Gransnet forums

Chat

When did you last say something meaning something else ?

(59 Posts)
BlueBelle Mon 15-Jul-19 13:58:53

Today I had to have a phone consultation with a very nice man about my broadband being slow We got on very well he did various tests and is going to come back to me on Thursday to check how it is going
At the end of the call he told me I would get a text message asking about how well he’d done with the problem
I answered ‘that’s fine Paul I ll give you a big fingers up ‘
I put the phone down wincing realising my thumbs up had got the wrong digit

MissAdventure Tue 16-Jul-19 17:37:13

Always think "It's a big ask" sounds like "a big arse".

justwokeup Tue 16-Jul-19 21:31:16

I saved these for when OH was out tonight as I knew I'd have a good laugh. A Freudian slip for your colleague I think Davida1968. That really made me laugh out loud. I guess the other teachers were trying not to giggle.

trendygran Tue 16-Jul-19 21:45:00

Years ago my now late DH and I used to,play cribbage sometimes and the scoring definitely included ‘one for his nob’ . Think I laughed when first played , but then just accepted it! Probably not allowed now!

angelic Tue 16-Jul-19 22:08:20

Headteacher at school fete said now we are going to have the willy (welly) throwing competition?

Jomarie Tue 16-Jul-19 22:32:58

Thank you everyone just what I needed!!

BradfordLass72 Wed 17-Jul-19 00:36:01

I don't dispute the T-word used by grannysue05 might have other connotations as a local dialect word of some fondness but according to the Broadcasting Standards Authority, not in New Zealand where it is just as offensive as in the UK.

I'd stick to 'twit' if I were thee. grin

Mollyplop Wed 17-Jul-19 06:13:26

I've got tummy ache from laughing at this thread! Thanks everyone smile

JackyB Wed 17-Jul-19 09:11:50

chicken's post took me back to when my Nanna taught me to play cribbage. I've forgotten it all now, but "one for his nob" did ring a bell.

I looked it up here:

www.mastersofgames.com/rules/cribbage-rules.htm

About halfway down the page: There it is! (under "The Show")

Neither my Nanna nor I, age 9 or so, would have had any idea!