Gransnet forums

Chat

Teapots

(65 Posts)
paddyann Thu 01-Aug-19 10:48:27

We still use a teapot that was a wedding gift 44 years ago .as my mother did before me I never actually wash it out just rinse it under the hot tap.We dont have hard water so theres no build up of any sort apart from the brown staining on the inside from years of 6 or 8 or more pots of tea a day .

I think washing it in soap might affect the taste so I was surprised when friends told me hers in put in the dishwasher daily.I never drink tea in her house so I have no idea if I'm right about taste .

HAZBEEN Fri 24-Jul-20 11:39:15

When my teapot or cups get a bit stained I use a denture cleaning tablet in them. One tablet for the pot and a half one for cups, fill with hot water, leave for 30 minutes or so then any stains left just wipe off. Quick rinse with hot water and the job is done. By the way I use denture tablets to soak away all sorts of stains and also to clean some china ornaments that have fiddly bits. Dont have a dishwasher.

eazybee Fri 24-Jul-20 11:40:51

I was told years ago, by a man, that you should never wash a teapot out with soapy water, but wash it separately with hot water. He made jolly sure his wife obeyed his instructions, even when they were camping!

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 24-Jul-20 11:43:50

I’ve got 12 vintage teapots

Don’t ask, it’s something that we don’t talk about.

MayBee70 Fri 24-Jul-20 11:49:10

I suppose teapots were made for the use of loose tea. Teabags seem to create scum (what a horrible word: never thought about it before) in cups. And there’s always a film on the top when it cools down.

Mapleleaf Fri 24-Jul-20 12:45:02

Teapot user here. We have a stainless steel one and a pot one for everyday use, plus one that is part of a tea service that only comes out for special occasions. The everyday ones go in the dishwasher - I hate to see built up tannin stains on them and on cups. The "posh" one is washed by hand as it's not suitable for the dishwasher.
Never noticed any tainting from washing them.

maydonoz Fri 24-Jul-20 15:01:25

We are also great tea drinkers in our house and always from a teapot., which these days is a ceramic one which is a bit heavy especially when pouring the first cup of the day in bed. I think a tea bag in a cup is so wasteful, you can get so many from one teabag in a teapot. My favourite is Yorkshire followed by PGTips and always decaf in the evening.
As to cleaning the teapot I usually wash it the morning and rinse well. Must try the bicarbonate to get rid of the tannin.

Callistemon Fri 24-Jul-20 15:06:44

vould1990

I have glass teapots with infuser, wash with hot water. for the spout of teapots, I recommended using a teapot cleaning brush.

I've got one of those but dont use it because it's not a good poorer, dribbles tea all over the work surface.

geekesse I really like your tea pot.

Callistemon Fri 24-Jul-20 15:07:25

Sorry, autocorrect again!!

Pourer

Peardrop50 Fri 24-Jul-20 15:11:18

Coffee drinkers here, just passing through.

jdga Sat 25-Jul-20 01:53:26

I have 2 tea-pots that are “out & about” - 1 is the classic “brown Betty” & the other (bought too many yrs ago to count!) is
the kind that has legs & is wearing a smart pair of shoes, lol.
Does anybody remember those?

NotSpaghetti Sat 25-Jul-20 02:27:52

I think the reason some people don’t wash the pots is going back to the Yixing teapots which were porous. These are the ones with the big handles and small bodies. There would be a teapot for each type of tea - they were only rinsed out so that the unique flavours developed.

If, like me you like different teas, Assam, Yunan, Green, for example, you might not want the flavours to be tainted.

ginny Sat 25-Jul-20 07:57:07

Two teapots in our house.
One is a green four cup and the other a small one that I use when I just need tea for me.
We rinse with hot water after each use and about once a week they go in the dishwasher.
Can’t stand tea made in the mug/ cup.

callgirl1 Sat 25-Jul-20 17:37:49

I`ve always washed my teapots every other day, one of my daughters tells me off, says they should never be washed. When I worked in a factory canteen, the teapots were large metal ones, the supervisor made us fill them with water from the boiler and lots of Domestos, every Friday, then leave them overnight. Nobody complained about the tea.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 25-Jul-20 19:17:20

Two tea pots always washed in the dishwasher.

The not washing them is rubbish imo.