Gransnet forums

Chat

Scarves, what is it about them..?

(142 Posts)
Marydoll Mon 16-Sep-19 17:37:52

In the light of the many serious threads on GN at the moment, I thought I would post something light hearted and vacuus.

I decided to tidy out the hall cupboard today. In it was a huge curver box, overflowing with scarves of every colour, pattern, weight etc. I'm too embarrassed to say how many. blush
I even bought four in Rome last week, the fact that they were only 2 Euros each, may have influenced me. grin
They were a bargain, of surprisingly good quality, but I didn't really need them. Basically they seduced me with their vibrant colours! smile

Does anyone else share this obsession? I know Nan Kate does, as she has previously mentioned it!

Cherrytree59 Mon 16-Sep-19 19:17:22

gilly there quite a few infinity scarves on Amazon.
No tie or draping required smile

agnurse Mon 16-Sep-19 19:18:17

I have a few scarves in my collection, but I do wear most of them.

I like to wear them for work as they make some plainer outfits a little more dressy.

Coolgran65 Mon 16-Sep-19 19:18:49

I love a scarf and wear one almost every day, have done so since I was just started work at 18.

One great alternative use... sometimes I have flowers and not just the correct vase for them. Maybe it's the correct shape but a wrong colour so I go straight to my scarf store. There is always one scarf that is the perfect colour/s to wrap around an existing vase and secure with a couple of long pins with pearl heads.

At present I have pale pink and cream roses from the garden in a vase on my dining table. The vase is actually a blue and white kitchen jug and has a cream lace scarf wrapped around it several times. It looks beautiful.

Nannyxthree Mon 16-Sep-19 19:25:26

I have a scarf drawer too. Too many to hang up. The woolly ones are too hot for me now so I like the long silk ones best. Another reason to mourn the passing of the East shops as they sold beauties.

watermeadow Mon 16-Sep-19 19:32:28

The charity shop I help in gets piles of scarves, which don’t sell, so I thought the fashion for them had passed.
Hoorah, I thought, can’t wait for the end of the big wide necks on tops and jumpers which went hand in hand with the need for a scarf to fill the space. I heartily dislike both.
I’ve got one scarf, long and woolly, which I never wear.

Marydoll Mon 16-Sep-19 19:34:05

I have no solution, as I have to admit to having more, outwith the curver box! blush.

Some scarves I stored on a pelmet thingy, from years ago. Its original use was to make a woven window blind. You threaded the material, backwards and forwards through a series of holes, until you could no longer see the frame.
The holes are ideal for hanging scarves.

Parsley3 Mon 16-Sep-19 19:52:44

Ah, scarves. I was sorting through my large collection yesterday with a view to donating some to a charity shop but I found that I need all of them. I love a scarf.

gillybob Mon 16-Sep-19 22:08:44

I need something nice to think about at the moment.

What is an infinity scarf? smile

grannyqueenie Mon 16-Sep-19 22:40:01

Oh I do love a nice scarf! I did do a bit of a cull at the end of last winter, but there’s still a fair few left and now of course there’s room for a few more!

Feelingmyage55 Mon 16-Sep-19 23:02:48

Guilty but my daughter “borrows” some when she visits - so I just buy another. Why not?

Chewbacca Mon 16-Sep-19 23:04:04

Gillybob an infinity scarf is just one that's in a circle; not just a linear piece of fabric. You can loop it around your neck and it stays in place.

gillybob Mon 16-Sep-19 23:07:10

Oh yes I see Chewbacca thank you . I could probably manage something one that. smile

Lilypops Mon 16-Sep-19 23:11:02

I have lots of scarves too,they make an outfit,
I love the way Mary Berry ties her scarves, I have tried to figure out how she does it but I can't seem to get it to look the same as hers does, Any know the secret of how she ties it?

Chewbacca Mon 16-Sep-19 23:20:07

Have a look on YouTube Lilypops, there are loads of tutorials on there that show you dozens of ways to style a scarf.

CanadianGran Mon 16-Sep-19 23:22:48

I also love scarves, and I find my favourite are very light cotton or blend. They keep off a draft, but are not too hot. Silk are lovely but too slippy, and I'm always fixing them to stay put.

I did just buy a lovely pleated knit heavier scarf for winter. It was on a mannequin, and it's just the right stripey mixture of winter colours; taupe, grey, Bordeaux and a pinky-plum. It will look really nice with my navy winter coat, and my grey rain jacket.

I have a basket in the front closet, so I can throw one on as i'm going out the door.

Marydoll Tue 17-Sep-19 07:18:03

For those of you asking how to tie a scarf.
I tried to do a fancy hyperlink, but it just won't work.
I promise, this is not a dodgy link! grin

www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/333336809903039460/?lp=true

Pantglas2 Tue 17-Sep-19 08:26:58

Ooh Marydoll you minx......scarves are my thing and as you know I’m in Spain where they’re cheap as chips in the markets!

Also the multicoloured long stone beaded necklaces which can be doubled up or just knotted above the boobs are so plentiful and cheap at 4/5 euros each.

I love dressing in all through in plain colours and ‘lifting’ the outfit with a coloured scarf or beads and earrings to match - focuses the eye away from my body faults!

Marydoll Tue 17-Sep-19 08:51:51

A girl after my own heart! grin

Allegretto Tue 17-Sep-19 08:55:11

I love scarves. I often buy a scarf when I am travelling. They provide great memories of many trips.

shysal Tue 17-Sep-19 09:12:09

Cherrytree, I use tie racks for my scarves, as I don't buy chunky ones. Some examples from Ebay here. I have ordered a couple of the 'holy' one for inside the wardrobe doors.

Sara65 Tue 17-Sep-19 09:55:59

I agree, you can never have too many scarves.

I do sort them every season and take some to the charity shop, but I buy more than I get rid of

Millie22 Tue 17-Sep-19 16:08:57

I love scarves. As I was going out today I realised I'd forgotten my scarf and went back to get one. Summer or winter they finish off an outfit.

NanaandGrampy Tue 17-Sep-19 17:48:30

I used to wear a scarf to soften my suits when I worked .

Now , I don’t need them except for a darn good woolly one in winter but oh , the pleasure my grandkids get from my large box of scarves. They wear them , make long plaited ropes out of them , tie each other up when playing , dress up the dog ( and Grampy) . They’re worth their weight in gold on a rainy day!

TwiceAsNice Tue 17-Sep-19 18:14:24

I have loads of scarves too. Bought another one whilst on holiday in France in May and just took some from my daughter that she was going to give to the charity shop ( silly girl what about her mother!) Usually wear them more on the winter but they get draped around the shoulders in summer when the sun goes down

M0nica Tue 17-Sep-19 19:09:45

With a narrow back and sloping shoulders I cannot even keep a knitted jacket on my shoulders, unless it has a button to anchor it.

When it comes to scarves, they slip, they slide, they draggle into water when I use a wash basin, threaten to immolate me if I go near a cooker, fall off and either trip me up, or disappear without trace.

Unless it is a long knitted scarf under a buttoned-up coat to anchor it, I live, and intend to continue to live in a scarf-free environment.