Gransnet forums

Chat

Leavers referendum

(125 Posts)
mokryna Sun 17-Mar-19 17:13:53

Why don't leavers want a confirming referendum?
Their votes would only make a stronger point to the government that the majority do want to leave.
Moreover at the same time on other slips of paper people could vote for a hard or soft or ?
Sorry if this question has already been asked

sodapop Sun 17-Mar-19 19:42:31

And then we can have another and another ad infinitum

NanaandGrampy Sun 17-Mar-19 19:43:18

Best of 3 ?

Jalima1108 Sun 17-Mar-19 19:59:35

I suggested the best of three N&G!

'Always get three quotes' is an adage instilled in me!

Deedaa Sun 17-Mar-19 20:23:46

Surely the point is that you accept that people wanted to leave and you present them with the current choices - May's deal or no deal. Which of those would they prefer or would they rather drop the whole idea. That's what I call making an informed choice, which is what you need in a situation as important as this.

merlotgran Sun 17-Mar-19 20:41:04

Penalty shootout?

Alima Sun 17-Mar-19 20:44:38

No, not penalty shoot out! They are best of five, we would all be not here by then.

lemongrove Sun 17-Mar-19 20:51:32

I think it’s time that Parliament actually got on with implementing the first referendum results, never mind a second one!
Yes, I think the Leave vote would be even stronger second time around but what would that accomplish?
There would still need to be a deal.

crystaltipps Sun 17-Mar-19 20:54:02

This would be the best of 3, the first one was in 1976.

Anja Sun 17-Mar-19 21:31:03

That was to join the Common Market, not the EU crystaltis

RosieLeah Mon 18-Mar-19 06:52:42

What is the point of any referendum if it is not implemented? There are other issues on which the public could express their opinions, but our government thinks it knows better than the people.

PamelaJ1 Mon 18-Mar-19 06:58:23

But the leavers have already had their preference noted.
They don’t need another referendum.
As RosieLeah says they just want the government to implement it.
When I was little and had to choose which hand the preferred sweet (or whatever) was in it was only the loser who wanted best of 5 or 7 or 9.

Ginny42 Mon 18-Mar-19 07:08:36

I agree with Deedaa that we should now have a say on the deal negotiated by TM, no deal or drop the whole thing. The Gov. are in disarray and are dragging us all down with them.

The PM is stalling for time because she has to convincebribe the DUP to support her deal. She was defeated twice and she's having another go. Why is she allowed to keep bringing the rejected deal back, but we have to abide by a decision made in 2016 based on the flimsiest set of details and a pack of lies?

yggdrasil Mon 18-Mar-19 07:32:10

What Ginny says is true. It is almost 3 years since the 'referendum' and all the polls say people are realising what a catastrophe Leaving will be, especially with May's deal.
That is why the leavers are against a democratic referendum (aka People's vote)

Anja Mon 18-Mar-19 07:36:53

Monty Python Black Knight Let’s call it a draw

LullyDully Mon 18-Mar-19 08:12:26

Personally I can not bare the thought of a.second referendum. The previous one proved to be so decisive and I believe the next proposed one will not change emotions. We don't agree at all in this house and I can't face it . What an unholy mess!

Ginny42 Mon 18-Mar-19 08:42:59

LullyDully I can appreciate why you feel the way you do when your family is divided.

That's the very message which should be delivered loud and clear to TM and her party. The Tories are split. The nation is split and families are divided. Some people daren't express their true feelings for fear of upsetting family members/colleagues and it's gone on for far too long.

What was it she said again? Strong and stable?

MaizieD Mon 18-Mar-19 09:07:57

The previous one proved to be so decisive

It didn't. Had it been a scientific experiment it would have been taken as not showing any significant evidence for or against. The 4%is not statistically significant.

Since the referendum so much evidence of corruption and illegality has emerged that, had the ref been mandatory, rather than advisory, the result could have been declared void. Like cheats in sport being deprived of their medals.
I'm sorry for those Leavers who voted in good faith but it seems so ironic that with 'corruption' often cited as a reason to vote Leave they should be perfectly happy to accept the result of a corrupted process.

It makes me beyond angry that I have to 'respect' a result which was so tainted. Give us a chance of a clean vote. If Leave 'wins' again it'll be by fair means this time.

Luckygirl Mon 18-Mar-19 09:08:53

I have to say that bribing the DUP is immoral beyond words. UK is part of a group that vet the elections in troubled nations and we are now no better than those we seek to judge. Sickening, whatever your Brexit views.

JoyBloggs Mon 18-Mar-19 09:22:45

Luckygirl Quite agree.

Ginny42 Mon 18-Mar-19 09:40:44

The Tories are not the first to do that, but cash for votes is simply wrong. How can we go and monitor election processes in other countries after this debacle? It would be highly hypocritical to take part in any such vetting in future and we should resign from that international group - unless we're chucked out!

quizqueen Mon 18-Mar-19 10:02:08

The former referendum, actually held in 1975 by Wilson's government, asked if the UK wanted to leave the Common Market, not join it. We joined in 1973 when Heath took us in without a vote. I wish people would get their facts correct (Anja/crystaltipps). Also, the UK agreed to join a common trading area, not a political union, as it is now, although that was always the intention for it to become from its inception!

There was the usual scaremongering in 1975 and people believed it. Prices rose considerably when we joined but, funnily enough, no one said that we 'crashed in-over the cliff edge' etc. I could name over a 100 companies which have gone bust or moved from the UK in the last 46 years and being inside the EU didn't save them.

Granny23 Mon 18-Mar-19 10:09:55

We could have our own Gransnet referendum, with no comments allowed, Just a chance to say Remain, Accept deal or Out No Deal. Shall I start a thread?

MaizieD Mon 18-Mar-19 10:16:47

I wouldn't bother, Granny23. Gnet ran a poll just before the referendum and the results came out strongly in favour of Leave. I don't think the result would be any different today as our demographic won't have changed.

On the other hand, the UK's demographic has changed sufficiently to make it very debatable that Leave would 'win' again... What is it? 2 million young people now on the electoral register who are, according to polling, more likely to vote Remain than Leave. I think that's why Leavers are so scared of having another vote....

SillyNanny321 Mon 18-Mar-19 10:42:41

Can we have a new rule on Gransnet please? No more talk of Brexit & all things related too it please? So fed up with it now!