Gransnet forums

Chat

Where did you buy yours? Baby equipment.

(78 Posts)
gmelon Sat 13-Jul-19 12:49:46

There seems nothing you cant buy for babies from supermarkets nowadays.
When I was pregnant Mothercare was one of the few places to buy baby equipment.
I bought most of the clothes from there with the odd addition from Woolworths. The cot was Mothercare too.
With a pram from Debenhams and later on a pushchair from again Mothercare.
Oh and the baby bath came in a set with bucket and potty. From Littlewoods.
Of course there were all the knitted layettes from friends mothers and random ladies who loved to knit.
Plenty of hand me downs from a young aunt who'd completed her family.
As for gifts no one worried "but will they like it" and everything was gratefully received by us.
Where did you buy/acquire yours.

loopyloo Mon 15-Jul-19 10:11:36

Had done part one midwifery, so knew things could go wrong and was surprised when I came home with a live baby! Basic stuff from mothercare. My mother bought a carrycot on wheels. Then when baby 2 came along I bought second-hand twin pram, silver cross. Wonderful suspension and room for the shopping underneath. Then a second hand twin Mclaren. Great design, you could hold child in one arm and fling the buggy open with the other. Very little money so lots of preused stuff.

callgirl1 Mon 15-Jul-19 21:18:22

My first baby rode around in a beautiful Silver Cross coach built pram, second hand from a friend, but like new, it had never been outside! The cot was my auntie`s cast off after her 3rd baby, the carry cot and stand (on their last legs!) were given to me, Nappies were bought from a local cotton mill, 19 shillings a dozen, we bought some clothes, some were bought for us, my mother knitted a fair few things, as did a workmate. The baby bath was given to us by a neighbour, one of those heavy papier mache ones, we still had it years later, it got used for all sorts. We bought a new pram for baby number 4, a Pedigree one, vinyl coated, a good size but not as big as the Silver Cross, bought from a local store`s baby department, it did for baby 5 as well.
Our first pushchair was a Cumfifolda with hood and apron, something quite new then, when baby 2 came along 13 months after the first, we bought the twin version of the Cumfifolda.
I was expecting my third before we had a washing machine, till then I went to the launderette with half the washing and hand washed the rest.