Gransnet forums

Chat

Bodyform ad

(33 Posts)
Doodle Tue 03-Sep-19 19:45:50

Just wondering what other GNetters think of the Bodyform add with the huge number of weird vagina shapes. It took me a while to realise quite what was going on (I thought the knitted one was a flower of some kind ?). I don’t think showing blood on a pad is a particularly pleasant thing to watch when eating my dinner or with young children around. Any thoughts from other grans?

janeainsworth Wed 04-Sep-19 16:09:03

I’ve watched it now. I think the idea is that we should be proud of our vulvas, or at least not ashamed of them, in the same way that some men are proud of their penises.

I’ve never been ashamed of mine but I don’t see any reason to be proud either.

annep1 Wed 04-Sep-19 17:09:59

To be honest I've never really thought about it lol.

Doodle Wed 04-Sep-19 20:58:06

I don’t particularly like the sight of blood on the TV no matter where it’s from. I keep my eyes shut when I’m having a blood sample taken. Yes it’s a bodily function but so is farting and picking your nose (if you wish to) but I don’t like watching those on the TV either.

janeainsworth Wed 04-Sep-19 21:17:51

I think revulsion or fear at the sight of blood is probably a normal, basic biological response.
Menstrual blood is the only blood which is shed as part of a normal process.
Otherwise, it’s the result of trauma or disease, and likely to provoke a ‘flight or fight’ response.

Magsymoo Wed 04-Sep-19 22:37:36

The grans on here might be blood phobic but hospital dramas, violent movies etc are hugely popular both on tv and cinema. Farting and other bodily functions have long been the subjects of slapstick and humour as of course has sex, another natural function that many people think should be private. Women's menstrual blood is one of the oldest and most stubborn of cultural taboos.
I grew up believing that periods were somehow shameful and not to be talked about and I regret that now. Too many aspects of women's lives and experiences have been kept hidden for too long.

Bathsheba Thu 05-Sep-19 08:17:22

I think the idea is that we should be proud of our vulvas, or at least not ashamed of them....I’ve never been ashamed of mine but I don’t see any reason to be proud either.

Well I'm neither proud nor ashamed of my vulva either, any more than I'm proud or ashamed of my left elbow. What an utterly bizarre concept confused

janeainsworth Thu 05-Sep-19 08:51:21

I grew up believing that periods were somehow shameful and not to be talked about and I regret that now

I grew up believing that periods were a normal part of a woman’s life, albeit sometimes an inconvenient one.

I still don’t understand how ignorant attitudes in the past justify a commercial company making an advertisement which caricatures a private and indeed precious part of a woman’s body.