Gransnet forums

Chat

Having a shower

(181 Posts)
Luckygirl Wed 20-Feb-19 09:50:44

Am I the only person who hates showering?

I am very short-sighted and with glasses off and hearing aids out I feel quite disoriented. I lose the soap/ struggle to wash my feet at all/have yards of hair that needs drying........

And in strange showers on holiday it is even worse.

Cannot get in and out of bath - painful hip replacement.

I just grit my teeth and get on with it.

sodapop Wed 20-Feb-19 12:11:31

I haven't had a bath for years and love a shower. Can you not replace your shower curtain with a shower screen harrigran those curtains are awful I agree.
We have a movable shower head, the fixed ones are no good for your important little places. I prefer the running water of a shower to sitting in bath water.
I did once have a nasty incident in an hotel shower resulting in a flood, that's another story.

KatyK Wed 20-Feb-19 12:56:26

I absolutely hate showering. We have a bath and a walk in shower cubicle. Sometimes for speed I have a shower and wash my hair in the shower. I usually drop the shower gel or shampoo and can't see to find it with shampoo in my eyes. Washing my legs and feet is nigh on impossible - standing on one leg and sometimes losing my balance and crashing into the shower doors. Why would you do that when you can take a nice leisurely bath?

KatyK Wed 20-Feb-19 12:57:14

Obviously there are some who can't get in and out of the bath so have no choice.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 20-Feb-19 13:31:23

I prefer a nice hot bath. I lie back to wash my hair and then the rest - start at the top and work down. After conditioning I get under the shower to make sure it's all rinsed off. At home there's enough space and I'm not attacked by the solid shower panel.
I also hate to get splashed on my face, in fact I'm a bit scared of water. When asked how I managed with washing my reply was that, "That's all right, I'm in charge." A bath at just the right temperature is so relaxing.

Beau Wed 20-Feb-19 13:57:01

Bath every morning for me, can't stand getting my face wet. I wash my hair with the shower head tap installed for that purpose but only once a week these days. I have an electric shower downstairs in my granny annexe in case I ever need one but it's never been used yet and hopefully won't be for many years.....

RosieLeah Wed 20-Feb-19 14:01:47

For some reason I don't feel quite clean after having a shower, I always feel I've missed a bit. Much prefer a proper bath.

TerriBull Wed 20-Feb-19 14:42:58

It's all about personal preference of course, but I don't like baths, we live in a 3 storey house and have 3 en suites, smallish, two have showers and one has a bath with a shower over it. I really don't like having to clamber into a bath to shower and am disappointed if we go away and there is only a bath in the hotel en suite. I love the wake up feeling a shower gives you and it's great for washing hair, equally I find it quite easy to shower not having a hair wash without getting wet hair, I only wash my hair every other day. If we moved, I would have no compunction in refitting a bathroom if that property didn't have a shower, I feel it's essential to my well being starting the day with a shower and I know my husband feels the same.

GrandmaMoira Wed 20-Feb-19 16:06:03

I haven't been able to get out of a bath since I was mid 50s, though I don't have any disabilities. I am amazed so many Grans are able to use a bath. For those that prefer to wash your hair in the bath or basin, I would find that really difficult. If I go to hotel with a bath and no shower I know it means a strip wash only and no hair wash whilst there.

callgirl1 Wed 20-Feb-19 16:49:19

Just over 4 years ago we had our bathroom changed to a wet room, because neither I nor my daughter could use a bath anymore, but I HATE the shower, never feel really clean, not like after a bath. We did have one of those bath lifts, the one illustrated in fact, but it didn`t go all the way to the bottom of the bath, so wasn`t very satisfactory. If I could get into and out of a bath I`d change back in an instant.

SalsaQueen Wed 20-Feb-19 17:11:49

I have a shower and wash my hair every morning. (My hair is short at the moment, so it's no bother). I have a bath on the 3 evenings I have been to the gym. I have to wear my glasses if I need to shave my legs!

FlexibleFriend Wed 20-Feb-19 17:17:38

I love showers and hate baths, don't think I've had a bath since the late '70's. Although I was looking at Baths today and considering I never sit in one was adamant it had to be both long and deep.

SueDonim Wed 20-Feb-19 17:41:58

I've never been keen on showers, I much prefer a bath. I broke my leg five years ago and the mere thought of slipping in the shower gives me the heebie-jeebies. I couldn't bath or shower for three weeks after my accident but I manage to stay unsmelly with the use of strip-washes and a washing up bowl. The first bath I took afterwards was utter bliss, even if I did have to prop up the damaged leg on the side!

We have showers over the two baths in this house. It makes me laugh that my daughters claim they prefer showers but when they come home, they like to wallow in the bath for hours. grin

BlueBelle Wed 20-Feb-19 17:47:22

I don’t like baths so I shower everyday day, and wallow in it
I loooove showers hair, body and teeth all done in the lovely swishing water
I don’t see a thing either and as my bathroom light cord broke off in the ceiling three years ago and I ve never got round to mending it ? I m in the dark anyway ?

Jessity Wed 20-Feb-19 17:52:49

Showers every time for me, never use a bath. Ours is a huge walk-in with fixed glass screen and rainfall shower. If I don't want to wash my hair, I just wear a shower cap.

"Tap" is an oblong with on/off at one end and thermostatic temperature control at the other so I put my shower gel/shampoo/conditioner on there. No problem with foot washing either, I just lean against either the glass screen or the tiles.

My aunt used to talk about washing down as far as possible, then washing up as far as possible and then washing her possible just as mentioned up-thread.

I too remember childhood days of the tin bath in front of the kitchen fire. Once a week. Doesn't bear thinking of now!

TwiceAsNice Wed 20-Feb-19 17:57:12

I have a shower and wash my hair innit every day. I turn my back to the shower to rinse hair too. I usually only have a bath if Im tired , aches, or very cold so usually only in winter, too hot in summer. I can get in and out of the bath but have to get on my knees first to get out, can just step in one leg at a time

TwiceAsNice Wed 20-Feb-19 17:57:37

In it not innit!

sodapop Wed 20-Feb-19 18:03:15

Thought you got down with the kids there for a minute Twiceasnice grin

PECS Wed 20-Feb-19 18:10:37

Glad we had the small en-suite turned into a wet room as it means no doors to close for a shower cubicle. You can get all plastic folding stools which you could use to sit on if it would make you feel more secure. I like a bath when I have been walking for the relaxation!

Luckygirl Wed 20-Feb-19 18:22:07

Blimey - you are a clean lot!!! grin

seacliff Wed 20-Feb-19 18:33:07

I absolutely love my shower. It is still a bit of a luxury for me, as we just had a rubbish one for years. When we had an house extension I insisted we had a good quality expensive shower fitted. Not rain forest type though.

I find it easy to wash my thick shoulder length hair. I now use a tangle teaser brush to comb through the conditioner. Occasionally I stay there for about 20 minutes just enjoying it, and using my precious Liz Earle Orange botanical body wash such a gorgeous smell.

I totally understand the problem if you're not steady on your feet. I'd have a seat fitted in that case. I only ever have a bath when I feel poorly.

glammanana Wed 20-Feb-19 18:44:30

I love our wet room which was fitted just before we moved in,I couldn't manage to get out of the bath after the nasty break to my shoulder and arm there was just no strength in my arm to get myself back out of the bath.
Now I can use the hand held shower with my left arm and have no problems its surprising what you can do with one useful arm.

lemongrove Wed 20-Feb-19 18:49:06

Have never liked baths, but love my shower, but then I have no sight problems and don’t have yards of hair to shampoo.
Position the shower caddy to hand Lucky so that you always have it to hand, and cut your hair to shouder length!
?‍?

BradfordLass72 Wed 20-Feb-19 19:14:38

My mother once told a visiting nurse, 'I haven't had a bath for over 12 years', omitting to add she showered each day. grin

I have a walk-in shower with rails so feel safe at home but not if I'm staying anywhere else.

If I feel like a hot soak, I go to the spa pools not far from here.

Willow500 Wed 20-Feb-19 19:46:49

I rarely have a bath but do understand not being able to see in the shower. I wear contacts so have to shut my eyes once I've started to wash my hair - I arrange shampoo and conditioner so I can find them and also the de-tangle comb. Hair towel is hung outside the door within reach. There have been times when this has gone wrong of course- washing hair 3 times or picking up husbands shower gel in error - Or even worse exfoliating cream?

SueDonim Wed 20-Feb-19 20:12:39

Willow do you mean you wear your contact lenses in the shower? If so, it might be better to remove them as that is the current advice. www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-body/contact-lens-safety/

A friend got a horrible amoeba infection from wearing hers in the shower. She had to have months and months of treatment at Moorfields to cure it. sad