Gransnet forums

Chat

Favourite Furniture ?

(79 Posts)
Urmstongran Wed 13-Mar-19 11:06:33

Mine is a ‘G Plan’ teak dining table and 6 chairs bought and used every day since 1974. It would now be called ‘retro’ I suppose! I shall never replace it.

I love to think of all those people, family and dear friends, some no longer part of my life who have sat around it sharing food and laughter. I even wonder if there’d be traces of DNA in the grain of the wood from those now departed? That probably sounds a bit weird but strangely I find it gives me comfort.

Christmas, Easter, christening buffets, birthday parties celebrated long ago, book club gatherings, a leaving dinner with friends for someone dear who was moving to Australia. I just look at my table and the memories come flooding back.
I’m
Do you have a favourite piece of furniture and if so, why?

Greyduster Wed 13-Mar-19 11:13:47

Mine is a Parker Knoll Norton recliner that we have had for over thirty years. It has been re-upholstered twice, but the mechanism is still good and it is my go-to chair when my back is troublesome, or when I am just plain bone weary. I suppose we will have to part with it sooner or later, but I will miss it when we do.

KatyK Wed 13-Mar-19 11:14:45

I love our cream leather three piece suite. We have always had sensible, dark suites that wouldn't show marks. When we bought this one we headed as usual for the dark sensible ones. Then we came upon this gorgeous, totally impractical one and we went for it. I'm so happy with it. It's about five years old now and has stayed lovely and clean. I got biro on it once and it's just wiped off.

EllanVannin Wed 13-Mar-19 11:24:32

A solid teak occasional table with elephants on four sides along with two solid teak stools supported by carved elephants complete with their tusks. Heavy and everlasting.

Both items are unique and have been in the family for years.

glammanana Wed 13-Mar-19 11:38:15

A beautiful all glass coffee table from M&S found by chance in a warehouse for M&S furniture.
It is quite large and sits nicely in the middle of the room which is not very large really but with it being all glass it gives a great illusion of space to the room,I just love it.

lemongrove Wed 13-Mar-19 11:39:04

Urmston we also had a GPlan teak extending dining table and chairs, that we bought in 1969 and ten years ago decided must go (for new oak furniture) it did hold many memories I suppose ( hadn’t thought of that before).
In the end, it had to be sawn up and disposed of as even charities wouldn’t take it, saying that nobody wants teak furniture nowadays,what a waste.

I don’t really get attached to furniture, so your question has made me think...?
But I really like a new-ish oak bookcase with carved panels,
And I have a super comfy chair in the conservatory ( good for naps!)

Urmstongran Wed 13-Mar-19 11:51:14

Hi lemongrove I wonder if it’s a similar design? Mine has a ‘butterfly’ option to extend the table. I can well imagine no one else wanting it nowadays - which is fine by me as I shall never part with it ha!

lemongrove Wed 13-Mar-19 12:04:55

Yes, the butterfly option, so easy to extend.
Ours was round, which when extended became oval, could well be the same as yours?

Urmstongran Wed 13-Mar-19 12:07:09

Snap! ?

Framilode Wed 13-Mar-19 12:10:39

Urmstongran I had a G plan dining table, chairs and sideboard. I got rid of it because I thought it was out of date. I so regret it. Never mind that they are the height of fashion now, the quality was so good and it always reminded me of my mum. I remember going with her to choose it in Heelas, Reading when I was 12.

We live and learn.

ninathenana Wed 13-Mar-19 13:18:56

Not particularly a favourite item but we have a Schreiber wall display unit that we've had 35 + yrs. Wouldn't replace it as it's so practical.

rubysong Wed 13-Mar-19 13:28:54

A small pine chest of drawers/cupboard bought by my late mother more than fifty years ago from a house auction. At various times it was in the kitchen (painted red), in the bathroom (painted black) and beside the bed (stripped pine). When the house was cleared it came to me and we had it by the bed for many years. It is now in our kitchen, painted cream and with a new top. It is a super kitchen island just the right height for kneading bread or making pastry. Mother paid ten shillings for it.

BassGrammy Wed 13-Mar-19 13:30:50

I had a lovely side table which belonged to my mum. It has been in my dining room until a month ago when it had to go to make room for new furniture. I asked my daughter if she’d like it and to my surprise she said yes, but now she tells me she’s going to paint it. I have told myself it’s better to keep in in the family and renovate it, than get rid completely!

rosecarmel Wed 13-Mar-19 14:30:53

A recent favorite piece is a group photograph of my mum taken when she was in grade 1, about age 6/7- Just prior to the Great Depression by a couple/few- Mum is approaching 100 ..

Cherrytree59 Wed 13-Mar-19 14:47:18

Mine is (as I have recently mentioned on another thread) a large piece of tree with solid elephants carved all round climbing towards the top.
My DH saw how much I admired it and went back and bought it for me.
I look at and touch virtually everyday.

My 3 grandsons love it so a bit of a conundrum as to which one to leave it to.confused

Well done all the wise GNers who still have their G plan furniture I am rather envious.
We have modern 'Retro'
Settee and chairs which I
am more than happy with.smile

kittylester Wed 13-Mar-19 14:48:36

Auntie Sally's gateleg dining table. It is oval, oak and quite small with barley twist legs. We use it 'unopened' with decanters on in the lounge as it's not big enough to be practical for us but it is pressed into use when we have a full house.

I also love our retro Danish made dining furniture which we have acquired over the last 10 years or so. The table seats 12 at a squeeze and is open all the time but the best bit is the sideboard -Danish again - it makes me feel like proper grown up!

We also have my granny's grandfather clock - actually a grandmother clock. It was at granny's house until she died, then my parent's house and it's now in our hall. It has Westminster chimes which are really comforting to hear.

paddyann Wed 13-Mar-19 14:54:05

I dont get sentimental over "things" I do have a small chest of drawers that is chinese /oriental with 7 drawers of varying sizes that we've kept when everything else in the house has long since been changed.My Buddha sits on it with a line of 4 copper candle holders that match the handles on the drawers and the beaten hinges .I cant imagine getting rid of it but never say never ,the day may come when I decide it has to go.

DanniRae Wed 13-Mar-19 14:57:02

I like my G plan wall units. They have been in use since we got married in 1970. They hold books, dvd's and family photos and at Christmas time all the family Christmas cards go on it. I collect china jugs and all my favourites are displayed there as well.

Gonegirl Wed 13-Mar-19 15:11:29

I bought this display cabinet fiftytwo years ago when I was 25 and engaged. It's probably hideous by today's standards but I'm keeping it.

Auntieflo Wed 13-Mar-19 15:57:22

Urmstongran, we also have a G-Plan dining room suite, table, sideboard and 4 chairs. We bought ours in 1961, and would never part with it. It is so IN now. It does not extend, but folds in half, for small spaces. The chairs have been re-upholstered a couple of times, and all have worn well, and the sideboard holds a multitude of bits and pieces.

Auntieflo Wed 13-Mar-19 16:18:40

I got side-tracked, as one favourite piece of furniture is from my parents in law. It sits in the hall, and is great as a shoe cupboard. I’m not sure what make it is, could be an old Ercol or similar.

dragonfly46 Wed 13-Mar-19 16:26:14

Having travelled around a lot and rented out a house in London for 18 years I do not have any attachment to things fortunately.

callgirl1 Wed 13-Mar-19 17:15:35

Mine is my William Morris mahogany wall unit/display cabinet. My family keep telling me it`s too big for this room, they`re probably right, but I need somewhere for my ornaments and glassware, a small unit just would not do.

M0nica Wed 13-Mar-19 18:40:19

Most of our furniture was inherited, or rather when clearing family houses we swapped their nice pieces for our not so good pieces, so almost everything holds memories and which memory is most precious it is difficult to tell.

bunny17 Thu 14-Mar-19 10:16:01

Ahh urnstogran that's lovely?