Gransnet forums

Chat

This made me think today

(61 Posts)
grannyqueenie Sun 10-Mar-19 23:01:34

We’ve all got our own worries, whether it’s concerns about the family, health issues or financial constraints. It’s only natural to think about these things and sometimes lose a bit of sleep in the process. Reading this today just reminded me of the importance of not missing the good things of today by wortying about what may, or equally may not, happen tomorrow. Please don’t misunderstand me, I’m very aware that many folk are dealing with with huge issues and I wouldn’t want to minimise that in any way. A reminder to myself as much as anyone else!

AmberMarie Mon 11-Mar-19 13:08:58

Very nice

Legs55 Mon 11-Mar-19 13:11:01

I have a card on my corkboard in the kitchen "Today is the tomorrow I worried about yesterday and all is well" I see this every morning when I make my 1st brew.

Nanny41 Mon 11-Mar-19 13:13:54

Grannyqueenie, this is lovely and inspirational.I am a worrier, and I often think of what somebody said once, cant remember who, " you die if you worry and you die if you dont,so why worrry at all" also very true and good to remember at four in the morning when sleep is far away.

Jaycee5 Mon 11-Mar-19 13:15:34

I think if you are a worrier and you try not to worry then you worry about worrying. The problem is that it affects sleep and it is harder to keep things in perspective and keep clam when you are over tired.
My downstairs neighbour has rung me and asked me to go down this afternoon to talk again about our nightmare neighbour. He is 90 and I am seriously worried now that the stress of dealing with her is going to kill him as he has serious heart problems. Worrying about that won't help but it is what motivated me to contact the Council and tell them that we would sue them if they didn't start to deal with this. I also don't want to spend 2 hours helping him with the diary logs that we are now having to do for the third time.
I do often have to force myself to de-stress but I really don't think that people can just stop being worriers.

CarlyD7 Mon 11-Mar-19 14:05:00

I definitely worry much less than I used to - basically because some awful things have happened in my life and through them I discovered that I am MUCH stronger and able to cope with things going wrong than I ever dreamed. I also remind myself: yesterday is gone, tomorrow isn't here yet; you are only guaranteed today - so enjoy it !

showergelfresh Mon 11-Mar-19 14:15:10

Brilliant grannyqueenie
Thanks for that bit of wisdom or rather huge amount of wisdom.
xx
smile

Bathsheba Mon 11-Mar-19 14:38:04

I love that grannyqueenie! Thank you ?

nanaK54 Mon 11-Mar-19 16:14:38

Once when my dear mum was still with us she said to one of her friends "I don't worry about anything at all I just ring one of my daughters and they sort out any problem for me"
Damn - I 'forgot' to have any daughters grin

minxie Mon 11-Mar-19 16:18:27

I’ve been through a horrid time since December, a friend suggested that I write three positive things down in my diary every day, however small
This has really helped especially when you read back. Some days I wrote, a lovely sunny day and I just had the most enormous fresh cream chocolate eclair
Try it Ladies, it may help

OPgrndtr Mon 11-Mar-19 16:27:43

I have a quote from Emerson on a magnet on the fridge. I bought it for myself a few years ago, and it has helped.

finish each day and be done with it.
you have done what you could.
some blunders and absurdities have crept in;
forget them as soon as you can.
tomorrow is a new day.
you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit
to be encumbered with your old nonsense.

mamaa Mon 11-Mar-19 17:43:21

My Mum 88, now sadly struggling with Alzheimers, was always a worrier. My family remarked that she'd even start to worry if ever she had nothing to worry about. She was always concerned about what others would think and would worry about the smallest 'what-ifs'.
My MIL also 88, still hail and hearty and sharp as a pin had the attitude that worrying didn't make things any better so there was no point in it.
Ive tried to be more like MIL and manged it quite well but as the years have gone by and now with grandchildren etc I have started to worry more and the what-if's are creeping in. Note to self: be more like MIL in future as shes right, worrying only clouds the issues- thanks for the reminder
grannyqueenie

mamaa Mon 11-Mar-19 17:44:09

managed ^^ not manged!

Gonegirl Mon 11-Mar-19 17:51:55

That is so lovely. Thank you. smile

Phoebes Mon 11-Mar-19 18:18:22

St. Matthew Chapter 6: Consider the lilies. (The Sermon on the Mount).

GillT57 Mon 11-Mar-19 18:20:16

I am a career worried. If I wake up in the early hours my heart sinks because I know I will run things over and over in my mind. My grandmother was the same,if there was nothing to worry about she would be convinced the family were keeping something from her.

Juliet27 Mon 11-Mar-19 19:48:44

Gilly...your comment “Your mother isn’t happy unless she has something to worry about” reminded me that my mother used to say that about me. I do remember a friend laughing at me when I told her one day that I was really worried that I had nothing too worry about!

Juliet27 Mon 11-Mar-19 19:52:32

Mamaa...like your mum, I too constantly worry about what others would think...it does make life uncomfortable.

justanovice Mon 11-Mar-19 22:05:56

That's lovely. Just what I needed.

annodomini Mon 11-Mar-19 22:26:00

My Mum was an inveterate worrier. She worried more about me than I have ever worried about myself or about my DSs and DC. It's never been a conscious decision on my part - I'm just not made that way. Worrying has never changed anything! However, it sometimes happens that if there is something on my mind it comes out in strange dreams, but perhaps that is what dreams are for - unravelling the webs we've woven by day.

Day6 Mon 11-Mar-19 22:31:10

Thank you *grannyqueenie" Wise ords.

I am a worrier. Always have been. I could worry for England. If there were a worry-warts race, I'd win it. Gold medal Olympian for worrying and being anxious. grin

Over the years however, the old adage "I'll cross that bridge when I come to it" has helped me. It's no good worrying in advance about what 'might' happen. I also know (from living this long) that I am a survivor. I have faced hellish times but I am still standing. We are stronger than we think.

Now is all we have. It helps me when I remember that and try to be mindful of all the lovely things that happen during the course of a day, no matter how small.

Brigidsdaughter Mon 11-Mar-19 23:06:38

video.nationalgeographic.com/video/short-film-showcase/00000158-457d-d0be-a1dc-4f7f8e650000
Starlings Murmuration. It's uplifting in a world of flux

Elenkalubleton Tue 12-Mar-19 07:43:13

Hi,I have a worry,hope someone can help?Am in process of signing papers for POA for my husband, he has a memory test on the 1st April, signed first lot yesterday and when daughters have signed later this week will be posted off.Its a friend who’s handling the POA he is not a solicitor, but is a Will writer,because of a backlog the papers may not be authorised before April 1 st.I don’t know anyone who’s been in this situation, Will the POA be valid?

kittylester Tue 12-Mar-19 08:16:53

Just having a positive memory test does not mean that your husband automatically has a lack of mental capacity. It could be years before you have to use the POA.

The forms are very easy to do on line and probably quicker. The Office of the Public Guardian people are very helpful too.

Ashcombe Tue 12-Mar-19 08:19:23

Like others here, my dear late mother worried about everything. She spent her final year in a care home, where the Manager would sit with her each morning and say, “Now, what are you worried about today, Sylvia?”
I like the idea that worrying is caring by another name.

OldGeezer Tue 12-Mar-19 08:26:59

My sadly missed partner (as in business partner) tried to live by: Worry about the things you can change and accept with good grace those things that you cannot.