Gransnet forums

Chat

Home sweet home!

(59 Posts)
kittylester Thu 30-May-19 19:10:51

We have just been away for 4 nights in a lovely hotel. We have eaten great foid food, had champagne cocktails, had the beds made, the room cleaned, been on lovely walks, seen beautiful scenery and the staff have been brilliant.

We got home about 4pm, and its wonderful!

Anyone else feel the same?

Sara65 Fri 31-May-19 21:50:56

A couple of years ago, we decided to go away for Christmas, we booked a lovely cottage in Yorkshire, and armed with everything you could possibly want, or need for a happy Christmas we set out the day before Christmas Eve, we spent Christmas Eve in a quaint seaside town, wandering about and shopping, when we got back to the cottage, I said I wanted to go home, it didn’t feel right, so on Christmas morning we got up at about 5.00, and drove all the way home, it was lovely!

Apricity Sat 01-Jun-19 00:35:51

Like so many others I love to go away but every time we return home I look around, open blinds and windows and let the fresh air and light in, go outside and say hello to the garden and think what lucky people live here.

Lilyflower Sat 01-Jun-19 06:30:45

The older I get the less I like to leave my home. I know may pensioners who spend their large pensions going on cruises and flying around the world and I do not envy them one bit. I wouldn’t do it even if I could afford it.

My house is lovely and just how I want it. The garden is a picture at the moment and my own bed is the most comfortable in the world.

POGS Sat 01-Jun-19 11:18:34

I too love coming up to our village and seeing our home after a holiday.

A real home bird me the older I get plus travelling with health issues has started to make me a tad anxious.

Usually after about 10 days away I start to get to the ' been there, done that' syndrome and whilst we have had some cracking holidays I still find myself thinking about ' home'.

moorlikeit Sun 02-Jun-19 13:00:48

CanOnlyTry

Thank you for your kind wishes. I hope that your new family member helps you to settle in. Dog walking, I believe, helps folk to start up conversations which could lead to new local friendships. I certainly hope that it works for you.
Good luck.

Witzend Tue 04-Jun-19 08:40:04

Lilyflower, I know a few like that - don't envy them in the least, especially when the holidays include airports and long flights! (Though I did feel differently when rather younger, with itchy feet that were fortunate to see quite a lot of the world then).

This week we have some far flung relatives of dh from across the pond coming to stay. The elder must be pushing 90 if not there already, and she never seems to stop - her Christmas Round Robin letters are full of one holiday after the other - mostly long-haul, too.

Though from a former visit I do get the impression that she's one of those (very un-restful!) people who have to be constantly on the move, going away, going out, doing something away from the house, all the time.

Later this week I'm hoping that dh will do most of the taking hither and thither - and largely leave me in P and Q at home!

Margsus Tue 04-Jun-19 09:43:11

We’re coming to the end of our “bucket list” holiday and have spent the past two weeks cruising round the Far East. I’m writing this whilst sitting in our hotel room in Shanghai, and we were just saying that we can’t wait to get home to our little house and our family tomorrow. There really is no place like home!

Parsley3 Tue 04-Jun-19 09:48:17

I feel the same. In fact, when I walk through my door after a lovely break away my first words are “ Ah, home sweet house.” ?