Gransnet forums

Chat

Teapots

(65 Posts)
paddyann Thu 01-Aug-19 10:48:27

We still use a teapot that was a wedding gift 44 years ago .as my mother did before me I never actually wash it out just rinse it under the hot tap.We dont have hard water so theres no build up of any sort apart from the brown staining on the inside from years of 6 or 8 or more pots of tea a day .

I think washing it in soap might affect the taste so I was surprised when friends told me hers in put in the dishwasher daily.I never drink tea in her house so I have no idea if I'm right about taste .

Lyndiloo Fri 02-Aug-19 00:37:16

I like a steel teapot as it keeps the tea so hot. (Second cups, all round!)

I bleach mine every now and then as the inside gets very stained. (About an eggcup of bleach, fill with cold water, and leave overnight. Wash in detergent, rinse well, and then fill with boiling water, stand on a cooker ring and simmer for about 3 - 4 minutes.) Beautiful and shiny inside and out! This never spoils the taste of my tea.

And of course, you need a tea-cosy. I always buy a Harrods one! (My inside snob coming out!) Friends know my needs, and I have three now. But it has to be one with 'Harrods' printed on it - not just any old tea-cosy from Harrods! smile

paddyann Fri 02-Aug-19 01:02:48

I buy a new cosy every year at the artists market near my home ,currently have a quilted one with chickens on it

paddyann Fri 02-Aug-19 01:04:12

mine has a wooden handle and knob on the lid I'd be concerned about wood splitting if it was wet regularly

Triumph900 Fri 02-Aug-19 07:27:36

We've got a ceramic teapot , it gets rinsed out after every use and once in a while I'll put it in the dishwasher. Doesn't alter the taste of the tea .

ninathenana Fri 02-Aug-19 07:41:34

I think I might have a teapot at the back of a cupboard somewhere.

Tea bag in a mug in this house smile though mine is china. We only drink tea at breakfast and late afternoon. Otherwise it's coffee.

Carillion01 Fri 02-Aug-19 07:59:27

Only have two teapots now, one is for one person because DH often has tea and I'll have coffee. The second pot is an old Arthur Wood pot which I love (with Yorkshire tea... I bring hundreds of teabags back with me ever time I visit the UK... Liptons seems the brew of choice in Brittany ?)

I rinse the teapots under tap water, frightened they mightn't make it through a DW cycle.

I do have several friends however, who like you Paddyann swear by developing the flavour of tea through the way the pot is washed. Enjoy your cuppas!
☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️

Carenza123 Fri 02-Aug-19 08:08:47

Hi, my teapot is stainless steel and I have the sugar bowl and milk jug as part of the set. A wedding present from 49 years ago. I clean the teapot by putting in a scoop or two of washing powder, filling the pot up with boiling water and leave it to stand for a few hours. It comes up really clean after rinsing thoroughly.

annep1 Fri 02-Aug-19 08:20:07

I rarely use my ceramic teapot. When I do it's handwashed and put back clean in the cupboard. When I used stainless steel I washed with a brush. Didn't worry too much about the stains which were hard to remove.

Auntieflo Fri 02-Aug-19 08:35:25

Bikergran loved your spooky story.

rubysong Fri 02-Aug-19 08:55:10

My late MiL had a Picquot tea pot, sugar bowl, milk jug and tray which I admired. Earlier this year I managed to get a set the same at an auction. It's 'retro' stylish, pours beautifully and stays hot for ages. I cleaned it well when I got it but now just rinse. I had to tell off DH when he put the milk jug in the dishwasher. If I use leaf tea I empty the whole lot on the roses as my mother used to do. Does anyone else do that?

annodomini Fri 02-Aug-19 09:07:10

I have a on-person little red teapot with its own filter, which is my breakfast teapot. I have loose-leaf Ceylon tea. At other times of the day, I have roibos teabags. For visitors I bring out my Chatsford teapot also with a filter. I give them the occasional wash in the dishwasher and don't think it affects the taste at all, though a teapot never washed may have a considerable build-up of tannin which probably gives the tea its characteristic taste.

vould1990 Fri 24-Jul-20 02:47:59

I have glass teapots with infuser, wash with hot water. for the spout of teapots, I recommended using a teapot cleaning brush.

LullyDully Fri 24-Jul-20 08:18:56

Always a teapot for us.
Howeverblush I showed my age when teaching. The children were doing ' sequences'. We talked about making tea in steps. I realised I was talking to a different generation who put teabag, sugar and milk in the cup and poured on not water.

LullyDully Fri 24-Jul-20 08:19:38

Hot water. Sorry

Grandmabatty Fri 24-Jul-20 08:26:51

I have a lovely teapot for one that I use. I knit tea cosies and egg cosies too. I've found that the tannin marks come off if I rub salt on a damp cup or inside the teapot. You do have to rinse well!

lemongrove Fri 24-Jul-20 09:22:05

I don’t think it will affect the taste of the tea made, just keep rinsing it under the tap, or put it in the dishwasher now and then if you want to.
There were no dishwashers years ago and people survived their unwashed teapots.

Greyduster Fri 24-Jul-20 09:36:25

We’re not big tea drinkers here but I have one teapot, a lovely Spode Copeland Italian one, which I press into service when my DiL visits as she drinks a lot of tea! It never goes in the dishwasher; I just rinse it out with a solution of bicarb, dry it and put it away until she comes again. Why bicarb? I have no idea; just something my mother used to do! I have the cups and saucers to go with it but they never see the light of day.

MiniMoon Fri 24-Jul-20 09:45:35

I have a china teapot. It only comes out on high days and holidays.
I wash it with the teacups, with fairy liquid. I always rinse it with hot water, dry it out and put it away until the next time I have visitors.

shysal Fri 24-Jul-20 09:47:45

I don't possess a teapot. I don't like tea or coffee, prefer tap water.

GrannySomerset Fri 24-Jul-20 09:56:32

Our Old Hall teapot was a wedding present 58 years ago and has been in daily use. We have hard water so it goes in the dish washer when it looks grubby inside and comes out immaculate. It would be the thing I would rescue in a fire, I think!

geekesse Fri 24-Jul-20 10:27:35

I use my beautiful Poole Celeste teapot, and wash it in the dishwasher. I’m picky about tea (Lady Grey or Earl Grey in the mornings, Lapsang Souchong or Rose Pouchong at teatime, and then red bush before bed), and the dishwasher doesn’t cause any tainting of the taste.

lemongrove Fri 24-Jul-20 10:30:31

shysal

I don't possess a teapot. I don't like tea or coffee, prefer tap water.

?you’re a cheap date Shysal

lemongrove Fri 24-Jul-20 10:31:16

That is a lovely teapot geekesse envy

shysal Fri 24-Jul-20 11:28:38

Yes I am, lemongrove. I don't drink alcohol either!

MayBee70 Fri 24-Jul-20 11:38:06

I’ve been using a teapot since lockdown having realised you can get lots of cups of tea out of one teabag. But my teapot gets really scummy and it drips horribly. I’ve been using a stainless steel one but it isn’t mine and I have to give it back. I much prefer it.