Gransnet forums

Chat

In The Navy!

(84 Posts)
lemongrove Sun 03-Feb-19 19:54:58

It may not seem a big deal to some, but yesterday I bought a
Fine knit navy blue jumper.....and I love it.This is the first navy blue thing I have worn since my schooldays, when my primary school uniform was navy, and so was my upper school uniform, navy blue for all those years put me off for life.It’s a kinder colour than black for older women but just as good and I now wish I had bought navy things 20 years ago.
Anyone else put off by school uniform ( brown, bottle green
Maroon?)

grannysue05 Mon 04-Feb-19 13:45:44

School uniform was very dark navy with scarlet badges. Looked very smart but dark navy drains me.
I wear lots of lighter blues especially sapphire which is very flattering.

LullyDully Mon 04-Feb-19 18:30:41

auntieflo. I was there 1960 to 1967.

lemongrove Mon 04-Feb-19 18:57:17

Now I have discovered navy blue looks good I realise it will go with many things ( as in other colours) notably lime green, bright pink, mustard etc.
I have a wedding to go to this year so may buy a linen navy dress.

Auntieflo Tue 05-Feb-19 08:28:25

LullyDully you missed me grin,
I was long gone by then. My years were 1953-1958. So old, sigh.

annep1 Tue 05-Feb-19 08:40:30

What's a scapular?

I loved wearing school uniform. And I loved special outings when it was compulsory to wear your beret. Loved ny school scarf. When I worked in the civil service I loved wearing navy/black trouser suits (our office had to be very formal). Just like a uniform!

Galen Tue 05-Feb-19 09:14:40

Grey, as it was on the site of a Franciscan friary and they were the grey friars

SalsaQueen Tue 05-Feb-19 09:23:47

I've got some navy blue trousers, but I always wear bright or pastel colours on top. I find that anything dark next to my face can make me look washed-out.

dublingran Tue 05-Feb-19 10:06:21

I’ve hated hats ever since my school days! In winter we had to wear what was called a jockey cap and in summer a straw boater.

AlexG Tue 05-Feb-19 10:09:22

My school uniform was ghastly. Tan brown skirt, cream shirt with tan and airforce blue stripes and (what was then called n****r) dark brown cardigan. Dark brown school knickers and a Robert Hirst tan raincoat. Anyone else remember them with a purse in the pocket attached by a cord to the coat?

winterwhite Tue 05-Feb-19 10:11:56

Maroon and grey. Grey always made me look washed out and still does. Never touch it. Maroon seems to come in more subtle tones these days and I do wear that in jumpers.

midgey Tue 05-Feb-19 10:14:16

My uniform was red and grey, taken until I was 70 to buy a red jumper!!

Patticake123 Tue 05-Feb-19 10:16:05

I turned my nose up at maroon clothes for the same reason. The horrendous time spent at school came back to me in waves when I saw the colour. However, for some long forgotten reason, I tried a maroon coat and wow, it’s now one of my favourite colours! Guess I grew up, just took me longer than most.

Humbertbear Tue 05-Feb-19 10:23:02

I wore a bright yellow blouse and a brown gym slip. Yellow is the worst colour for my complexion and I’ve never worn either colour since I left school.

Riggie Tue 05-Feb-19 10:27:32

Ours was navy with goals blue blouses. I rarely wear blue (other than occasional denim). I don't think it's down to the school uniform, just that it doesn't suit me as much as green (love bottle!!) does.

Riggie Tue 05-Feb-19 10:28:05

Pale blue blouses!!

annifrance Tue 05-Feb-19 10:49:02

One primary school was royal blue so I never wear that. the school I was longest at I absolutely hated. I can wear bottle green very well but never, ever do!

sazz1 Tue 05-Feb-19 10:49:23

Daughter has been decluttering pending a house move and reading Marie kwondo? So going through 4yr old granddaughter's clothes she says " Does this give you joy are you happy wearing it?" DGD grabbed all of her school uniform clothes and said "These don't give me joy throw them all out!"

Craftycat Tue 05-Feb-19 10:54:16

Our school uniform was black -it is a colour I never ever wear now. Mind you it really does not suit my colouring either.
The hats had to be seen to be believed! A velour monstrosity for winter & a straw panama for summer. They changed the summer one as we were all pinning the hats to the back of our heads. They brought in a sort of straw boater which was great as you could pull it right down over our heads tilted over face instead of being worn nicely on the top of head.
We had teachers & senior prefects 'hiding' on the way to train & bus stops to ensure we wore our uniform 'correctly'- so I got a lot of detentions.
I think they cared more about uniform than education. I was once sent home in the snow in gym shoes as my 'regulation' school Clark's Clodhoppers were at the shoe repairers & I was wearing a normal pair of black shoes- plus my Mum had sent a note explaining this. Needless to say Mum was in there the next morning raising merry hell!
I don't think things have changed much- it amuses me no end to see what the local girls can do with a perfectly normal uniform at our local schools.

knspol Tue 05-Feb-19 11:04:38

Maroon here, but still like the colour and wear it quite often.

MysticalUnicorn Tue 05-Feb-19 11:07:20

Our summer dresses were pink, and having been told by everyone that pink didn't suit me, I never wore it again. Until recently - because now I have been able to choose shades of pink that actually do suit me and I feel comfortable with.

ReadyMeals Tue 05-Feb-19 11:08:23

I'd ban school uniforms altogether. The reasons given by schools for having it are especially offputting. "Make all the children the same and reduces bullying". So they accept that wearing different clothes will cause bullying? Stop accepting bullying and put a stop to it! Also, nothing marks out a disadvantaged kid as much as being put into isolation because their mother couldn't afford to replace the sweatshirt that has just been stolen for the third time.

Another reason given "engenders respect for authority (aka keeps kids in their place)" In the school I had the most respect for the teachers was the one where the STAFF wore uniform. Academic gowns for teaching, and their actual uni colours for assembly. It reminded me every day of how learned they were and helped me to want to learn from them.

And finally "They'd turn up in all sorts of unsuitable things". Well kids can easily make a uniform look unsuitable by the time they've finished "tweaking" it. And since a school is a place of learning, is't it a good opportunity to teach them what constitutes suitable business dress, and how to choose a suitable outfit? Oh - and get the teachers to set an example, too. In my school, even teachers got carpeted for wearing peep-toe or too high heel shoes.

Tinydancer Tue 05-Feb-19 11:14:46

I didn't know what a Scapula was in relation to worn over school uniform so I searched it and it brought up some unsavoury sites. Let's be careful out there, and I'm still none the wiser. Please don't think I'm saying the poster had any intention of this. The modern world!

dragonfly46 Tue 05-Feb-19 11:23:06

I never wear brown or navy blue except jeans. I never thought of them as school uniform colours but maybe that is why I hate the colours.
On the other hand I love grey.

olliebeak Tue 05-Feb-19 11:31:48

I'm another who had to wear 'bottle green' as a school uniform colour. I would never choose that particular colour, but I ADORE Khaki or Sage Green now - especially with cream or beige.

My school uniform really put me off wearing a hat, though. I detest them and won't even wear one for a wedding - will wear a Fascinator for a couple of hours, at a push.

anxiousgran Tue 05-Feb-19 11:35:26

School uniform was navy and wear it now as it suits me, won’t go back to the navy knickers, though, and never worn a blazer since.
Dgd is 3, and her play school has introduced uniform to make it seem posh I think. She doesn’t mind as her big sister wears uniform, but it was quite expensive for dil to buy. Poor little mite, the cardigan is down to her knees as it was the smallest they could get. Can’t be good for messy play.
By the time she grows into it she’ll be starting school and need another uniform.