Gransnet forums

Chat

Looking for some advice on situation with my DD

(103 Posts)
Campaspe Sat 08-Jun-19 16:29:43

This is my first GN post as I'm a MNetter, but I really wanted some advice about being a mum to my 12 yo DD. She is an only child, and all of her life, I have cossetted her and she has been the most important thing in mine and DH's life. We've had high hopes for her academically and have brought her up to be polite and kind (at least, we've tried). However, at 12 (nearly 13) the hormones are kicking in, puberty is well under way and everything about our erstwhile lovely and loving relationship seems to be under threat. DD is surly, moody and lazy. She isn't appreciative of all that is done for her, and is difficult to talk to as she knows best and is incredibly self-centred. All normal, I suppose, but I'm struggling to cope with the loss of my lovely little girl and I'm worried about coping with the next few years. I find myself panicking about how DD will get a job if she doesn't pass exams, and if she'll ever mature a bit and take some responsibility. This is where I'm looking for some advice from mums and grans who've been through it. How do I cope? How do I mourn the loss of my DD? How do I make a new role for myself as parent of a teenager when I'm fat, tired, menopausal and emotional? What is worth arguing about and what isn't? Why on earth don't kids come with an instruction booklet...?! And breathe...

Grateful for any advice and support on how to weather this midlife period and get DD and me through it. Thank you in advance.

Gonegirl Thu 13-Jun-19 12:20:45

Callistemon "however, my parents were quite 'laissez-faire' , perhaps they were worn out by that time!"

That's just how I was with my late-comer son! grin Not sure it worked too well. hmm

madmum38 Thu 13-Jun-19 14:11:39

Think I must have been really lucky as never had any of this with my four but maybe it’s because there was so much going on with their dad being ill they didn’t have time to act out.
Hope things improve for you