Gransnet forums

Chat

A day of lows. How do you cope?

(37 Posts)
Ohmother Mon 03-Jun-19 15:30:49

Friend didn’t see text till too late for meet up info this morning. (She didn’t want my company?)
Best friends have bought a house mikes away and hope to move imminently. (We’ve upset them enough to move right away?)
Quote for work on house twice as much as we thought it would be. (He didn’t want the work ?..although we think he’s great!)
Imminent retirements of long term, nice, colleagues at work. (Smaller fish in large pond of toddlers?)

I need to sleep on all this don’t i? ?

Rufus2 Tue 04-Jun-19 11:31:56

pour a large wine and relax
Actually I worry intensely about whether to pour the red wine first or the white! confused
Anyway, it's un-Australian to worry about something you can't do anything about! grin

Kim19 Tue 04-Jun-19 11:44:33

Maybe a quick call rather than a text would be more productive for a short notice arrangement? My friends are often slow on texts but immediate on calls, I find.

Presumably you knew something of your friends' plan to move? That doesn't mean you have to like it. Of course not, but it does help to ease the pain methinks.

I always imagine a horrid estimate to come and then reality is sometimes a 'pleasant' shock.

Losing old colleagues is a pain but, in actual fact, a double whammy bonus because, presumably you will continue to meet up in a social context? The added extra is the opportunity to make new friends of the new recruits. All pluses my opinion.

Glammy57 Tue 04-Jun-19 11:49:42

Ohmother - I do hope things seem better after a night’s sleep. Mawbroonsback’s response is wise and kind. Take care of yourself! ?

Ohmother Tue 04-Jun-19 11:54:49

Again...thanks to all who gave me sympathy, a kick up the a... or made me laugh.

Today is a better day. ?

Jishere Tue 04-Jun-19 12:01:15

Maybe try to think positively instead of dwelling on the negative. You are causing yourself to feel low so if you turn things on there head and see things in a different light you will feel stronger. What rules your mind or your feelings?

There is so many people who are worse off then all of us.

Newatthis Tue 04-Jun-19 12:13:35

Stress and worry can have serious ill effects on your health and well-being. My new motto is “if you can’t do anything about it then don’t worry - if you can, do!) Easier said than done but it works and I know, I have had a a terrible 2019 but since I have adopted this motto I feel much better. Problems are not gone, and they are all personal (not someone else’s) but I cannot do anything about them so I don’t worry about them. One day at a time.

Lilyflower Tue 04-Jun-19 12:39:52

Friend didn’t see text till too late for meet up info this morning. (She didn’t want my company?)

She was probably not avoiding you but was busy.

Best friends have bought a house mikes away and hope to move imminently. (We’ve upset them enough to move right away?)

No one buys a house because people have upset them unless they have neighbour-from-hell problems. You sound sensitive and pleasant.

Quote for work on house twice as much as we thought it would be. (He didn’t want the work ?..although we think he’s great!)

Never miind if one tradesman is great. He might be available for the next job. Plenty of fish in the sea. Get onto Checkatrade for local recommendations.

Imminent retirements of long term, nice, colleagues at work. (Smaller fish in large pond of toddlers?)

You can still keep up the acquaintanceships. Have meet ups and exchange emails.

I need to sleep on all this don’t i? ?

You have had a coincidental group of experiences which can be interpreted negatively and you have done this because one thing seems to have come hot upon the tail of another. It is really a series of chance occurrences and you are tired and sensitive.

OP, yes, sleep on it and reconsider in the morning.

Tris68 Tue 04-Jun-19 16:42:36

If you want to be a negative nelly then carry on! We all have our off days, some more than others (?‍♀️ guilty) Everything is ALWAYS my fault so I get where your coming from! ? Hope you feel a bit better today ?

trendygran Tue 04-Jun-19 16:46:57

Ohmother. Also having a low day today.Mainly because my lip has swollen ,which it does every now and then .Have no idea why ,but always takes around 24 hours to go down again. As a result there’s no way I could go out . Luckily a free day so don’t have to let anyone down,or miss any meetings or appointments. Feel caged in if don’t even get as far as the shops -and coffee bar.
Hoping my lip will be ok by tomorrow as supposed to be going out for the day with a former friend and neighbour. Looking forward to that! ?

Ohmother Tue 04-Jun-19 20:52:37

Yet again, thanks for the kind words. I’ve just booked a weekend away and will make sure I enjoy e.v.e.r.y minute! ???

Whitewavemark2 Tue 04-Jun-19 20:55:13

trendy sounds like an allergy?