Gransnet forums

Chat

Home sweet home!

(59 Posts)
kittylester Thu 30-May-19 19:10:51

We have just been away for 4 nights in a lovely hotel. We have eaten great foid food, had champagne cocktails, had the beds made, the room cleaned, been on lovely walks, seen beautiful scenery and the staff have been brilliant.

We got home about 4pm, and its wonderful!

Anyone else feel the same?

12Michael Fri 31-May-19 10:39:38

I enjoy my days out and my holiday breaks with coach trips , plus the normal get out of the flat for a few hours.
But I enjoy that return home , putting the key in the flat door sitting in the chair with feet up and watching TV.
Relaxed no disruption and peaceful.
Mick

Camelotclub Fri 31-May-19 10:40:05

I'm terrible, I don't even want to stay away one night. Worry about the cat (who loves my DH far more than me) and want to be in my own bed. We live in a very nice part of the country anyway (a place that others come to for hols) so don't want to escape. But I know my horizons are narrowing all the time! Feel a bit guilty about DH who might want to be more adventurous.

Blinko Fri 31-May-19 10:40:25

That's one of the reasons we go away, it makes us appreciate our own home. Wherever we go we're always delighted to 'get back to normal' among friends and family.

Witzend Fri 31-May-19 10:47:18

Must say I'm much the same - a far cry from when I was young and almost permanently longing to get on a plane and go somewhere, anywhere!

However after many years of living abroad, plus dh and I have travelled extensively anyway, I don't long for it at all any more. When it's time to pack and go anywhere (unless it's maybe a short break in the UK - no bloody airports!) - I often find myself thinking I can't be bothered, I'd really rather stay at home.

I do usually enjoy it when I get there, but am always glad to get home - particularly to my own bed!

I'm much happier in self catering anywhere now - I often don't sleep well and really hate being cooped up in a hotel room with nowhere to escape to, to put the light on, read or listen to the radio, etc.

Dh still has itchy feet, always has had, but is happy to go on his own now and then, particularly to things I'm not really into, e.g. WW1 battlefields, and residential French courses in France. (My French was always a lot better than his anyway!)

moorlikeit Fri 31-May-19 11:12:32

I do envy those who delight in their homes; I used to be one of them. However, we left our much-loved family home to downsize in a new location and it just does not feel the same. I never get the same buzz as I arrive home from holiday.
This time round, I found the hotel beds so much more comfortable than our own that I shall invest in a new mattress!
Just wish I felt happily settled.

sweetcakes Fri 31-May-19 11:15:47

Only once have I never wanted to come home I went to Jamaica for two weeks and on the last night I could have cried. Not before or since has this happened to me mind you I don't go away that often perhaps that's why!!

Guineagirl Fri 31-May-19 12:03:11

I don’t particularly like going home for all the chores but I do love my bed, The mattress sits in the base and is a bit big for it so I have like a ledge really and with a bad shoulder and arthritis I rest it on it it’s called by my husband ‘my bit of wood’ and when we are away he says ‘no bit of wood’ so yes I do miss it,

EllanVannin Fri 31-May-19 12:03:11

I've done what I pretty well set out to do and more and my last scramble through airport queues was nearly 10 years ago ( Cyprus ) when I was nearly 70 and decided at that point that I'd had enough after years of flying here there and everywhere. I.O.M in between times but that's not exactly " abroad " and it's without the usual airport scramble.
I'm now more than happy to stay put and sift through the many photographs and albums of life's travels in the comfort of my home and the cats.

As the song goes " It's nice to go travelling but it's so much nicer to come home "---------or words to that effect.

inishowen Fri 31-May-19 12:04:16

I enjoy my holidays but the day before we're due home I start longing for my own house. I miss getting up really early and coming downstairs for a cup of tea and toast. I miss my local shops too. Home is where the heart is.

Saggi Fri 31-May-19 12:22:30

Haven’t been out of my home town for twelve years...my husband is incapacitated these 23 years ..and won’t leave the house except for hospital...won’t have carers only me. No holidays , no fun , no nowt....and I’m doing such a good job according to his doctors that I could have at least another decade to ‘enjoy’...so I live vicariously on other people’s stories of days out and holidays. Keep them coming please.

Auntieflo Fri 31-May-19 12:29:50

Saggi flowers

Juliet27 Fri 31-May-19 12:37:09

We'll be away for a month from mid July to visit both our children and grandchildren who live in Australia. I'm already having trouble deciding what clothing to take and I know I shall miss and worry about the dog for all that time (and the canary!!) As much as I'm obviously looking forward to seeing the family, I know it will be a relief to get back home. If only they hadn't emigrated!!

Juliet27 Fri 31-May-19 12:43:27

Can't say I'm looking forward to the airport queues either!

Saggi flowers

EllanVannin Fri 31-May-19 13:35:52

Juliet27 that's how I felt when my family emigrated. After having flown 5 times over the years, at a month to 3 months at a time my last visit as I'd got older wasn't the same and I cut short my 3 months and felt I'd had enough as I faced the gruelling trip back ( business class for comfort ) I'd become homesick ! How daft was that ?
Anyway it's D and SiL's time to visit here in less than 2 weeks time and as they are creeping up to their 60's they'll appreciate how I'd felt I'm sure.

CanOnlyTry Fri 31-May-19 14:54:50

moorlikeit I just want to say I'm very sorry to hear this - you've explained exactly what I'm going through! We too left our lovely home of 36yrs to downsize and relocate and I just can't feel the same about our new place, I feel very 'homesick' and deeply regret moving

moorlikeit Fri 31-May-19 15:55:43

CanOnlyTry
Thanks for your sympathetic response. I'm sorry to hear that you are in the same boat.
I just wasn't ready to move and it was quite a trauma. The plus side is that it's warmer down south and we see our AC (and now our first DGD) far more frequently even though we still don't live that close to them. BUT it still doesn't feel like home and that applies to the house and location. My DH, however, has settled in just fine so I'm the fussy one!

Nonnie Fri 31-May-19 16:28:51

Glad I'm not alone, I love my holidays but not so keen on coming home to the weeds and the washing! I live in a great place with wonderful neighbours and also family quite close but am always thinking about where to go for our next holiday. I love both.

kittylester Fri 31-May-19 16:33:36

saggi, I realised as I posted that some people will wish they could escape for a few days. I'm sorry if I upset you or anyone else.

Doodle Fri 31-May-19 16:58:33

I love going on holiday and I love coming home too. The only bits I don’t like are the packing to go and the unpacking and washing to do when I get back. ?

Fennel Fri 31-May-19 17:39:01

After spending nearly a year "homeless", virtually sofa surfing when we came back from France, I never want to leave our new little home again.
Husband persuaded me to go away over Easter, and at New Year we visited all our UK families. But I'd much rather they came to us.
Trouble is, we haven't got much room now.

GranEd Fri 31-May-19 18:53:43

Saggi ?

overthehill Fri 31-May-19 19:14:51

I feel similar after having visitors. Again, lovely to see them but also
lovely when they leave and you can put your feet up have tea and possibly watch rubbish on the TV.

CanOnlyTry Fri 31-May-19 19:17:12

morelikeit
Ditto! My DH is perfectly content too!
But I'm glad to hear you're (even a little) nearer to your family, means such a lot. I guess it'll take time. We've just adopted a golden retriever in the hope (for me!) that it'll make the place feel like home ... drastic perhaps but we'll see. Like yourself (?) I've been traumatised by the move. But I really do wish you all the very best in the sincere hope that eventually we both adjust and accept our new 'normality' X

BusterTank Fri 31-May-19 19:35:21

There no place like home , there nothing like a break to remind you .

knspol Fri 31-May-19 20:53:50

Used to love all holidays and never wanted to go home but now, after many years living abroad mostly in very plush rented accommodation I just want to stay at home in my own house. I think it's maybe an age or perhaps just wanting my own bits and bobs around but I actually dread hols now and can't wait to get back home. DH on the other hand wants to be away all the time!