Gransnet forums

Chat

Positives about getting older

(126 Posts)
Jomarie Sat 25-May-19 21:51:44

Noting on another thread that the older one gets the less leg hair there is to worry about rang a bell with me and I sort of wondered what other positives are there to getting older - I know about the negatives (so many) but feel sure there are also many positives - less leg/arm/pubic hair being a starting point - over to you all - don't let me down !!! grin

Rosina Sun 26-May-19 11:17:04

Complete freedom - not answerable to anyone (as in the workplace - obviously I don't mean normal considerations within the family!)
Feeling at home in my skin for the first time in my life; have had too many concerns about what other people think etc. Don't care any more!
Grandchildren of course - could not have imagined the joy they bring and the chances to be silly again.
Staying in bed with a cup of tea on those cold rainy mornings and reading a magazine or book. Absolute bliss.
This list could go on for ever, but I am happier and more peaceful in old age than I have ever been .

Kandinsky Sun 26-May-19 11:21:05

There’s a few advantages I suppose, but I’d give anything to be 21 again.

Sara65 Sun 26-May-19 11:26:33

Rosina
You sound like you’re living the dream! I’m still working, and can’t actually imagine a time when I won’t be rushing somewhere! I agree with what you say about being comfortable in your own skin, that is definitely a massive bonus!

On the other hand, can’t help thinking, Kandinsky has a point!!!

FarNorth Sun 26-May-19 11:33:27

Never mind, JulieMM, the spring cleaning would have been a bit disruptive on your special day.
It sounds wonderful! smile

FarNorth Sun 26-May-19 11:40:44

Definitely, Coconut. grin

Pittcity Sun 26-May-19 11:49:28

I am the same age as gillybob, but lucky enough to have taken early retirement. I agree with feeling comfortable in my own skin but wouldn't want to be 21 again....too much like hard work.
Staying as I am would be nice....,

Witzend Sun 26-May-19 11:57:59

No longer giving much of a toss (if at all) about what people are going to think.

No longer feeling obliged to go to functions or take part in activities I know I won't enjoy, whereas before I'd go/do them anyway for fear of being thought boring/miserable/a wimp.
Hooray!

Nannyxthree Sun 26-May-19 11:59:58

Currently still have good health and am happy with OH . We are active and see our children and g'children often enough and are financially secure. Lots of positives. Downside is seeing or hearing of friends our age who have serious illness so there is always the thought lurking that our turn will come!

Witzend Sun 26-May-19 12:04:10

Oh, and the (post-retirement) bliss of days of no charging hither and thither (unless I want to) and nothing particular to do (unless I want to).

Though admittedly such days are a mite fewer since the advent of 2 little Gdcs only 15 months apart and a dd working 4 days a week.
Plenty of 'recovery' days in between, though!

Sara65 Sun 26-May-19 12:05:53

I’m definitely with you there Witzend, my husband still feels obliged to go to certain things, but he’s under strict instructions not to make excuses for me, just say, she didn’t want to come!

Witzend Sun 26-May-19 12:17:05

Yes, very liberating, isn't it, Sara65?
When those cirritating people say, 'Go on, you'll enjoy it!' it's so easy to say with a smile, 'Actually, I won't, thanks,' - I can't think why I didn't get the hang of it before.

paddyann Sun 26-May-19 12:18:01

Its ALL positive ladies,look at the alternative in abox in the ground or scattered somewhere .ENJOY EVERY DAY .They may not all be brilliant but at least you can still be a part of it

Sara65 Sun 26-May-19 12:27:51

Witzend
I KNOW! I am never spending another evening, with people I don’t much like, doing something I don’t much like doing again!

Marycat2 Sun 26-May-19 12:36:27

Being able to go to theatre matinees using free travel pass sitting on the buss or train in the seats for older people and not feeling guilty ablut any of it

sodapop Sun 26-May-19 12:41:20

Lucky to have reasonable health and mobility so that makes things easier. I'm so glad I don't have the stresses of a job now or have to worry about new relationships etc.
I can enjoy the social life I want or not if I feel reclusive. Children and grandchildren all grown and doing well. My life to enjoy now.

DameJudyClench Sun 26-May-19 12:46:06

Saying no to people when I don't want to do something and not feeling guilty about it!

Kim19 Sun 26-May-19 12:52:51

My greatest 'challenge' is working out what day it is when I wake. Pressure indeed and then....... I lie back and think of those enjoying the rush hour traffic. Life is so good for me at present. Hallelujah!

Jishere Sun 26-May-19 12:57:53

I agree with the freedom pass. Only hope it's still there when I get to retirement age. Another positive cheap tickets at the cinema they do senior over 55 days with tea and coffee.

Nonnie Sun 26-May-19 12:58:13

Many of the above as well as no aspirations. Not looking for the next promotion, pay rise or different house. Doing things on impulse and going on longer holidays than when we were working. We can take off for as long as we like to wherever we like.

Nograndsyet Sun 26-May-19 12:58:21

After having cancer 3 times, my positive is just wakening up every morning grin. Whatever the day throws at me is a bonus and retirement comes highly recommended. I love it !!

Witzend Sun 26-May-19 13:11:41

Ooh, yes, Franbern the wonderful Freedom Pass!
Just another reason why I'd never move to the country.

Mauriherb Sun 26-May-19 13:12:11

Discounted cinema and theatre tickets are a real bonus for me. Also joining U3A and having the time to take up some hobbies

Rufus2 Sun 26-May-19 13:19:59

Rufus, where have you been ??
Megs; Hiding from middle-aged stalkers! grin grin
Where have you been? Not still on the naughty stool I hope? sad Missed you! Thought you'd eloped 'cos you haven't posted for a while, but now all's right with the world again! See ya! OoRoo

Nandee Sun 26-May-19 13:38:43

Having lost my husband to pancreatic cancer I am now enjoying a new lease of life with a new partner (not instead of but as well as - if that makes sense ). He is also a widower and life is good again not the same as before but different and exciting. I feel very lucky and am trying to enjoy the now and not think to far ahead.

Nannyme Sun 26-May-19 13:39:09

Definitely being able to say no to the comment ‘we would love to have you on the committee’ my answer is no, no, no. Been there got the t-shirt thank you. Enjoying our bus passes and rail cards and just love home grocery deliveries, so easy and my shopping is carried right into my kitchen. What’s not to like.