeding bitches in particular dumped in awful condition many of which turn out to be stolen in the first case.

Firstly I think the law re microchipping ought to be enforced. It wouldn’t take much for local dog warden/community support officers etc to have a scanning day. There are simple handheld devices that give all details and these can be checked against the dog walker. Instant on-the-spot fines for non compliance with the law.

Responsible dog ownership is important too. Don’t take on a dog if you can’t commit to it or afford it. Too many think it might just be ‘a good idea’. No! It’s a 15 year commitment.

But dogs are life-savers and great companions in the right hands.

Jimjam1 Sat 26-Jan-19 19:38:30

I have a small dog who I absolutely adore. I got her when she was nine weeks old. When she was three months old I started taking her to training classes. I took her once a week for 18 months. I now have got a lovely lovely well behaved dog. We have got an incredible bond between us. Our daily walks are ruined by irresponsible owners who allow their dogs to come bounding over to us and knock my dog flying. I think training classes should be compulsory to all new dog owners not only for the dogs but for owners as well.

Deedaa Sat 26-Jan-19 20:07:05

There are certainly many people who shouldn't have any sort of pet - hence the two rescue cats that live with me!

agnurse Sat 26-Jan-19 21:54:26

We have three kitties, all rescues. One from the Humane Society, one from another rescue, and one from friends, though I still consider him a rescue as he was rejected by his mother and hand reared. (He promptly decided that I'm his mum.) All three are altered and are inside cats.

dragonfly46 Sat 26-Jan-19 22:01:33

My DS has two indoor cats and I just think it is a shame they never go outside.
DD has a Chow Chow. He is the most adorable dog and the gentlest. She researched the breed and found he was the best suited to their way of life.

agnurse Sun 27-Jan-19 00:38:53

Cats do better when kept inside as it is safer.

MissAdventure Sun 27-Jan-19 00:42:09

So do zoo animals.
I think cats should roam.

agnurse Sun 27-Jan-19 05:08:01

The thing is that if cats are roaming they are at risk for injury from vehicles and predators. This may be less of an issue in the UK, but there are areas here in Canada (e.g. in national parks) where it could be positively unsafe to let your pets roam outside. They could be attacked and even killed by wildlife. (There are town sites in the national parks and some people live there year-round. It is quite common to have wildlife, such as deer and even bears, come onto one's lawn.)

BlueBelle Sun 27-Jan-19 05:25:46

Cats should have the right to their freedom (although I swear when they poo in my garden) I still think it’s so cruel to keep them inside If there are areas in Canada where your cat is unsafe outside then you don’t have a cat Agnurse
Cats should roam
Dogs should keep their tails, ears, not be bred to ‘ not breathe’ and not kept in crates and cats need their claws, bugger the furniture
Birds should not be kept in cages they should be free
I hate the modern trend of breeding mongrels with fancy names and charging the earth for them
I have no pets now I have had plenty in the past but I see it has all gone way past having a little rescued companion (I couldn’t afford one now vet fees and insurance fees) into big big business and stupid trends

elleks Sun 27-Jan-19 09:39:39

I believe that EVERYONE should need a licence to breed a litter of dogs . Not just ‘serious’ breeders but more importantly the woman next door who has a poor quality , bad tempered dog with none of the necessary qualities to pass on to her offspring and who is really breeding to make money , nothing more nothing less.
Do you know my NDN? She bought 3 Jack Russells (I male 2 female) to breed. Several litters later she rehomed the dog & 1 bitch because she 'couldn't cope with them'

AllTheLs Sun 27-Jan-19 09:40:24

I'd rather not live if I couldn't have my pets.

ajanela Sun 27-Jan-19 09:41:38

Buying my grandson a dog was the best decision the family made.

Aepgirl Sun 27-Jan-19 09:47:00

I love dogs but know that I am too busy to have one full-time. However I do look after friends’ dogs when they are on holiday. This works well - I get to have a dog to look after, the owners know their dog is being looked after, and the dog is happy not being in kennels.

I have noticed recently the number of very tall men walking tiny dogs (very long leads!). I find this quite odd.

NanaandGrampy Sun 27-Jan-19 09:48:21

Everyone probably knows one of THOSE breeders elleks sadly .

Arry Sun 27-Jan-19 09:50:01

I totally agree with AllTheLs

Kernowflock Sun 27-Jan-19 10:02:02

I have a rescue parakeet, Parrot and dog. Some family and friends berate me for having the birds.... They should fly! And I totally agree. Birds should fly. They should not be captured or bred to keep as pets. But they are! And then discarded when they don't suit. Parrots can live until they are 80 and are demanding as a 2 year old. All too often they are abandoned in the first 5 years. We don't know the history of my birds. Only that the parrot was depressed and had shut down. 12 years later she is great, but she should be out flying in the amazon! The parakeet came with 2 broken wings and missing toes. He will never again fly. But he gets around and loves singing his heart out. Our little dog had 4 homes before coming to us at 14 months! Severe anxiety and behavior challenges. The first 2years we questioned our decision, we have had dogs in the past. But we wouldn't be without her now and she is very loving. If people didn't breed and import then the rescue and foster homes would not be needed. But many will not consider a rescue animal but choose to support the breeders and importers by paying large amounts. I might add that we are the only ones that adopt, the other 7 dog owners in my family who condemn us all purchase 'bred' dogs as they are better!?

jenni123 Sun 27-Jan-19 10:08:14

I had dogs all my adult life, rescued, bred and purchased. however I now live in sheltered accomodation and we are not allowed any pets at all, such a shame, in the 29 flats here only one of them has a couple living in it, all the rest are single people. I for one would love the companionship of a dog. I don't dislike cats but have an allergy to their fur, but would not be allowed a cat either.

SillyNanny321 Sun 27-Jan-19 10:15:05

I have two rescue cats who have to be indoor cats due to the illness one now has thanks to the ratbag they had to live with before being taken into the Rescue.
They are healthy as possible now though lost all their teeth & show no inclination to go outside & 'roam free'!
It is no longer safe for cats to go outdoors thanks to the idiots who set their dogs on them, shoot them, run them over deliberately & hurt them for fun! So cats unless in a very safe area should be indoor cats now sad as it is!

Saggi Sun 27-Jan-19 10:29:16

Agnurse... it’s also ‘safer’ to keep children at home and locked in with mummy,but that would be criminal as they need to learn ‘life skills’ ....as does your cat. Both need to take their chances in this world whether in Canada , England or Botswana . Your cat is in prison.