Gransnet forums

Chat

In The Navy!

(84 Posts)
lemongrove Sun 03-Feb-19 19:54:58

It may not seem a big deal to some, but yesterday I bought a
Fine knit navy blue jumper.....and I love it.This is the first navy blue thing I have worn since my schooldays, when my primary school uniform was navy, and so was my upper school uniform, navy blue for all those years put me off for life.It’s a kinder colour than black for older women but just as good and I now wish I had bought navy things 20 years ago.
Anyone else put off by school uniform ( brown, bottle green
Maroon?)

LuckyFour Tue 05-Feb-19 16:48:32

I hadn't thought about it but I now realise I don't wear navy. My school uniform was navy and I now put two and two together. Thanks lemon grove.

LullyDully Tue 05-Feb-19 18:20:27

Navy isn't bad to wear, unlike bottle green. Who wears that apart from school girls?

Nanna58 Tue 05-Feb-19 20:33:40

Swore I would never wear navy again, now I live in it!

Gaggi3 Tue 05-Feb-19 21:59:34

I thought a scapula was a shoulder blade. I liked school uniform both for me and my children. I was not at all well-off when young so it relieved me of agonising decisions about what to wear, when there was very little to choose from. Though better off when my children were small, the uniform still made mornings easier.

Baloothefitz Tue 05-Feb-19 22:20:42

My school uniform was red,blazer ,jumper & grey skirt ,in summer red gingham dress never put me off wearing red being a brunette.

glammagran Tue 05-Feb-19 23:57:37

Boaters featured in summer for our school uniform too. They smelt awful if they got wet in the rain.

My youngest daughter was a 6th form boarder and wore suits (from Next as they had petite sizes). Girls in the younger years wore floor length summer dresses which looked Victorian. I assumed DD would think they were hideous but she said she rather liked them.

lemongrove Thu 07-Feb-19 10:34:53

Did Catholic schools have the worst uniforms that the nuns could come up with to keep their girls virginal I wonder grin
It took ages to even get my summer dress off, being made of some heavy material I have never come across since, that when washed took about a week to dry.You had to wriggle out of it bit by bit until you managed to get it over your
head, and I was so petite then that you could hardly see me sideways.What with that and a heavy leather satchell, I could have walked in a force nine gale and been fully grounded.

Framilode Thu 07-Feb-19 11:14:39

Our school uniform was a navy gymslip and cream blouse. The gym slip had to be 9 inches above the knee when kneeling. OK for the younger girls but for the 18 year olds not so good. They wore stockings and the tops used to come below the hem of the gymslips. Lots of men used to line up on the edge of the grounds to stare at the stocking tops and suspenders.