Gransnet forums

Chat

ever feel you have wasted a day

(86 Posts)
travelsafar Tue 16-Jul-19 22:01:55

Not sure why i feel like this today but i do. Out early with my sister for a couple of hours shopping then home. Picked some raspberries and gooseberries from the garden and prepped the salad for dinner this evening, then i just felt so wiped out and had no energy left to do anything else!!! Felt like a really old lady as i sat down just before 2pm and there i have been for the rest of the day. Feel better now it has cooled down but also feel cross that i have wasted a day doing nothing really. Anyone else felt this way about their day.

Hetty58 Wed 17-Jul-19 08:19:21

Bordersgirl57, I was also brought up to 'make myself useful' and have ideas of plans for the day and achieving targets firmly set in my mind after a very busy working life.

However, I'm retired now so it's my time. I'm slowly adjusting my way of thinking. Some days I just need to recharge my batteries. I don't have to push myself to keep going on hot and humid days - why should I?

sodapop Wed 17-Jul-19 08:57:04

I think most of us were brought up with a strong work ethic which has been with us throughout our lives. It's difficult now to change that and we feel the need to be busy all the time. We should be kinder to ourselves and take time to relax, read a book or just sit in the garden, we have earned it.

Washerwoman Wed 17-Jul-19 08:59:25

Jacky I have been humming that to myself too!I've been listening to past desert island discs recently and a comment by comedian Bob Mortimer who has had some issues with depression saying he now loves nothing more than a day full of purposelessness.Me too now after years of buzzing around like a bee working,looking after family.I was always useless at relaxing and it took it's toll on my health.I can still have lots of really busy,productive days but every now and again I push the to do list aside and have a whole afternoon of nothing more than reading,or filling the bird feeder and sitting for ages watching them feast.Or having a snooze.Lovely.

Sara65 Wed 17-Jul-19 09:03:40

If I’m at home, just reading, or doing nothing in particular, as soon as I hear my husbands car in the drive I leap up and start rushing around, I’ve no idea why, it’s not like he’s going to accuse me of being lazy.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 17-Jul-19 09:04:59

soda I think that is right with regard the work ethic, and difficult to alter your mindset when you retire. Looking back I am not sure how I managed to do what I did in a day. I certainly couldn’t do it now, nor would I want to.

Perhaps we should learn to appreciate the beauty around us and learn to stand and stare.

BlueBelle Wed 17-Jul-19 09:06:49

It doesn’t really matter how much I do or don’t do I never feel I ve accomplished what I should have and blimey don’t the bedtimes come round quickly I no sooner seem to get up that I m off to bed again

GrannyGravy13 Wed 17-Jul-19 09:21:22

I struggle with guilt if I have a "me" day.

Mr.Gravy since his retirement, however has absolutely no problem doing nothing all day.

I honestly do not think women have the "retirement" gene, as there is always a job that needs doing, whether you have a large house, flat or a granny annexe!!!

EllanVannin Wed 17-Jul-19 09:38:32

I'm past caring now as I think most days are wasted but I worked so hard for over 40 years that I intended to gradually slow down since retirement, plus when illness struck for the first time in my life I had no option but to take things easy. It's paid off because it was 13 years ago that I was told enough was enough, so why should I now care whether everything gets done or not ?
I do what needs doing and that's that. The time still flies by and I'm never bored/lonely.
Then again I have no-one to consider, i.e. husband/partner etc--just 3 cats.

travelsafar Wed 17-Jul-19 09:40:45

I agree about the work ethic being an issue when you retire. Also i think i do have a tendancy to worry due to all the advise givenout that it is bad for health to inactive for long periods of time.I fret that it will be come to easy just to sit and stare. Today i feel more positive, i am off to cut the grass, sort out some shrubs in the garden and generally potter outside watering etc. If i am busy all morning i dont feel guilty bout a rest in the afternoon, as i can then potter about again in the evening.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 17-Jul-19 09:43:48

No I don't feel like that. There are days when I am completely wiped out before I even start the day. So I just get a book or something and lie down with windows usually open. Most of the time I just fall asleep. I don't worry about what needs doing, it doesn't matter. If this is what my body is doing then it is obviously what it needs. You don't have to be doing something all the time. Just looking after myself.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 17-Jul-19 09:46:44

GN, most of us are retired so why do we still rush around feeling we need to do unimportant jobs around the house. Stop feeling guilty and enjoy your time.

ooonana Wed 17-Jul-19 09:50:01

These days I try to feel no day is wasted. These are my precious golden years and each day is grabbed by the throat doing something enjoyable

Gma29 Wed 17-Jul-19 09:56:22

Yes, frequently! I often wonder quite what I’m for these days. So many days with no purpose other than getting to the end of it.

You seem to have had a very productive morning though, so I don’t see any harm in a rest, especially when it’s so warm.

Witchypoo Wed 17-Jul-19 10:05:21

Recently i have been falling asleep about 2pm. Feeling exhausted but doing almost nothing. I get anaemic often so off to docs for blood test, results are good so i am now just letting what happens during the day , happen. Im not ill just lazy smile

Urmstongran Wed 17-Jul-19 10:08:29

There is a Spanish proverb I like:

“It’s nice to do nothing
And then rest afterwards”

Suits lazy me to a ‘t’!

?

Viviness Wed 17-Jul-19 10:11:39

Im having time off work recovering from surgery and yes I feel some of my days are wasted. Im normally on the go all the time when at work and having to slow down is hard going - but Im getting used to it and it is rather nice. So I have read, sat, slept, watched tv and cleared lots of old papers and unwanted items from drawers, cupboards etc, followed by more sitting down, reading, snoozing and watching tv. This last week I have started going for walks which has been lovely. Ah well back to work next week (hmm)

Buntybunny21 Wed 17-Jul-19 10:16:02

Me too, love being in the garden, sitting or doing something. Just did some rose pruning earlier before breakfast when it's cooler. Hate being indoors all day, am a sun lover.

GrannyMosh Wed 17-Jul-19 10:17:24

travelsafar, you weren't doing nothing. You were listening to your body and resting. We all need to do it sometimes. Rather than beat yourself up over it, just give in and enjoy!

Annaram1 Wed 17-Jul-19 10:21:23

I do not feel guilty about a wasted day. First off, after breakfast, I'm on the computer, reading emails and seeing what you grans are up to. Then another cup of coffee, siting in the garden if nice, and looking at my jungle, and hearing the lovely birds, and maybe somebody mowing or cutting their hedge... My neighbour of 82 has a beautiful garden which she can't stop working on. She has won prizes with it, but she can't just stop and look at it and see how lovely it is. I love doing nothing except appreciating my garden, until lunch, then same again until about 4 when I might decide to go to the supermarket for a bit of exercise. The relax again until my big meal, then watch TV until about 1.00 am... night night...

gillybob Wed 17-Jul-19 10:29:08

I don't mean to bring this thread down to my miserable level but I worry that one day I will be lying on my death bed looking back on my life. Okay so I have achieved 2 lovely children and 4 wonderful grandchildren who I love more than life but what have I done? So far I have wasted almost 30 years doing a job I detest. I rarely get away for a holiday or even a short break. I spend my days and nights worrying about paying bills and wages.... that is completely wasted time. To me, pottering in the garden, reading a book, or enjoying a well deserved sit down with a cuppa could never be classed as wasted time.

annodomini Wed 17-Jul-19 10:33:12

No day is ever wasted unless I have a good book to read.

annodomini Wed 17-Jul-19 10:38:30

What I really mean is that: No day is ever wasted IF I have a good book to read.

inishowen Wed 17-Jul-19 10:39:49

I record a lot of tv programmes and when husband is out I'll sit down and watch them, knitting in hands. I do feel like I've wasted the day.

EllanVannin Wed 17-Jul-19 11:00:07

It does make you wonder what it's all for gillybob. I nearly killed myself working an extra 6 years just clearing all debts and tying up loose ends generally, but it took a Hell of a long time before I was anything like " normal " so there's no way I'm ever going to feel guilty at doing nothing. My time is spent healing my body and mind and not now thinking of what I should be doing. Those days are well gone.
I intended to live/ have at least many years in the future as those lived in the past.

Nothing is that urgent that can't wait, especially when it comes to housework anyway. Those who visit take me as I am as a person and to me that's more important than having to hurtle round fluffing up cushions and worrying about a lot bit of dust.

Margaux Wed 17-Jul-19 11:03:09

It's called dolce far niente in Italian - enjoy the sweetness of doing nothing. Preferably sitting in the sun in your garden or on your balcony. Sweet heaven.