Gransnet forums

Chat

Wedding disaster stories-averted ( or not?)

(57 Posts)
MawB Sun 25-Aug-19 10:10:12

A comment I made on another thread made me wonder who else narrowly avoided disaster at their or their daughter’s wedding?
My contribution to the preparations had been the champagne and smoked salmon for the bridesmaids’ breakfast at DD’s flat in London where the girls and I plus the hairdresser were supposed to be getting ready together. I planned to leave DH with his newspaper and SIL1to keep him company in our trendy Shoreditch hotel.
The morning before the wedding we were just leaving home to drive to London when I realised I had had no confirmation of the smoked salmon etc order and found to my horror that I had failed to complete the order, and No, they did not have a delivery slot that day! I had no idea of whether there was a suitable supermarket anywhere near DD’s flat to get it on foot and anyway there would be no time that day. In danger of running late I threw myself on their mercy and somehow they found a delivery slot at crack of dawn on the wedding day so my honour was saved!
Trivial perhaps, but a huge relief for me!
Do you have memories of similar close shaves?

Hetty58 Tue 27-Aug-19 17:40:41

MawB, the problem was that the invitation said to arrive at 2pm, which people did. Somebody had forgotten to allow fifteen minutes or so for the walk and settling in time. They had another wedding booked for later so couldn't wait to start the ceremony. It was a production line, a farm wedding (farm animals, farm smells, reception in large marquee with many wasps, etc. - quite a laugh!)

Hetty58 Tue 27-Aug-19 17:49:56

Knowing the real potential for arguments and disasters with my family, I chose a quick register office 'do' and party for both my weddings. We just invited a few friends and told the family later, much more fun.

Only one of my kids has married and I just made the cake (having tried really hard to talk her out of it!).

Theowlandthepussycat1 Tue 27-Aug-19 18:35:51

Trivial but funny in the end.... I was bridesmaid to my elder sister. It was a February wedding and sister was serenely in the hall of the family home waiting to leave. Someone, forever nameless, let the dog in from the back garden, dog trotted over the brides train leaving perfect muddy paw prints. It was like something out of a cartoon.. everyone froze and just started at the train. My sister didn't flinch, to her credit. Not a word was uttered. Our now dear departed father didn't miss a beat, he vanished and reappeared in seconds with a bowl of water and a cloth...the muddy footprints just slid off like magic. Daddy had class!

MandyRaff Thu 29-Aug-19 11:08:37

Not exactly a wedding day disaster. Having six children we were delighted when one daughter finally got married this April - beautiful day, beautiful ceremony etc. Like a fairytale or something out of a film. Fast forward four months and she has just chucked him out. She said the wedding was supposed to fix all the problems that were already there but they haven't and she can't put up with him anymore! sad

Hetty58 Thu 29-Aug-19 17:59:06

MandyRaff, what a waste of money and effort. I don't think a wedding (or holiday) ever fixes anything. My first husband was lovely until we married but he must have been on his best behaviour. His true character emerged when he relaxed, having 'won' me. I was off a year later!

I know somebody who tried to fix a failing relationship with a baby - an even worse idea - who is now a single parent, of course.

Floradora9 Thu 29-Aug-19 22:16:43

My cousin was an only daughter marrying a chap from Ireland so lots of his relatives were over to England for the wedding . An hour before the wedding the bride does a runner refusing to get married . Another male cousin was sent to the church gates to send everyone away but they would not go . Eventually the guest went and ate the wedding buffet then the bride turned up and the couple went off on their honeymoon regardless . The marriage did not last and I thought it must have been heartbreaking for her parents .
On a lighter note DS was standing facing the wedding guest with the bride when his phone went off . He had it on silent but he was in full kilt rigout so it vibrated in his sporran .

When we got married my husband to be thought he had hidden our hired car well on the wedding day and refused to tell me where he had left it . Turned out it was oposite my friends house and when we came to set off on honeymoon it was covered in confetti stuck on with treacle .