Gransnet forums

Chat

Confused! Family & Estrangement

(60 Posts)
Jcxx Sun 23-Jun-19 12:39:20

On Wednesday my Mam was visiting us, we had a meal then I noticed a message on my phone. It was from my auntie who I haven't seen in 21 years asking if I knew that my Dad had had major surgery. My Dad is estranged and has not bothered for years. I was absolutely gobsmacked not only because of the message I had just got but because my Mam knew all about it & had known for over a week and has not said a thing. She says she doesn't have or want anything to do with him and they were divorced years ago.
I had to get away from my Mam as I couldn't believe it, I couldn't speak or anything, she was then in denial trying to turn and put things on me.
I just don't understand any of it!!
I then after some time messaged my auntie back. Saying that I didn't know and hope he is ok etc etc. The messages from her went on and on. Basically her trying to get me to go and see him and explaining all the in depth surgery and even offering to pay my trainfare. It came across as though she wanted me there to be there to stay with him cos she didn't want to. Trying to put me on a guilt trip. I said to her that I haven't heard or seen anything from him for years. He hasn't let me know anything about this surgery at all either. She said I need to put things right because he wants to and I explained that there isn't anything to put right. That he never has been interested in me or my kids for a long time and became estranged. I felt I had to keep repeating what I said over and over as she asking the same thing even though I had answered her. Then the things she was saying that apparently he had told her to text where lies and I've heard it all before. She kept messaging and phoning and I tried to ignore it but in the end I started getting pissed off and I just said sorry but it's all aload of bollocks. Then she changed her tune and started to say your dad could have died and you clearly don't want to put things right he does. He has admitted he should have done more and is now trying to make it right. I said I always did 99% then I stopped. Then she said if I don't want to make the effort that's up to me but he does. I said he is no part of our life and that was his choice years ago. My auntie then tried to make out I was stupid and naive then she said at least I can't say he hasn't bothered..the cheek!! I ended up telling her to give it a rest and that she has no clue she wrote I find you very disrespectful and I said I just keep it real.
I have been the last person to know about this last surgery. My Mam has kept things from me but still visited me and me her. Then all this from me dad and aunties side. My head is mashed!!
My dad being estranged is one thing then him having surgery is another my auntie has put the two things together.
I don't understand any of them my Mam?? And My dad, auntie?? Does anyone else.. All honesty appreciated thanks

Jcxx Mon 24-Jun-19 20:23:59

It has been five days now & the fog has started to clear. I've managed to separate each issue and think more clearly. Thanks to everyone who has replied as it does help. I decided to contact my Dad through text message & this was our conversation; It's hggyug (my name), why has my aunt been texting me?
He wrote; Hi I don't know, where you told of my major operation
I said; you don't know, yes I heard about it but through someone else. I wish you well
He said: Thanks for that, I would have loved to have you here. Forget the past. Dad
I said : well of course I wish you well always have obviously, tried too many times though and it goes nowhere
He said: I have had 7 years of health issues that's why it's gone nowhere. I have had to put myself first to survive I'm sorry this is my second chance of life.

(I have heard that sentence for years and years from him)

I said: You seem to have a very different view on anything. That is not my opinion. You are and have been how you are for years and years and years. You need to keep on thinking about yourself and getting yourself better and staying better and enjoy your life.
He said: Thanks for your reply

And that was that. He is lying when he said he didn't know why my aunt had been texting. He did know! Also when he didn't like what I said he cut it off and said thanks for your reply

mumofmadboys Tue 25-Jun-19 00:28:53

Could you see him briefly and leave the past in the past? It will not help to discuss why he has failed to be a good dad. Could you hear his current news and tell him about your present life and see how things go? Wishing you well.

Jcxx Tue 25-Jun-19 09:26:44

No this is why I said what I've wrote above

MawBroonsback Tue 25-Jun-19 10:07:11

Did it have to be by text? Albeit a long one?
For something so absolute and final, I would have tried to put it in a letter even if I didn’t feel up to a face to face goodbye.

Anja Tue 25-Jun-19 10:42:34

Your ‘Mam’ has the right idea. Stick with her and respect that she knows what she’s talking about.

Bibbity Tue 25-Jun-19 12:07:19

Why is a letter any different from a text. I think the OP did brilliant.
He challenged her and tried to manipulate her and she stood her ground.
If he wanted a relationship he had 21 years. Now it’s to late.

janeainsworth Tue 25-Jun-19 15:22:49

Why is a letter any different from a text

It’s a question of nuance and subtlety. It’s much easier to misinterpret a text. They are usually brief and don’t lend themselves to explanations and expressions of emotion that can be found in a letter.

Bibbity Tue 25-Jun-19 17:40:40

I don’t think that was a worry at all here. OP was very clear and level headed. This man is nothing to her and she doesn’t want him in her life.

Summerlove Tue 25-Jun-19 20:20:22

Letters and text are both written word. I see absolutely no difference in nuance and subtlety.

However, In most cases a letter leaves the sender and they don’t see it again assuming it’s a written one versus an email. A text stays with you until you delete it.

Unless you are an aunt of mine who photocopied a letter she sent berating a cousin of mine for how an event of hers happened. She then proceeded to show the letter to everybody on our side of the country.