Gransnet forums

Chat

Favourite Furniture ?

(80 Posts)
Urmstongran Wed 13-Mar-19 11:06:33

Mine is a ‘G Plan’ teak dining table and 6 chairs bought and used every day since 1974. It would now be called ‘retro’ I suppose! I shall never replace it.

I love to think of all those people, family and dear friends, some no longer part of my life who have sat around it sharing food and laughter. I even wonder if there’d be traces of DNA in the grain of the wood from those now departed? That probably sounds a bit weird but strangely I find it gives me comfort.

Christmas, Easter, christening buffets, birthday parties celebrated long ago, book club gatherings, a leaving dinner with friends for someone dear who was moving to Australia. I just look at my table and the memories come flooding back.
I’m
Do you have a favourite piece of furniture and if so, why?

sazz1 Thu 14-Mar-19 10:32:05

My £1 washstand type oak cupboard that I bid for at an auction as nobody else wanted it! Only thing I've kept over the years.

Newatthis Thu 14-Mar-19 10:41:36

After 15 house moves I can't remember mine but as it was military issue, it was probably Gplan basic style but I remember being plunged into a life of dinner parties, which were expected to be reciprocated, so was probably very grateful for it.

Grannybadger Thu 14-Mar-19 10:46:15

For me it’s the G Plan desk/bureau that was my mother’s that I inherited on her passing 2 years ago. I remember her excitement when she bought it when I was around 10 years old, which now makes it 50 years old. I use it now as a desk for when I am studying for my Masters Degree with The Open University.

MissAdventure Thu 14-Mar-19 11:11:02

My dad made this table (the glass is cut from a bus windscreen) and it was one of the things to sort out when my mum died.

I was reluctant to take on any 'clutter', but my daughter pointed out that it was very 'me' and would fit into my decor perfectly.

I'm so glad I took it now.

henetha Thu 14-Mar-19 11:16:44

I was a great reader as a child, so for my tenth birthday I was given a little oak bookcase. And I still have it, in spite of many house moves. It lives in my bedroom now.
Also a little sewing table which belonged to a lady called Minnie who lived next door when I was a child. She left it to my mother when she died and hence it eventually came to me. I still think of it as Minnie's table every time I use it.

Jane10 Thu 14-Mar-19 11:22:54

My favourite is an office chair. Sounds odd but it's a solid 1920s one with a curved back and a long seat. Not sure what sort of wood it is. So comfortable. I sat on my Grandad's knee on it as he taught me to write my name. I feel very happy sitting in it as I write at my desktop computer all those years later.

Brigidsdaughter Thu 14-Mar-19 11:47:38

I have two in our kitchen - a rocking chair and two seater sofa, both purchased shortly after moving to this house. DS1 was 2 and DS2 2mths. This was 23.5 years ago. The rocking chair was from a local shop run by an upholstered, spotted in shop and in my kitchen hours later a treat with my boys in my arms. The sofa came from Divani mail order. Something I'd not risk now. Both going string. Each recovered once.
Our kitchen is nearly a year old and they have lingered while I worked in my head on getting a new sofa but will get new covers shortly.
Many hours were spent on it with both so s but more than anything DS1 sat rocking on it, relaxed and slept on it. He had a rare chromo disorder, PMLD epilepsy and died at 18 (SUDEP 7 years ago). We lived in this kitchen our little family around DS1 to s point, but all in it together.
DS2 still lounges on it.
DH hogs the rocking chair.
So, some more years in them yet!

Brigidsdaughter Thu 14-Mar-19 11:49:44

Lovely stories on here

Jalima1108 Thu 14-Mar-19 11:54:26

we also had a GPlan teak extending dining table and chairs, that we bought in 1969 and ten years ago decided must go (for new oak furniture) it did hold many memories I suppose ( hadn’t thought of that before).
In the end, it had to be sawn up and disposed of as even charities wouldn’t take it, saying that nobody wants teak furniture nowadays,what a waste.

Oh, that has made me feel really anxious for some reason! The thought of no-one wanting a lovely Gplan teak dining set and it being sawn up shock

We have a local furniture recycling warehouse where we have taken stuff. It is partly funded by the CC and partly by charity/self-funding and they seem to take most items, including upholstery only if it has a fire certificate. They repair, renovate and sell the furniture.

inishowen Thu 14-Mar-19 11:58:18

Mine is a 1950's sideboard with built in cocktail cabinet. The drawers are lined with green baize. It's all solid wood, no veneer. I spotted it at a charity shop years ago and commented that it was so scratched no one would buy it. The more i looked, the more I wanted it. I got it for £70. Then I went to the library and got books out on restoring furniture. Each scratch was treated and it's a beauty now. It reminds me of my 50's childhood.

GabriellaG54 Thu 14-Mar-19 12:20:19

That's a beautiful way of looking at it Urmstongran, both the table and the memories.
I can't say I have anything furniture-wise which evokes memories.
When I divorced, I asked the children to take what they wanted and I sold the rest. A 6 bed house full would not fit into a 2 bed flat. I bought all new everything.
I do have a small barrel with a brass plate on which is engraved 'Scuttled at Scapa Flow. and the date.
That, together with a lucky back cat, a white silk scarf and his log flying books, are memories of my dad.

J52 Thu 14-Mar-19 12:22:15

Mine is an inherited Ercol dining suite consisting of, a large table, 8 chairs, sideboard, dresser shelves and trolley. They’ve been in the family since the beginning of the 60’s.
Like the OP said, they hold such wonderful memories of family dinners, Christmases and other celebrations.
I love the fact that we are using them for family gatherings withthe next generations and making memories.

J52 Thu 14-Mar-19 12:24:14

Also to add, the 1960s Arthur Price canteen of cutlery, with goes with the table.

annifrance Thu 14-Mar-19 12:40:50

Tables, plural. I bought an Ercol pine dining table, chairs and dresser in 1972 when we bought our first house. It has followed me around and it is now in our gite. In the main house is my gorgeous octagonal marble table bought in France in 1986 and a huge carved table that seats 12 and was rescued from a field in India along with a huge carved low table. We bought the last two when we knew we were moving to converted barns and needed to fill space! We will not be able to take them with us when we eventually downsize.

I also have my Grandparents round teak coffee table. I love my tables they all have tales to tell. The marble and Indian tables were bought with legacies from a much loved uncle and aunt and so extra memories. I forgot the small octagonal side table of inlaid marble, bought beside the Taj Mahal.

Cabbie21 Thu 14-Mar-19 12:51:00

We have three pieces of furniture which my husband’s grandfather made, so he won’t part with them, even though they are quite unsuitable today, a large bedside cupboard, a tiny wardrobe and a bulky chest of drawers.
Everything else we have bought either new or from antique fairs, so although our dining table is very old, 17C, it has no family memories. The family items are small, eg a clock, a barometer, paintings.....but all have memories.

missymazda Thu 14-Mar-19 13:06:32

I bought a table when my girls were small and everyone I love had sat around it, eating, chatting, laughing, crying and listening to music and each other. I have recovered the chairs but I can’t bear to part with it. My table is part of my family and today my Granddaughter has play doh all over it ?

Riggie Thu 14-Mar-19 13:11:10

I have my parents 1960s teak dining room furniture with one of lose long sideboards loved by upcyclers....well they're not having mine!!

Saggi Thu 14-Mar-19 13:11:25

Afraid not..... furniture is just that for me. Photographs are the only things I own that mean anything. I can quite easily get rid of furniture without a twinge.... but I never throw out a photo or album. Stuff is just stuff.

1inamillion Thu 14-Mar-19 13:34:34

Urmston that's exactly how I felt about my teak furniture - Nathan teak round extending table, four chairs and two wall units, a corner unit and a bookcase . I wanted to de clutter and have less to dust so I got rid of them last summer. A local charity took the units, sold the bookcase on Gumtree. As a previous poster has said no one wanted the table and chairs as they didn't have a fire certificate. They didn't have those in 1976!
I have two favourite pieces, a large wall clock and a large jardiniere which belonged to my grandmother and were in my parents hall when I was growing up. The clock and the pendulum keep stopping, also some of the glaze has come off the jardiniere but I love them and they bring back memories. I should have asked about them and where they were bought, sadly no one left to ask now.

BlueSapphire Thu 14-Mar-19 13:59:51

My favourite is our beautiful plain pine king-size bed, which we bought when we bought our first house in 1974. It's not fancy, just straight clean lines with no decoration. We have had a few new mattresses, but it saw us through over 45 years of marriage. One half is empty now, but I still keep to 'my' side, and think fond thoughts of him every night. I am not about to swap it for a smaller one. So many happy memories.

kittylester Thu 14-Mar-19 14:06:04

We bought an Ercol pine refectory table 6'6" long in 1973 and used it in every house since (even taking it to Australia).

When we had the kitchen refitted we didn't have enough room for it, so DD1 had it. It then went to DD3 for a while. It is now dismantled in the garage. I think the children would disown us if it wasn't around.

GrandmaMoira Thu 14-Mar-19 14:06:05

My favourite is a Victorian mahogany display cabinet made by my great grandfather. I also have a large sideboard and a bookcase and my brother has the bedroom furniture and dining table, all mahogany.

Greytin94 Thu 14-Mar-19 14:10:41

Mine is a Welsh dresser that was my grandmothers. It was dark mahogany but has now been painted with chalk paint by my daughter . Every time I dust it I’m transported back to my childhood where one of my chores was to dust all the plates my grandmother displayed on it. Some of her plates are still in it. I love it.

Jalima1108 Thu 14-Mar-19 14:15:18

I do have a small barrel with a brass plate on which is engraved 'Scuttled at Scapa Flow. and the date.
That's interesting Gabriella. Is that from one of the German ships which were scuttled there?

fiorentina51 Thu 14-Mar-19 14:17:40

I've just sold my large teak wall unit...complete with my baby son's teeth marks (son now aged 41,) to a nice young man who wants to furnish his new home in authentic, period furniture. His house being a 1970s semi. He was absolutely delighted.
MIL's G Plan teak sideboard, circa 1969 which has been in the garage for the past 6 years, has been acquired by my daughter as it is, apparently very collectible.
Looked it up online.....it certainly is!!
www.pamono.co.uk/vintage-teak-sideboard-by-e-gomme-for-g-plan-1960s