Gransnet forums

Chat

How much is the most you would pay?

(164 Posts)
trisher Sat 23-Feb-19 12:55:32

I've come to the conclusion that I set quite low limits compared with other people about how much I will pay for things. A friend and I were discussing theatre tickets, I find £50 about enough but wouldn't go past £100 which apparently means most London theatres now. I think £200 dresses are too much apart maybe for a one off occasion like a wedding and then I would have to be sure I loved it and couldn't find anything cheaper. Do you set limits on what you pay for things?

shandi6570 Sat 23-Feb-19 16:48:57

Maggiemaybe I'm jealous that you can still fit into something that you bought over 20 years ago grin.

annsixty Sat 23-Feb-19 16:52:14

I now know I am a tightwad.
I have never paid £100 for a coat, I don't wear dresses but £35 is the most I
Have ever paid for trousers but Have been known to buy good tops but not many of them.
When out for a meal I constantly compare the cost with how much I could have cooked it for at home
If only my bank balance showed the result of this tightness.

lemongrove Sat 23-Feb-19 16:55:02

Well, being from Yorkshire, am even more of a cheapskate than you trisher I always want a bargain.
Have never spent a great deal on clothes ( but look reasonable I hope) and never more than £35 ish on theatre tickets.
Our three AC have all had weddings, and again I didn’t spend much on an outfit ( there’s really no need.)

Maggiemaybe Sat 23-Feb-19 16:56:07

Thank you, shandi. I’m too thrifty to put weight on and have to buy new clothes. wink

lemongrove Sat 23-Feb-19 16:57:18

annsixty I do that too ( comparing meal prices to home!)
Especially with puds.grin
DH says darkly if we are out and ordering coffee and cake
‘Don’t get started!’ Haha.

Maggiemaybe Sat 23-Feb-19 17:17:28

I’m worse when it comes to drinks out. I was grumpily calculating the cost of the ingredients in my g & t at our quiz night this week. DH is always embarrassed anyway by my answer to “what gin would you like, which tonic?”. The cheapest. grin

Mapleleaf Sat 23-Feb-19 17:27:55

You may well be right there, Maggiemaybe, as I've got some things that weren't particularly expensive, but have lasted well. There are expensive things that aren't very good quality, I agree. Some sell purely because of their label rather than how well they are made. I think I've inherited my Mums tendency to look at things before buying - are the hems straight, is the stitching strong, do the patterns match at joins, etc! ?? ( She worked for a dress maker before the war and made a lot of our clothing - a skill I didn't inherit, unfortunately, and so was well aware of these things). I think she would despair at what passes quality control nowadays!

trisher Sat 23-Feb-19 17:47:31

Thanks so much for all these lovely comments and for being skinflints. I was shocked to hear how much some things cost and I really don't understand designer labels. I was in the children's department of a shop the other day and they had designer stuff for kids!!!

Jalima1108 Sat 23-Feb-19 17:52:50

I'd feel quite sick (butterflies in the tum!) at paying £200 for a dress. That's probably why I dislike going shopping for clothes because I look at the prices and think No.

We were out somewhere recently and DH was grumbling that, for 2 coffees and a sandwich for him, cheese scone for me he paid £14.90!

I like a spritzer and one pub charged £8.50 - it's just a small white wine topped up with soda.

Jalima1108 Sat 23-Feb-19 17:59:23

I did pay about twice that for a wedding outfit many years ago - but that included shoes, bag and hat - worn twice and has sat in the wardrobe ever since (just in case I have an 'occasion' to go to).

notoveryet Sat 23-Feb-19 18:02:49

I will pay no more than £35 for concert/theatre tickets, £3 for a sandwich and I'm still wearing clothes I wore at work 10 years ago which mainly came from my friend's catalogue. We do buy good quality food, organic where possible and one of my dogs has a total cereal and rice allergy so his food is pricey.

KatyK Sat 23-Feb-19 18:07:19

We paid £10 for two glasses of wine in a pub in Windermere. We watched the barman pour it. It was the same wine we buy in Aldi for £3.49 a bottle. DH was not impressed.

PECS Sat 23-Feb-19 18:37:40

My wedding dress cost £35 from Dickens & Jones in Richmond..1971.. about £430 in today's rates!

DH and I pay out for gigs/theatre and eating out. I never think how much cheaper it would be if I was at home! I go out to meet friends, be entertained and to enjoy my time with DH & pals .. it would spoil the event! If I have decided to pay out why then mutter about the cost.. unless it is an unexpectedly disappointing meal/ show? W go to the cinema a lot too.. TV screen not the same!

I rarely buy a full priced item of clothing.. always in a sale!
I usually pay more for everyday clothes than 'occasion' wear as I don't go to many occasions when posh frocks etc are required! I trawl charity shops and make some of my own clothes.

I do buy Neale's Yard toiletries …..

BlueBelle Sat 23-Feb-19 18:43:10

Oh I don’t feel half so bad now I m not the poor relation
And I love charity shops for great little buys I get more excitment out at a £5 barging than some would get for a £200 outfit

kittylester Sat 23-Feb-19 18:52:12

We are happy to pay whatever it costs for theatre and concert tickets or eating out and buy good shoes and trousers but tops are more disposable so often cheaper apart from special occasion such.

We spend a lot of time at home so are happy to spend money on good house stuff and food and drink.

Gagagran Sat 23-Feb-19 18:55:43

I buy a lot of stuff from EverythingFivePounds.com. My current winter car coat is from Edinburgh Woollen Mill and has been much admired. Cost? Yes £5 (plus £3.99 p&P).

You don't know what make the items are, as the labels are snipped out, but the EWM label was in my coat.

I would never pay £200 for a dress even if I was wealthy. Yorkshire folk have always been thrifty and like a bargain and I am definitely of that persuasion.

paddyann Sat 23-Feb-19 19:06:06

I always wanted to see Barbra Sreisand but when she came to London a few years ago the cheapest tickets were over £500 add the travel cost and hotel etc and it would have been a very expensive concert so although my OH said he'd buy the tickets for me I refused.I wouldn't dream of paying that amount even for her.
I always say I spend my money on books .cd's and good wine .I buy wine by the case and even though I rarely drink at all I like my winerack full .Then I end up giving it to SIL when he visits and says he likes it...lol
.I wont buy cheap food as I think with food you get what you pay for and my mother never fed us rubbish so my family have always been well fed.
My main vice is skincare and I do spend money on that I buy Elemis products although I stockpile them when they are on special offer.I hate clothes shopping and OH has to drag me round the shops now and again though online shopping suits because I can try it and send it back .Aren't we all very different

GrannyGravy13 Sat 23-Feb-19 19:31:44

Paddyann if you like Elemis have a look at Emma Hardie - only available online, I have just been converted by my sister.

watermeadow Sat 23-Feb-19 20:44:06

I’ve never been to a show but do go to concerts now and again.
All my clothes and shoes come from charity shops.
Eating out is an occasional treat and I don’t drink alcohol.
I have a large family so have to set strict limits on the price of presents.
I only buy household goods when necessary.
Skinflint or just careful? My income is about a third of the national average.

NanKate Sat 23-Feb-19 20:59:33

We are fortunate to have 6 good charity shops in our town so I never pay more than £15.00 for any clothes. I do buy trousers new.

The only concert or tournament I would pay big time money for is to see Rafa Nadal play tennis or Stevie Wonder in concert (seen him 3 times). I would also like to see the Tina Turner Show, must work on DH to take me for an overnight stay in London to see that show. We only live about 25 miles from London but can’t face coming back on late night trains.

I wouldn’t be prepared to pay large amounts on meals in luxury restaurants. DH would be asking ‘where are the vegetables’ ?

sodapop Sat 23-Feb-19 21:12:53

Oh dear I love to spend but am much more discerning now than I was when I was young. I spend on books, my dogs and my weakness for Clarins skin care products. I keep to my budget more or less but I don't feel guilty about the occasional nice coffee and cake or a meal out. Like most people on here I've worked all my life, saved in a pension so I enjoy a treat.

SueDonim Sat 23-Feb-19 21:26:09

I can't imagine paying £200 for a dress. I got my entire outfit for my dd's wedding for a lot less than that. Admittedly, I was lucky that the items I'd been looking at went on sale just two days after I'd seen them in Debenhams!

I don't buy in charity shops, I hate the smell of them and I wore hand-me-downs as a child so don't wish to now.

Theatre ticket prices do make me gulp a bit so I am selective about what I see. I paid over £100 each to see Fleetwood Mac in 2013 but it was so worth the cost. I 'saved' money by not staying overnight even though it meant not getting home until about 2am. Paying out for Leonard Cohen was also worth it. Both were memorable occasions.

My mother is always complaining about the cost of tea/coffee and cake when we go out. It drives me round the bend because I always pay so it doesn't cost her a thing!! confused

GrannyGravy13 Sat 23-Feb-19 21:27:55

Nankate we saw Tina the musical in January, cried and laughed flipping fabulous! Christmas gift from AC, go for a matinee much easier for travel.

boat Sat 23-Feb-19 21:39:34

This is living in the past but 50 years ago when my home was in London we paid three shillings (15p) to stand on one side of the raked staircase in theatres. No one was bothered if you sat once the the house lights went down.

I belonged to Unity Theatre so like Charliegir15 was offered tickets for West End productions but usually for the same day. We would turn up and often sit in the front row of the stalls after hours
spent painting scenery, in our overalls splattered with paint. I often wondered what the people who had paid £8 thought.

Today I would not pay the prices that are asked for theatre and other events. I'd rather contribute to food banks (the hidden tax).

Urmstongran Sat 23-Feb-19 21:48:25

We’ve been out in a bar in Urmston tonight. A large glass of white wine (me) a bottle of alcohol free lager (husband) and a teacup of nuts = £13.90