Gransnet forums

Chat

Favourite Furniture ?

(80 Posts)
Urmstongran Wed 13-Mar-19 11:06:33

Mine is a ‘G Plan’ teak dining table and 6 chairs bought and used every day since 1974. It would now be called ‘retro’ I suppose! I shall never replace it.

I love to think of all those people, family and dear friends, some no longer part of my life who have sat around it sharing food and laughter. I even wonder if there’d be traces of DNA in the grain of the wood from those now departed? That probably sounds a bit weird but strangely I find it gives me comfort.

Christmas, Easter, christening buffets, birthday parties celebrated long ago, book club gatherings, a leaving dinner with friends for someone dear who was moving to Australia. I just look at my table and the memories come flooding back.
I’m
Do you have a favourite piece of furniture and if so, why?

farview Wed 22-Jul-20 09:55:53

Mine is a childs rocking chair that I got for Christmas in 1955...I've reupholstered it twice...still gets used by my 3year old GS.

craftyone Wed 22-Jul-20 07:08:53

I have a floor to ceiling curved cupboard with 6 doors 2 are glass including a curved one and 2 drawers at the bottom. We bought it and some other bits in 2006. This was the start of us buying modular light oak furniture, the change in our lifestyle after the children left home.

SamirBeck Wed 22-Jul-20 04:43:54

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Mollster Fri 15-Mar-19 13:52:13

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

HillyN Thu 14-Mar-19 22:29:42

My favourite piece of furniture is my sewing cabinet. I bought it about 35 years ago with some money my Gran left me in her will. She was a tailoress before she married and passed her love of sewing on to me.
It used to all fold away into a neat cupboard which took up very little room when we had a full house. The hydraulic mechanism has seized up with age, but since I now have my own sewing/craft room I can leave it open. I still love it.

Urmstongran Thu 14-Mar-19 21:05:46

Wowzer Gaggi3 that cutlery canteen sounds pretty amazing!

Urmstongran Thu 14-Mar-19 21:01:39

breeze ❤️

Urmstongran Thu 14-Mar-19 20:59:55

’Teak shines up so well’ newnanny? Have I been supposed to dust mine all these years? Who knew?
Heh heh!
??

BBbevan Thu 14-Mar-19 20:53:55

Very large 1970's Habitat sofa. Recovered several times. Now in a William Morris print. DH can lie full length on it and often does.

Urmstongran Thu 14-Mar-19 20:48:51

Hello everyone I’ve been out all day and I just want to say thank you all SO much for posting on this forum. I’m catching up with all your stories and they are an absolute delight to read! And I love the photos! Some of you are so clever to be able to do that.

I just read as far as the Welsh dresser which looks gorgeous painted in chalk white - what a super idea!

Going to make a cuppa now and read the rest - they’re such lovely tales and with little snapshots of your families and lifestyle choices. Thank you ladies for taking the time to post.
?

nanny2507 Thu 14-Mar-19 20:47:18

ooooo gonegirl that is lovely! mine is a mirror...when we moved into this house 3 years ago it was a hovel. we have totally remodeled it and the mirror was part of a hideous bank of wardrobes hand made (badly) in the 70,s. however this mirror is way older than that id say 40,s or 50,s so i kept it and its in my AD "room"

GabriellaG54 Thu 14-Mar-19 20:39:28

Jalima1108
Yes, it is. There was also a piece of paper curled inside which names the ship as the Frederich(e) de Grosse which was scuttled from which the barrel came. It's wood, somewhat rough inside, marked with barrel lines outside and only about 3-4" high.

4allweknow Thu 14-Mar-19 20:25:47

Lived where the famous McIntosh furniture was made, competitor of GPlan. People raved about them, thinking they were buying real wood furniture. If only the knew. In the 60s I went for Greaves and Thomas furniture for dining and sitting room. Had for 40 years and gave it to a young couple who had admired it for years when they married as I was moving and decided to have something new. My treasure is a nest of tables my husband made. Had yearned for an Ercol set but couldn't afford one. He basically copied making a tiny change to deal with copyright. I absolutely love it.

Harris27 Thu 14-Mar-19 19:11:14

Love that auntieflo gorgeous!

Barmeyoldbat Thu 14-Mar-19 19:08:31

We ;bought two Ecrol sofas, one for him and one for me. They are exactly the right length to recline on and just so comfortable. Lying on this by the woodturner is my idea of heaven.

Gaggi3 Thu 14-Mar-19 18:29:49

Like MOnica's, many pieces of our furniture are inherited and keep the memories of their original owners alive. One of my favourites is the regency style sideboard that always makes me think of my dear MiL. It's elegant, as was she until her death at 90. Another is the cutlery canteen that is like a small desk on legs, with a dozen comprehensive place settings, including lobster picks.

Grandmama Thu 14-Mar-19 18:07:10

I have a wooden mini-armchair with the name of my paternal grandfather carved on it (the sort of old-fashioned wooden armchair the bank manager might have had, perhaps Capt Mainwaring has one).

My dining table came from a sale room in the 1970s, it's oval on a central pedestal and I wonder about all the families that sat round it before I bought it. Although it's polished it bears the mark of time so I'm not too precious about the surface wear and tear.

dogsmother Thu 14-Mar-19 16:39:58

My bed!
Every night I get in and say the same thing and that is......
I love my bed.
And I so love getting in every night.

andycameron69 Thu 14-Mar-19 16:34:32

what a lovely thread, I love the comments.

Mine would be My grandmothers butler tray table I put my red Roberts radios on it, looks fab

and other furniture I buy from charity or car boots and paint sand refurb. I love doing that

HannahLoisLuke Thu 14-Mar-19 15:44:51

Mine is also a dining table. A large Georgian mahogany table which you can wind out and drop an extra leaf in the middle. It has brass and ceramic casters and carved legs.
It was given to me by a boyfriend of the day who was redecorating his flat, part of a Georgian house so the table should really have stayed there. Instead I had it in my 60s maisonette and its moved with me until now where sadly I don't have space for it. Happily my daughter is taking it on
So it's staying in the family.
The boyfriend tragically died thirty years ago but the table is a lovely reminder of him, along with a 1920s sit up bicycle that he found and renovated for me.

breeze Thu 14-Mar-19 15:31:49

I looked at my massive dining table today and giggled hysterically! But that's because they've only just gone and I'm still reeling from all those meals grin

Joking aside Urmstongran I actually filled up when I read your post this morning. We've had some wonderful times around that big table. A lot, including my darling sister, are no longer with us. I hadn't thought about it before so it made me feel nostalgic.

My son has a 3/4 length mirror at his flat that was bought for my 18th birthday. When we took it over there it made me think of how many years I had looked at my reflection in it. So many styles from the 70's until recently. Needed to be wider in recent years grin

lemongrove Thu 14-Mar-19 15:24:14

Jalima...I know! Hated to see it sawn up, but DH had tried every avenue available to sell or give it away, and absolutely nobody wanted it.Charities said they had whole rooms full of old brown furniture and couldn’t get rid of it, the social services said the same.
Anyway, he refused to pay the council to take it away so chopped it up and took it to the tip.
We don’t regret it, and love the new furniture, but a shame that we couldn’t give it away as it was such good quality.

newnanny Thu 14-Mar-19 15:23:28

Urmstongran I also have a Gplan dining table. I have two matching large units in dining room, a further large unit in lounge, a coffee table and TV table all teak and all matching. I like teak, it is a warm wood and shines up so well.

mamamags Thu 14-Mar-19 15:11:03

I went to pick up a washer that we were desperate for and fell in love wth a french dresser they also had for sale. It had gorgeous stained glass doors and curved cupboards and drawers .
That was over 50 years ago. several new washers since then but still have my dresser, as beautiful as ever.
My two daughters both want it when my sell by date comes up?

Esther1 Thu 14-Mar-19 14:56:38

I have the most useful ‘occasional’ table. My own parents bought it when you could only buy Utility furniture after the war, so it’s just plain serviceable, worth nothing but holds such dear memories. My brother who is nearly 70 remembers teatimes in front of the fire and the table holding the fish paste sandwiches.