Gransnet forums

Chat

Car free day

(37 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Sun 22-Sep-19 14:12:24

Did you know that today is world car free day.
As it happens we aren’t going anywhere today so a few brownie points for us.
I must admit that I’ve never heard of it but am prepared to take credit where I can.
If you had known would it have made you stay at home or use another type of transport?

QuaintIrene Mon 02-Dec-19 16:25:59

Everyday is a car free day for me. I have never had the means to learn to drive, or run a car.
Bus fares are expensive and I wait until I have a few errands to run before I make a journey.
I have a supermarket 10 minutes walk away, so I go there for shopping and get a taxi home.
Next door have 5 cars and all work at the same company they run. They go to work and come home , alone in a car each ?
They are one of those “funny” families, though.

M0nica Mon 02-Dec-19 16:07:00

I have car free days most days of the week. On the other hand if you can only get to work by driving because public transport isn't practical - try living other than in a big city - , you do not have a choice.

agnurse Mon 02-Dec-19 15:40:49

Didn't know about it, and I can't. I commute to work, and we live in a small town, so there is no public transit available. Once I get into the city, I can technically use transit, but to get a free parking space at the transit center you have to get there by 0700. The only other option is to go on the waiting list for a paid parking space, and that list is MONTHS long.

Sadly, public transit in Canada is not nearly as good as it is in the UK. When we visit the UK, we don't rent a vehicle - neither one of us is comfortable driving on the left side of the road (Hubby learned to drive after he moved to Canada) and of course there is much more traffic there than there is here. 90% of the places we go, we can access via public transit, and the few we can't, we either get a taxi or we rely on a ride from SFIL or one of Hubby's siblings. When we've gone to visit other communities, we've taken the train, much to DSD's delight.

Gfplux Mon 02-Dec-19 15:34:29

What about a
“Try public transport day”
I first started using the local bus about once a week couple of years ago.
At first it was quite difficult. It was strange walking for five/ten minutes from my home instead of just getting in the car. The next issue was waiting for the bus (how pampered we are)
However once on the bus it became clear that I could enjoy this.
Now a couple of years later I enjoy the whole experience.
I recommend trying it out yourself.

HeyTheree Mon 02-Dec-19 15:06:16

Oh, I guess it would be easy to participate in the car-free day once per year if it's a day off. Otherwise, it's almost nearly impossible because of my job and family. I guess we should have at least 1 day per month like this. Anyway, I have a motorcycle, does this count? I wanted to buy an electric bike one day, besides, according to yourmotobro, it looks and rides as a gas-powered one.
By the way, what do you think about Buy Nothing Day? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buy_Nothing_Day

Lisagran Mon 23-Sep-19 22:06:32

And for October -

projectbritain.com/specialdays/october.htm

Lisagran Mon 23-Sep-19 22:05:10

projectbritain.com/specialdays/september.htm

Cold Mon 23-Sep-19 18:31:52

Well I didn't use the car yesterday

DH had to though as he didn't fancy waiting 27 hours until the next bus after working a 24 hour shift in healthcare

PamelaJ1 Sun 22-Sep-19 20:34:41

Is there a list of these days anywhere? ?‍☠️ ?

Doodle Sun 22-Sep-19 18:48:27

Aaarrrgh that it would phoenix. Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum. ? cheers! ?

phoenix Sun 22-Sep-19 18:46:08

Living where see do, the only retail facility within walking distance is the village shop, which closes at 12 on a Sunday.

BTW, did anyone realise that Thursday was International Talk Like a Pirate Day?

I kid you not, Google it if you don't believe me!

Shame we missed it, could have made for a good lighthearted thread! (For a change.........)

Ninarosa Sun 22-Sep-19 18:33:00

Pinot Grigio, chicken slapped between seedy bread and 'Celebration' disco hit on Spotify , esconced in my boudoir. Crumbs in bed, shooed them onto his side.
Thanks for good tidings all.

PamelaJ1 Sun 22-Sep-19 18:12:48

Nina hope you have? with it.

Ilovecheese Sun 22-Sep-19 18:09:59

Happy Anniversary Ninarosa

I think perhaps this day was something publicised more in schools. The emphasis here seemed to be on children being able to play safely in the street rather than environmental issues.

Oldandverygrey Sun 22-Sep-19 18:05:28

Happy anniversary Nina, enjoy your chicken!

Ninarosa Sun 22-Sep-19 17:22:24

It's also our ruby anniversary day. Husband oblivious to the fact; my own fault, I should have broadcast it in the run up if I'd wanted some recognition of it.
Perhaps I'm a bit of an oddball ,we seemed to stop mentioning our anniversaries some time after the 25th and he's never been one for the grand gesture or even a card. I seem to have cut my nose off to spite my face!
Have had a short trip in the car to buy myself a small ready cooked chicken which I shall hide in the salad drawer (he never goes in there ), and binge on in private .

gillybob Sun 22-Sep-19 16:57:42

Lived the goal posts ? What on Earth are you talking about woman ?

Moved the goal posts !

gillybob Sun 22-Sep-19 16:57:01

They have lived the goal posts with bus passes as well as pensions so I doubt they will even exist when I’m old enough to have one in 10 years time Gramaretto smile

Grammaretto Sun 22-Sep-19 16:44:35

Gilly you are just far too young. Some of us have a bus pass. wink

BlueBelle Sun 22-Sep-19 16:28:15

Well it’s a good day for me I ve never owned a car and never driven a car
Cycle, walk, bus or train my only means and all is good

gillybob Sun 22-Sep-19 16:27:41

The bus fares around here are extortionate!

Grammaretto Sun 22-Sep-19 16:27:35

I heard it on the radio this morning so went by bus and walked but I won a rather heavy plant in the raffle at the horticultural show so hitched a lift home!
I wish these things were better known about.
It is so nice to walk traffic free occasionally.

PamelaJ1 Sun 22-Sep-19 16:22:13

Do you think it should be someone’s job at gransnet HQ to warn us ahead of time when there is A DAY?
Then we may all try to be good?. Not just, like me, be good by accident.
The roads round Harrogate have been quiet- roads are closed for the cycle races.
I do try and use buses when possible and we do live about 250yards from a bus stop. Trouble is there aren’t many buses.

Septimia Sun 22-Sep-19 16:08:54

I wish it had been motorbike free day! There have been ancient motorcycles going through our village all day - there must have been some sort of event on. So much for the peace of the countryside.

gillybob Sun 22-Sep-19 16:06:23

I will have no choice but to use my car later today when I take my baby granddaughter home at about 7pm when my DD gets in from work . No way I would subject her to 2 buses and a long walk in the dark when it’s not necessary . I don’t feel in the slightest bit guilty either . I rarely make a car journey just for pleasure.