Gransnet forums

Chat

A happy thread (to counteract the moaning one).

(171 Posts)
shysal Sat 03-Aug-19 07:25:10

It probably won't be as popular, but let us hear about good things that have happened too.

Yesterday I was given a huge bunch of flowers just because I did a couple of loads of washing for my neighbour while her new kitchen was being fitted.

My garden is a picture, best yet I think.

grannyqueenie Sat 17-Aug-19 23:15:25

Spent a lovely day with dd4 who is with us this weekend, enjoyed a pleasant walk around some beautiful wooded gardens. Dd put a photo of us on Facebook, an old school friend of hers commented that I look just the same as she remembers me.. Haven't seen this girl in over 20 years, she clearly didn't notice the extra weight, grey hair or wrinkles that I've gained along the way! Just the boost I needed! ?
Marydoll haven't been to St Andrews for decades, always thought it was a lovey place to visit.

Marydoll Sat 17-Aug-19 23:53:42

Thanks Gilly! I'm glad to hear you had a good day today and there is still Sunday to come.

We go to St Andrew's a few times a year, it's at least a two and a half hour drive for us and I've noticed recently that my husband has found it quite tiring and stressful, especially if the weather is bad on our return journey.
It was horrendous this evening.

Initially DH was reluctant to go by bus, but he is now talking about another coach tour. Mission accomplished.
We paid £15 each for the coach tour and it was worth every penny. The sun shone and I picked up some modern, but inexpensive jewellery into the bargain. ( I tend to be seduced by pretty things)

Victor Meldrew was a happy bunny, as he picked up a couple of golf shirts and was able to have a couple of drinks and get his "passport" stamped for a craft chain, where he has a few shares.
The added bonus was that he is the only member of our family to get a stamp from the St Andrew's pub, as it is new, which now puts him ahead of all the competition! grin

I feeling a warm, contented glow!

DanniRae Sun 18-Aug-19 07:49:43

What a lovely thread this is - I really enjoy reading and hearing all the happy stories. smile
Thank you Gransnetters !

Auntieflo Mon 19-Aug-19 12:32:27

I've just stopped for a coffee. I decided to paint the under stairs cupboard. Why? Just because I suppose, and I had some paint just sitting there, and it will finish up the can, then I can get rid of it.
Had to clear it all out first, so hope I remember where it all came from.
I will be very happy when I am all tidy again.

GagaJo Mon 19-Aug-19 12:38:09

Lovely half hour with grandson this morning, watching a TV kids programme about children starting school. He was engrossed so I covertly cuddled him. Don't often get the chance now, he's such a wee dynamo.

merlotgran Mon 19-Aug-19 12:50:02

My nephew is on holiday in Spain at the moment and sent me this message this morning.

'Every so often you achieve something in life so deeply satisfying that you know that no matter what happens in the future, no one can ever take it way from you.
Today, I surfed an inflatable giant turtle long enough to hum the first two bars of Hawai Five O before falling off!'

It made me laugh so much I thought I'd share it. grin

grannyqueenie Mon 19-Aug-19 13:17:02

We have house guests arriving this afternoon, so I dispatched my old boy to the supermarket with a comprehensive list... now this can sometimes be a “hit and miss” kind of a thing ? He came home with all the right things + a take away latte and a pastry each.. he's a good chap!

Auntieflo Wed 21-Aug-19 17:23:58

I have been looking for a picture to go in our lounge. Yesterday I found a lovely one in a charity shop for £3.00, and I love it.

BradfordLass72 Thu 22-Aug-19 06:53:03

Love your picture Auntieflo it has a nice feel of laid-back holidays in the sun. It'll remind you of sunny days when winter comes.

I had an SOS last night: could I look after my grandson as he wasn't well?

Of course I could and we had a lovely, quiet day together whilst outside the thunder, lightning, wind and rain raged.

He only had a cold and wasn't at all miserable and it made me smile a little because when I was sick at his age, short of actually collapsing with fever, I was sent to school.

I'm looking after him again at the weekend smile

BradfordLass72 Thu 22-Aug-19 06:55:01

merlotgran grin both for the turtle achievement and the fact your nephew told you about it.
Double Happy.

Niobe Thu 22-Aug-19 09:14:04

On Sunday we went to visit some friends whose DiL has had a baby boy. The couple have been married for 13 years and , after several rounds of failed( and very expensive !) IVF , had decided to accept that they would never be parents. Yes , you can guess that that was when they got pregnant without any help! Beautiful baby and very happy mum, dad and grandparents.

Auntieflo Thu 22-Aug-19 11:30:41

Thank you BradfordLass72, it does have a soft feeling, if you know what I mean, and it is easy to live with.
How nice to be able to spend time with your grandson.

* Niobe*, lovely news about your friend.

Scribbles Thu 22-Aug-19 12:15:25

A neighbour just brought me some flowers from his garden as a thank-you for taking in a few parcels and for keeping an eye on his house while he was away.
A completely unexpected surprise and it's made my day!

Gonegirl Thu 22-Aug-19 13:18:09

I am on holiday in the Dordoigne. The sun is shining and the sky is the bluest of blue. Old farmhouse we are in has a huge, beautiful garden. I am pleasantly full of French bread, butter,and cheese. #awayfromitall

merlotgran Thu 22-Aug-19 13:34:01

Sounds great, Gonegirl. smile

gillybob Thu 22-Aug-19 13:37:20

Sounds idyllic Gonegirl I am a teensy bit envy

kathsue Thu 22-Aug-19 14:12:52

My DGS just passed his English GCSE at the second attempt. I'm so happy and relieved for him. grin grin grin

Washerwoman Thu 22-Aug-19 14:39:04

I've just returned from a short stay with my DD.We spent all day yesterday doing a long distance walk,ambling along chatting and stopping for a picnic.Returning tired but achy to DDs house where she ran me a deep bath and cooked me a lovely meal.Just got home and honestly feel as if I've been on a long holiday !

merlotgran Thu 22-Aug-19 15:10:07

The youngest DGS had great results in his GCSEs and DH is cutting up plums ready for making wine.

Cheers!

Good news, kathsue I felt like that when DGS3 finally passed his driving test at the fourth attempt.

Relief!

Barmeyoldbat Thu 22-Aug-19 21:16:56

Had a lovely, lovely day. Went for a long cycle ride but spent it was cut short as we spent to much time in a little coffee shop, 3 hours in fact. Most of the time was spent doing a communal coffee shop cross word from the Guardian. Great fun and a lot of banter, A bit of sing song, yes in a cafe, one of the customers was going to sing in a concert and when she started singing we all joined in. And so it went on, it reminded me a bit of Last of The Summer Wine where everyone talks about anything.