Gransnet forums

Chat

A frivolous train of thought...

(131 Posts)
Rosina Thu 18-Apr-19 08:52:33

This morning while applying mascara, I remembered the 'spit and scrub' type of the sixties. the small black and deep pink plastic case, the tiny black brush, and then 'Outdoor Girl' popped into my mind. Curious to see if anyone else remembered it I googled 'Outdoor Girl' - and it seems it is still going strong. Why do our brains retain these small facts? I know the words to the advertising jingle for 'Richard Shops'. Obviously I now need to steer my brain on to slightly more significant matters like paying some bills and walking the dog, but I did enjoy that little foray into my teenage years!

Singlegrannie Thu 18-Apr-19 10:41:48

Anyone remember Miners make up ? Lipstick in Way Out Pink was my favourite.

Camelotclub Thu 18-Apr-19 10:43:04

I remember that pale pink lipstick did your teeth no favours! And how hygienic was that mascara you had to spit on?

I worked in Woollies in the 70s on a Saturday, some of it on the make up counter. I remember French's Apple Blossom cologne and Miners make-up.

Fernbergien Thu 18-Apr-19 10:44:03

Does anyone remember Roman Pink lipstick. Late 50s.

Rutheleanor Thu 18-Apr-19 10:49:08

This is luxury you can afford with Cyril Lord!

GrannyBettie Thu 18-Apr-19 10:50:19

“pardon me Sir, is that the Toffee Crisp you chew chew.....
Also one that sticks in my mind and it may have only been on NE tv was for McEwans “ whilst taking it easy along the Zambezi, a frightening noise hit my ear (cue Tarzan sound) Am I too late? No I’ll have another crate of McEwans the Best Buy in beer”!

Lilylaundry Thu 18-Apr-19 10:51:17

Don't forget the fruit gums mum!

coast35 Thu 18-Apr-19 10:59:06

I remember Californian Poppy and The Esso sign means happy motoring, call at the Esso sign!! Lol

Riggie Thu 18-Apr-19 11:05:16

I remember aqua manda perfume. My best friend used it and I wanted to as well but didn't have the money for it. I remember getting a large bottle of the bath oil as a present so I used to dab that on as perfume instead!!

nannypiano Thu 18-Apr-19 11:12:16

Ride with a Phillips,glide with a Phillips, Phillips rings a bell.
bicycle gingle.

nannypiano Thu 18-Apr-19 11:13:42

You are never alone with a Strand!

Skinnylizzie Thu 18-Apr-19 11:15:09

Aqua Manda ? also Gingham perfume.

Nannytopsy Thu 18-Apr-19 11:16:52

A double diamond works wonders, works wonders, works wonders!

nannypiano Thu 18-Apr-19 11:17:19

Someones mum just doesn't know what someone mum really ought to know ..... that Persil washes whiter. Silly really, when you can't even remember what you had for dinner yesterday.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 18-Apr-19 11:19:50

I remember the spit and polish mascara too, I had both brown and black, made by Leichner who made stage make-up.

The tiger in a tank add, some crafty filling-station owner had a supposedly tame tiger on the premises while putting a tiger in your tank was popular.

One evening a young policeman rang up, needing my father who was the police surgeon. The policeman could barely speak for giggling and broke down completely when he informed my mother that the filling- station tiger had bitten a customer in the bum.

Blondie49 Thu 18-Apr-19 11:27:25

My first perfume was yardley sea jade , loved it, also white lipstick and then max factor strawberry meringue. Pan stick and my spit and apply mascara ( lovely picture ) was in a turquoise green plastic case, maybe Rimmel ? Great times along with the music and dancing and minis ?

BradfordLass72 Thu 18-Apr-19 11:28:04

Sassenach It's a wonder we didn't all get eye infections with all of that spitting into the mascara!

I did! I don't think the manufacturers suggested spitting, just water but spit was so much easier. smile

I loved the PG Tips chimps - 'Cooeee, Mr Shifter!' but knew even then those chimps weren't really happy. sad

and
Aaaaah, Bisto!

Jane10 Thu 18-Apr-19 11:30:00

'1001 makes a clean clean carpet for less than half a crown'!
Och. Now thats stuck in my head. Round and round it goes!

sarahellenwhitney Thu 18-Apr-19 11:52:58

Friday night is Amami Night?.I then suffered torture by sleeping in curlers to look my best? ready for the weekend when guys from the surrounding villages used to come to our town.

SueDoku Thu 18-Apr-19 11:56:53

Jane10 Yup, I was rubbing at a spot on my carpet recently and humming the 1001 jingle...
And I bet that none of us hears the words, 'Coughs and sneezes spread diseases...' without singing 'Catch the germs in your handkerchief' - even if only in our head..!!! grin

Meriel Thu 18-Apr-19 12:00:55

You'll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent.

David1968 Thu 18-Apr-19 12:09:42

I can sing the ditty to the "Omo" washing powder advert from sixty years ago. (And also recite the accompanying "banter" about the "Omo brightness".) And in my home we didn't even have a telly....

LadyO Thu 18-Apr-19 12:10:40

Aqua Manda!!! Oh YES! That’s just taken me right back to my teenage years in Bristol, shopping for loons at SNOB, buying beads and joss sticks at Far East Crafts... ahhhhhhh memories smile

Squiffy Thu 18-Apr-19 12:17:49

I remember being a member of the Yardley (Put your best face forward!) Club and receiving a keyring with This Pink and That Pink lipsticks attached!

GrammaH Thu 18-Apr-19 12:32:55

Yes Blondie49, I remember the spit-on Rimmel mascara in the turquoise box! And I remember Miners & Outdoor Girl from Woolies & Number 17 lippy in the orange case in either a very pale, pale pink or ditto orange...I think they were called Silky Peach & Silky Pink. And I had a deep purple Biba lipstick with matching nail polish in Black Tulip. Of course we all remember "For mash get Smash"!!

sodapop Thu 18-Apr-19 12:45:04

Another person here who remembers spit on mascara and Outdoor Girl cosmetics.
The Esso ads also stick in my mind along with Shake n Vac. In fact most of the ads mentioned I can remember.
Does anyone remember a bicycle called Pink Witch, a girl's bike in shocking pink we all hankered after, can't believe I actually wanted one.