Gransnet forums

Chat

feeling like a nusiance

(89 Posts)
travelsafar Sat 23-Feb-19 07:54:05

Does anyone else feel like they are troubling the GP too often.I have never been to the doctors as much in my life as i have since hitting 65 for various issues which were all genuine reasons to go. I was there this week with pain in my groin and upper thigh that has been going on for several weeks now.Have to go for ultra scan as she is concerned it may be a femerol hernia???? Anyway the day after i developed a really itchy patch of skin on my lower leg that has developed into a blister about an inch wide.I also have an issue with the bone under my chin which is tender to touch or when i move my jaw but otherwise doesnt hurt. Dont want to go back incase she thinks i am a hypocondriac but these things are there and real. Does anyone else ever feel like this??

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Mon 25-Feb-19 09:11:03

Hollydoily in is international normalised ratios! ! It's tests done when you are taking warfarin medication. They test your levels to get dosage correct. 18 months having the checked weekly for blood clot on my lungs. I hadn't been to Dr for years, went as lout my breath couple times over 2 week period, managed to get an appt with a new Dr. He was thorough and probably saved my life. That was about 10 years ago think I've been back twice since!

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Mon 25-Feb-19 09:12:09

Couldn't get my breath! Wish there was an edit feature blush

GrandmaPam Mon 25-Feb-19 10:04:04

Absolutely travelsafar, I am the same, but I'm 65 now and this has been going on for the past 5 years - I feel embarrassed! Went for about 35 years without any problems to speak of, and now....wow, how long have they got! I guess that's age for you; on the plus side, free bus travel and concessions for theatre, trains etc; on the minus side, frequent flyers at the surgery!

madmum38 Mon 25-Feb-19 10:14:06

At our surgery you are only allowed to speak about one problem per appointment. I have trouble with my bones twisting, for example my kneecap is at the side of the leg. My fingers have now bent over at the top joint, my thumbs have twisted and my neck bending over but I don’t know what is the most important to make an appointment for as it all hurts just as bad so decided to keep taking my tablets and not bother.
The hospital messed my husband up so badly that he was never the same so have no trust in the medical profession anymore I’m afraid

jura2 Mon 25-Feb-19 16:50:34

Most surgeries will accept double appointments for more severe/multiple issues. Normally make 1 'normal' appointment and then GP will ask you to make a second double appointment he s/he thinks it is necessary.

GreenGran78 Mon 25-Feb-19 22:10:55

Ours just takes as long as it takes! I never feel that I am being hurried. As a result some people may be a bit late seeing the doctor, , but I'm sure that they would rather wait than be rushed through their appointment.

Ginny42 Mon 25-Feb-19 22:39:05

I go so infrequently to the Dr that I had no idea you must expect to wait about a month for an appointment with my GP. I fell ill last November whilst abroad and had treatment from a GP and a cardiologist who I saw on three occasions. I returned home with all documentation from Halter and other tests in December and a supply of the medication for an arrhythmia. I called the practice to explain and was told to take the papers to be scanned. The receptionist said they would ring if the Dr wished to see me. No call came.

When I had 8 days of meds left on 14 Feb I called to ask for an appointment and was told she would discuss it with the Dr and get back to me. No call.

By 19th Feb I had 3 days supply of meds left so I called again and was told the Dr had considered I needed a routine appointment and the first available was March 27th. I panicked. I said I appreciated that they hadn't prescribed the drug, but asked if I could have an emergency prescription till that appointment. The answer was that it wasn't her decision, it was the Dr's and he had said it was a routine appointment.

I booked a flight and returned to see the cardiologist who had conducted all the tests and I have a supply of the beta blockers. The good news is that he told me there is now no sign of the arrhythmia. I'm extremely fortunate to be able to afford to get to the original professional who dealt with my holiday emergency. Yes, it's cost me a few hundred pounds, but it's my health after all. I've since learned from friends and neighbours that they can't get appointments in less that two weeks unless it's an emergency.

MaudLillian Tue 26-Feb-19 08:55:12

No. Never feel you are a nuisance to the doctor. Your health is important, and missing the early signs of something serious can cost the NHS far more than you 'bothering' the GP for something that - thankfully - turns out to be nothing to worry about.

Any doctors that make anyone feel bad for 'bothering' them should probably face disciplinary action! But they don't, they get away with it, and people just put up with it. Often, just getting an appointment is a trial! Receptionists often seem to feel it's their job to prevent the doctors being 'bothered' at all!!

Ginny42 Tue 26-Feb-19 13:37:54

madmum38, your condition sounds extremely painful, are you sure you shouldn't just be a 'nuisance' and explain to the receptionist that you have pain in more than one joint so need to discuss your overall health with the GP? Do take care of yourself.

madmum38 Tue 26-Feb-19 14:41:54

MaudLillian. Last time I saw him when it was just the knee and the ankles being at the front of my foot he did send me to the hospital and I was told it was because of long term diabetes, never knew that happened. Was also told my shoulders are permanently frozen and I should have had therapy when it first happened, my doctor said I didn’t need it and would be a waste of time and probably be better by the time the appointment came through, that’s about 8 years ago. My thumbs turn out and he said that would also clear in time, hasn’t. 4 years ago I had what looked like a stroke and my daughter took me to hospital where I was sent to a stroke unit overnight, was then decided it was Bells Palsey and would clear up within six weeks. I still can’t speak properly, one side of my mouth turns down and have to drink from a babies beaker, my food has to be puréed because my larynx still doesn’t work so I did go to the doctor then who sent me to a neurologist after speaking with me I was told that two of the tablets the doctor prescribes shouldn’t be taken together and definitely not long term, I have had them over 10 years, and it would have caused brain damage but he wanted to do a scan, by the time the letter went to the doctor and then come to me it had changed to being said it was in the mind, I gave up then and didn’t go back so just live like it now and get on. Had speech therapy and see dietician for a while but was told they couldn’t ever see it improving.
Sorry for such a long, boring post

Ginny42 Tue 26-Feb-19 17:28:30

madmum38, it makes me very sad to read of what you're coping with and with such resilience. I had Bell's Palsy years ago and I believe it was the steroids my GP at the time put me on right away that probably saved me from the suffering you're enduring. There is a support group website where you find there are local groups in most areas. It might help to chat to others about coping strategies.
www.facialpalsy.org.uk/support/local-groups/

Hugs for being brave. flowers

madmum38 Tue 26-Feb-19 20:12:56

Thank you Ginny

annep1 Tue 26-Feb-19 22:11:43

Yes. I feel like a nuisance too. Some people have good health and some bad. Its not my fault- or yours. I feel embarrassed too and stressed. What can you do. It won't stop me going if I need to. just have to live with feeling like this.