Gransnet forums

Chat

Mobility scooters .......on the road!

(59 Posts)
kittylester Mon 22-Jul-19 13:28:33

Three times in the last few days I have seen men on mobility scooters on 'main' roads. I realise that some can go on roads but it seems very dangerous on a dual carriageway with traffic bearing down at 70mph.

What do you think?

Franbern Wed 24-Jul-19 08:45:06

I love that mobility scooters are available. Just wish they had been around forty years back, for my Mum When she had virtually no mobility the only way she ever got out of the flat was for my Dad to push her in a wheelchair, rather a lot for someone in his 80's.
I do still drive, but for local trips to shops, or my different clubs, if the weather is dry I prefer to use my scooter - pavement model only. I carry insurance, not just for myself, but should i accidently cause damage to a car or wall,etc. I am covered.
We are fortunate in LB of Waltham Forest that there are dropped kerbs, virtually everywhere, and I have found that car drivers are extraordinarily considerate is stopped when i am waiting to cross a road.
For local, small shops I park this outside and use a walking stick to get round. I do feel that using the scooter is a lot more eco friendly than my car for such short trips of a mile or so.
I think most scooters users are considerate people, but - as with all things - there are going to be a tiny minority who are rude. Must say I have never been tempted to have one that goes on the road, sounds pretty nightmarish to me.

NanaandGrampy Wed 24-Jul-19 09:09:14

Yes scooters from Motability are only available if you are in receipt of the higher rate mobility allowance * Suzie* , but insurance is available to anyone ( and its not an unreasonable amount - I had a quote at £100 for the year for accident, 3rd party liability and breakdown and theft) .

Justme67 Wed 24-Jul-19 09:55:44

I have a mobility scooter, bought privately second hand, a bit rickety, but it does the job for me, because we are about 10 mins walk from the bus stop, and although the shops are close by - probably 10-15 minute walk, it is the carrying of the shopping home that makes me keep the buggie. I also have another one which was my husband's again, bought privately, because he needed it, but if you are not disabled and buy a buggie from a shop, then you must pay VAT. Our insurance cover was £40. each, and we had it just really as personal liability. My daughter told me of an item of news on the radio that a large proportion of NHS hospital money is spent on "loneliness. Having a buggie can help to cure some of that loneliness, amazing the number of people who will smile and say good morning, makes all the difference to the day. I know.

suziewoozie Wed 24-Jul-19 10:02:07

No no no no Justme. If you are disabled and buy mobility aids brand new, they are VAT free.

GabriellaG54 Wed 24-Jul-19 10:10:55

suziewoozie

You obvs didn't read that Justme67 mentioned if you are not disabled and buy a scooter from a shop, then must pay VAT.

suziewoozie Wed 24-Jul-19 10:12:38

Thanks Gabrielle - apologies JustMe. Very careless of me.

Alexa Wed 24-Jul-19 15:09:37

"Do you think I live in a bubble?" (Gabriella)

Sometimes you have that effect on me.

Justme67 Wed 24-Jul-19 16:49:58

No problem suziewoozie, I have been known to be wrong on several occasions, in fact very often! I used to do a newsletter for a group I belonged to, and found making a mistake was a good way of finding out who took the trouble to read them. Surprising!