Gransnet forums

Chat

Favourite Furniture ?

(79 Posts)
EllanVannin Wed 13-Mar-19 11:24:32

A solid teak occasional table with elephants on four sides along with two solid teak stools supported by carved elephants complete with their tusks. Heavy and everlasting.

Both items are unique and have been in the family for years.

KatyK Wed 13-Mar-19 11:14:45

I love our cream leather three piece suite. We have always had sensible, dark suites that wouldn't show marks. When we bought this one we headed as usual for the dark sensible ones. Then we came upon this gorgeous, totally impractical one and we went for it. I'm so happy with it. It's about five years old now and has stayed lovely and clean. I got biro on it once and it's just wiped off.

Greyduster Wed 13-Mar-19 11:13:47

Mine is a Parker Knoll Norton recliner that we have had for over thirty years. It has been re-upholstered twice, but the mechanism is still good and it is my go-to chair when my back is troublesome, or when I am just plain bone weary. I suppose we will have to part with it sooner or later, but I will miss it when we do.

Urmstongran Wed 13-Mar-19 11:06:33

Mine is a ‘G Plan’ teak dining table and 6 chairs bought and used every day since 1974. It would now be called ‘retro’ I suppose! I shall never replace it.

I love to think of all those people, family and dear friends, some no longer part of my life who have sat around it sharing food and laughter. I even wonder if there’d be traces of DNA in the grain of the wood from those now departed? That probably sounds a bit weird but strangely I find it gives me comfort.

Christmas, Easter, christening buffets, birthday parties celebrated long ago, book club gatherings, a leaving dinner with friends for someone dear who was moving to Australia. I just look at my table and the memories come flooding back.
I’m
Do you have a favourite piece of furniture and if so, why?