Gransnet forums

Chat

Positives about getting older

(126 Posts)
Jomarie Sat 25-May-19 21:51:44

Noting on another thread that the older one gets the less leg hair there is to worry about rang a bell with me and I sort of wondered what other positives are there to getting older - I know about the negatives (so many) but feel sure there are also many positives - less leg/arm/pubic hair being a starting point - over to you all - don't let me down !!! grin

NanaandGrampy Sun 26-May-19 14:28:31

Its fairly positive that I'm still alive :-)

but its positive that now I'm old enough to project gravitas when necessary, I'm old enough to know exactly what I want ( but still young enough to get it !!) .

I have the wisdom of my age , the outlook of youth and the joy of living the life I want.

yup ! Its all good here !!

Saggi Sun 26-May-19 15:00:49

Osteoarthritis... chronic sinusitis..... two prolapsed discs.... a ‘gone wrong’ eye operation.... a disabled husband (23 years and counting)....no car (can’t afford to run one).... a house that needs decorating.... a garden that neither of us can manage. Nope!! Can’t think of a thing to recommend old age yet.

Pat1949 Sun 26-May-19 15:11:41

Still being alive when so many die at a young age.

DameJudyClench Sun 26-May-19 15:26:29

I've got a few health issues, am single and permanently broke, but am also in my 2nd year of an art degree, live alone so can please myself and I'm still alive. Several of the girls I was at school with have died - one in her 40s leaving behind a husband she'd been with since they were both 17 and 2 children.

GabriellaG54 Sun 26-May-19 15:35:40

Having the confidence to be independent, making your own choices and disregarding advice you don't want.
Eating and sleeping when you feel like it, not when the clock hands say so.
Spending more time with friends and leisure activities.
Spending more money on yourself than when your children were at home.
Cheaper bus and train travel.
Concessions on hairdressing, some restaurants, theatres and cinema.
So much to offer. It's great to be over 60...and retired.

CrazyGrandma2 Sun 26-May-19 15:52:15

All positives apart from not having so much energy and sometimes body lets me down. Enjoying life to the full.

wetflannel Sun 26-May-19 16:43:20

Positives: Being retired, pleasing myself what I do with my time. Lazy PJ days if I so wish, not giving a stuff what other people think. Being able to wear what I feel comfortable in,whether it's in fashion or not. No time schedules,free bus pass,free train travel (husband ex railway man) . No alarm clock telling me it's time to get up for work Ugh, which I do not miss in the least. Being mortgage free and now living in a quiet place in Devon, and having no more money worries. Not that we are wealthy,just been careful with our money.
Negatives: Blessed arthritis in hands and hip, mild COPD.

Nonnie Sun 26-May-19 16:54:51

Please may I just remind you that not everyone gets the Freedom Pass. It is only for Londoners although some other large conurbations have something similar but more time restricted. Those who live further out often don't even have a good bus service and have to either pay for a rail card or pay the same rate as everyone else.

Nanny41 Sun 26-May-19 16:55:30

Being able to do what I want to do when I want to.Not worrying about what people say.Getting up when I want to, to a certain degree,thats when Husband is not at home.
Lots of positives about "getting on " a bit

jocork Sun 26-May-19 17:06:19

I was looking forward to my bus pass but the bus service near us has been reduced so much I probably won't be able to make much use of it - if they still give us one by the time I retire! 16 months to go to retirement and I can't wait. Most of the good things people are mentioning on here come with that.
Biggest downside is the thinning hair!

Oldandverygrey Sun 26-May-19 17:19:32

I don't think there is much joy in being retired.

sodapop Sun 26-May-19 17:36:36

That's sad oldandverygrey are there not things you want to do and see. Generally just take time to smell the roses.

I agree jocork that's a downside for me too.

AdeleJay Sun 26-May-19 18:01:17

Being comfortable in my own skin at long last. smile Not worrying about what others think of me. Doing things I love & saying no more often to things I don’t fancy doing. Being alive when loads of contemporaries are not.
sad

The downsides include having less income therefore having to budget carefully and also having a few minor health issues. It’s also maddening not to be able to find things I’d actually enjoy wearing. angry

Allegretto Sun 26-May-19 18:18:39

I love being retired and I’m fortunate to have my health, my lovely DH and enough money to enjoy life now that our children are grown up and independent. I honestly feel that this stage of life the best one yet and I’m thankful for it each and every day. The extra bonuses are the freedom of doing what I want when (and if) I want, the bus pass, embracing the grey (no sitting for hours with chemicals on my hair), seeing a friend for coffee, not setting the alarm, taking off on a wee city break..... Life is good. I’m very aware that all can change in a moment, and that it is not so good for everybody, and my heart goes out to those who are struggling with health issues or with bereavement.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 26-May-19 19:03:07

Just doing and wearing what you want. Also as others have said, being able to say no and and not worry about it. Not worry about getting pregnant. life is good.

jennilin Sun 26-May-19 19:10:36

No more striving .. relax and do what you like when you like .. don't need to get upset re lack of attention there isn't any ... appreciate smaller things like driving to the supermarket ... or going by bus .. appreciate people who still respect their elders and help when needed in the realisation they will be old soon.. One thing that upsets me is husband has MS we have both worked all our lives and yet our savings will go to pay for care grrr

Glenfinnan Sun 26-May-19 19:21:47

Think it depends upon your outlook! I’ve always looked for the positives in all stages of life....even in the dark times. I find keeping busy and interested in the world a great boon. I’m no skinny Minnie but enjoy looking smart without the pressure to be perfect!

dizzygran Sun 26-May-19 19:44:17

Apart from when I look in the mirror - or a shop window - and see my mother looking back at me I don't mind being older. now retired with time to meet up with friends and go to clubs. I live close to family so have lots of contact with DC and GC. Still drive - I would miss this if I had to give it up. A few more aches and pains, but guess this comes with age.

I regularly count my blessings and am grateful for my life and family. Some

TwiceAsNice Sun 26-May-19 20:05:20

Still work part time ( from choice) but have my pensions too.Live near children after being 150miles apart for years complete with 2 beautiful grandchildren who love me. Have free bus pass but still ok to drive when I want to. Some health issues but can still do all I want to. Don’t worry about what other people think have much more confidence and will stand up for myself. Best of all divorced and living on my own doing whatever I like is he best bonus of all.

M0nica Sun 26-May-19 20:05:24

I am still the person I always was, age has made no difference to who I am. I am in good health, not as fast and with less stamina but otherwise unchanged.

lmm6 Sun 26-May-19 20:30:13

Just can't believe how quickly I got here. Seems like yesterday I was middle aged. Now I'm old. What happened?

Esther1 Sun 26-May-19 21:59:10

Grandchildren! Mine are just so like my children were when they were little. Their looks and their mannerisms are so similar I just take such delight. A big advantage in being old! Old enough to have grandchildren and enjoy little ones all over again.

cassandra264 Sun 26-May-19 23:05:37

A friend and I agreed a couple of days ago that one of the great things about being older is that you can enjoy the company of attractive young men without worrying about whether they are worrying that you might be 'coming on' to them.....!

Charlie888 Sun 26-May-19 23:22:59

Skills, knowledge, experience and the fact you are your own person. Do what works for you. I decline loads of invitations I don’t fancy going to. Don’t explain !

Notyetagran46 Mon 27-May-19 08:31:26

It’s good to see most of us are able to be positive. I’ve had twelve retired years with my husband travelling and enjoying life with no money worries. Sadly he died a year ago and I miss him dreadfully but I’m still able to enjoy life even if I am lonely at times. A few aches and pains like most of us but life is for living.