Gransnet forums

Chat

Advice needed on buying new car ? or ?

(37 Posts)
Jacksgrandma123 Fri 22-Feb-19 14:45:42

Hi! I have had my trusty old scenic for 14 years and don't really want to part with it but suspect, sadly, its days are numbered! I'm not really a 'car' person but am feeling quite interested in the various SUVs . Do need space for baby seats and pushchair sometimes and DH loves DIY , so need good boot also. Any advice/others experience would be greatly appreciated.

J52 Sat 23-Feb-19 16:16:24

Land Rover Evoque, lovely car. Would suggest a Freelander, our past workhorse, but they’re no longer in production.

Jacksgrandma123 Sat 23-Feb-19 18:00:12

Thanks, Barleysugar! I shall have a look!

Jacksgrandma123 Sat 23-Feb-19 18:05:01

Thanks, J52. Did have a quick peek at the Evoque recently as friend got one. Looked beautiful inside. Please could you tell me if it is true that it only seats four and do you know if the boot is a good size?

kittylester Sat 23-Feb-19 18:17:10

A friend has an Evoque and the boot is smaller than my Mazda. There is a bigger Renault than the Captur -it might be called a Kadjar!

Can you tell we have recently looked at lots and lots and lots of new cars.

Jacksgrandma123 Sat 23-Feb-19 20:02:47

Thanks, Kittylester. I'm just mainly looking online. Because I keep my car till it drops to bits , it has to be right! I shall look at Kadjar. Also, have just discovered you can get SUV convertibles , even more choice!

SueDonim Sat 23-Feb-19 21:32:07

My dd has a Kia Sportage which swallows up all the baby gear she currently carts around.

You mention the E/F Pace, though. I'd find that hard to resist if I could afford it.

Winter tyres are a better bet for snow and ice than 4WD.

Jacksgrandma123 Sat 23-Feb-19 21:57:08

Thanks, SueDonim!. My friends' Sportage is lovely . The E/F pace does make my heart beat a little faster, which is unusual as not really a car person! If only it was a convertible too!! Don't remember this level of choice last time bought a car, or maybe I was just too busy to look properly with three children!
Hadn't thought about snow tyres. Must admit my old scenic coped valiantly in terrible conditions last winter where we saw many other cars in accidents or stuck, but we did feel a little vulnerable at times. Look after grandson a little on a regular basis , longish journey and need to be reliable .

Parklife1 Mon 25-Feb-19 16:09:43

My Skoda Karoq has a high spec, a spacious boot and the rear seats can be completely removed if you want for even more space. Fixings for car seats in the rear.

The seating is very adjustable, heated seats and steering wheel, connectivity, panoramic sunroof, cameras, all kinds of little touches.

J52 Mon 25-Feb-19 16:27:51

Jacks The Evoque has the capacity to seat 5. Friends have just swapped from the Evoque to an F Pace and find the MPG not very good. He likes the car, she preferred the Evoque! ?

B9exchange Mon 25-Feb-19 16:42:07

I looked at the Scenic and bought the very similar Citroen C4 Picasso, because the seats are so comfy, a brilliant ride.

Have you also thought about the Dacia Duster?

Jacksgrandma123 Mon 25-Feb-19 18:43:40

Thanks, ladies! shall have a look at the cars you've mentioned.