Gransnet forums

Chat

Regeneration

(69 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Fri 28-Jun-19 09:48:13

I've just been reading about the £2bn regeneration of (my home town) Liverpool City centre including expansion of the knowledge quarter, a light railway connecting key areas and other major works which will create 7k new jobs.
It sounds exciting at a time when there are so many bleak projections being bandied about.

I was in central Bristol several months ago and they had lots of activity going on including new roadworks. They have great bus services and there's a vibrant feel to the place.
My local 'big' town of Guildford recently updated the Tunsgate Quarter and plans are in place for new bus and rail stations.

Is your area investing in it's future?

GabriellaG54 Sat 29-Jun-19 17:04:37

I did give feedback on my stays to the council, tourist information at harbourside and tripadvisor. All mine were and are 5* and highly recommended. I've never seen such a great bus service and I may ultimately move there, I liked it so much.

Urmstongran Sat 29-Jun-19 17:25:36

Well the Mayor of Manchester has announced that he intends to make buses fit for purpose in our city. Like London he says. Greater Manchester Transport is coming back and private companies such as Stagecoach won’t be able to just cherry pick the most lucrative routes any more whilst other areas can go hang.

Should be interesting.

Going off piste, Boris is apparently in Manchester tonight at the hustings in Clayton conservative club. He’s just arrived .... by helicopter! Mind you so has Jeremy Hunt. You’d think they could’ve shared one!

Tillybelle Sat 29-Jun-19 17:43:05

How can they afford it? I thought the Country was broke? I thought the NHS was on its knees, Education flagging etc. I realise these are different pots of money but isn't it all the same in the end?

Where does the money come from?

They will say when they begin it is going to cost £x billion and be finished in x years.. After a couple of years £x + x, and so on. Look at the cost of Hinkley C.

MawBroonsback Sat 29-Jun-19 18:00:27

It’s not a question of can they afford to do it, Tillybelle but can they afford not to. Urban regeneration stimulates the local economy, providing employment and improving the environment for those who live there as well as hopefully attracting investment from outside. . To tackle the issues of decline and urban decay, UK cities and others around the world have all designed processes of urban regeneration.
What they may have in common is significant private sector participation in the regeneration and rehabilitation of decaying urban areas.

Callistemon Sat 29-Jun-19 20:35:26

You meeting interesting people.
None more interesting than Bristolians wherever you travel, Gabriella!

Aepgirl Sat 29-Jun-19 21:18:47

My local town, Wokingham in Berkshire, has recently been ‘regenerated’ and it is an absolute disaster. It was a lovely country market town before, now it’s a horrible modern, soulless town with so many empty shops because the shopkeepers who were there during the horrendous works and road closures, lost footfall and couldn’t afford to stay.

Overthehills Sat 29-Jun-19 21:28:16

I agree SueDonim and Lindyloo about Scotland - the money stays in the central belt. Aberdeen may have a new bypass but have you been on the rest of the A96 recently Paddyann? Moray Council gets the least of any council in Scotland, so much so that “essential” cutbacks include grass cutting on areas adjoining schools and areas where children play, leading to an increase in ticks and the possibility of Lyme Disease. That’s only one example of how central (Scottish) government cuts are affecting people here in the north east.

SueDonim Sat 29-Jun-19 23:18:46

I thought you would know that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, Paddyann.

Yes, the bypass for which planning began in 1946. Successive govts failed to act and Holyrood didn't exactly shake a leg to get it done either. In the meantime Glasgow & Edinburgh got all their new road systems and of course the over-budget tram system in Edinburgh.

As Overthehills says, the A96 is appalling. Much of it is single carriageway and some of it is reminiscent of a 1950's country lane, all twists and bends, up hill and down dale. That's a major road linking two of Scotland's main cities outside the Central Belt.

Now Aberdeen (and Inverness & Fort William) has had their New Caledonian Sleeper trains taken away - to be given to Glasgow and Edinburgh. The Central Belt riding rough-shod over us again.

NannyC1 Sun 30-Jun-19 03:19:49

EllenVannin Actually Laing O Rourke are now the contractor for the new Royal Liverpool Hospital so although there is not a completion date, it is moving forward in being finished. And actually I am Dammed glad that I do live in Liverpool for many reasons actually. Of course if your brother can't wait to leave that's his choice

Cagsy Mon 29-Jul-19 17:57:36

I have to strongly disagree with Ellan Vannen, Liverpool is an amazing, vibrant city that attracts so many visitors each year. Some people we met on holiday came and stayed in one of our fabulous hotels from their home in Scotland and were blown away by the beautiful buildings, great pubs and restaurants and of course the people (well most of them anyway) and can't wait to return as there's so much to see. I've lived here for 57 years and never wanted to live anywhere else, of course it's got it's problems - where hasn't, but I see a creative energy trying to tackle some of these problems. I only wish Joe Anderson would build some council houses, it's all student accommodation in and around the city centre.

paddyann Mon 29-Jul-19 19:43:07

that overbudget tram system was a Labour project as was the overbudget Holyrood building .The SNP had 7 decades of Lanbour failings to catch up on and they've done well in the few years they have been in power especially as they've been mitigating austerity measures like the bedroom tax and thats costing a lot of money every year

I'm sure you think we'd be better off under a Tory government ..oops look south and see the mess they're in !Anyone with half a brain can see the population is much more condensed in the central belt so the need for better roads is higher.Who IS running your councils now?

M0nica Mon 29-Jul-19 19:59:16

What will the cost of all these new builds be in energy use and emissions of CO2?

Every such development should have to publish an environmental impact plan. Including why it is not refurbishing existing buildings and re-utilising them in a sustainable way. All these generation schemes are generally neglected slums within 20 years.

lemongrove Mon 29-Jul-19 21:45:02

Just been with a friend who had a few days in Liverpool, she thought it was wonderful, so much culture there, galleries and museums etc, and she urged me to go with her next time.So long since I was there, but the Catholic Cathedral was (is) breathtaking in it’s design, and the busy city had a real buzz.

GabriellaG54 Mon 29-Jul-19 22:16:10

Cagsy
Agreed. I'm a big fan of Liverpool and Liverpudlians and get a bit emotional when talking to some call centre staff who have 'the accent'. Then we get to chatting about all sorts of unrelated stuff as you do.
I was in a local (Guildford) taxi on Saturday and the driver asked if I was from the North ( flat vowels ?)
Turned out he and his family are huge fans of the City and visit often. All also support LFC through thick and thin...as I do.
We're universally loved, moreover, we can poke fun at ourselves too.
Great place and great people.

GabriellaG54 Mon 29-Jul-19 22:40:44

Lemongrove

The RC ( Metropolitan) Cathedral is called 'the thruppenny bit' after the 12 sided old brass coin which was worth three pennies.

The Anglican Cathedral is huge and has a great refectory where you can enjoy drinks snacks or full meal.

It was built over three generations with sons, fathers and grandfathers all using their masonry and carving skills.
First stone laid in 1904 completed in 1978.

Here are a few pics. The white one is the RC and redbrick the Anglican.

GabriellaG54 Mon 29-Jul-19 22:51:32

lemongrove
Mezzanine cafe bar is in Anglican Cathedral and The Crypt is in the RC Cathedral and holds 300 diners. They have other dining areas too.

The waterfront is worth a visit on it's own but I dislike the constant music and guide-talk on the ferries. I don't know if they still do it (music and talking via the tannoy) but I hate it.

Library and museums are all walking distance from waterfront and Cathedrals.

You must also visit the Philharmonic pub, it's amazing...especially the 'gents'.
It too is walking distance from the Cathedrals.

EllanVannin Mon 29-Jul-19 22:58:31

The RC cathedral is nick-named Paddy's Wigwam.

GabriellaG54 Mon 29-Jul-19 23:52:46

EllanVannin
When I lived there it was called the thruppeny bit. Maybe it has two names. Lots of Irish blood in Liverpool. smile