Gransnet forums

Chat

Feeling dismissed.

(57 Posts)
Esther1 Sun 22-Sep-19 18:24:05

DS and family are living with me and DH for a few months while waiting for their new house. We get on really well although I do make a real effort to be jolly and laid back about the way they have literally taken over the whole house, but quietly the mess and clutter gets me down ( I never ever show it). My DIL is a wonderful mother to her little ones and DS a wonderful father. Both of them kind and caring and give the children endless time. My DS has 2 jobs but still is expected to take over with the children at either end of the day even though he is exhausted. I never even show the slightest disapproval- I keep chatty and smiling, I promise you, I am really good at this. My DIL doesn’t work and neither do I so I try and help all the time, and it is lovely to see so much of the babies. I literally act as Girl Friday/Nanny/Cleaner. I just feel a little taken for granted by my DIL and dismissed when not particularly required. It makes me feel unimportant and even a bit in the way. Should I stop being just so NICE all the time because it is quietly getting me down. It’s probably not worth any possible bad feeling as they will move out in a couple of months and I will miss them, mess and all. They won’t be far away so I think I will just have to keep smiling through gritted teeth. Sorry to whinge - I think I have just had a belly full of being pushed aside in my own home today.

Hithere Thu 26-Sep-19 13:51:47

Alexa,

So who takes care of homemakers and gives them a well deserved break - vs working hours?
Which schedule do the homemakers have?

Rebellious Thu 26-Sep-19 14:28:17

As a working mother, neither being in the work place or running the home is easier than the other. All have responsibility to the home and the children while they are within it.

Madgran77 Thu 26-Sep-19 14:32:19

Hithere *So who takes care of homemakers and gives them a well deserved break - vs working hours?
Which schedule do the homemakers have?*

Exactly Hithere! "Homemakers" are just there to service everybody else apparently!!

OP you are doing an amazing job. In terms of your offers of help being turned down, I think your DIL may be just trying to be a mum to her kids; she may well not think about how the rejection feels to you or even be aware of how it might feel.

I do think you need a chat about clearing up the toys ...a bit of honesty about its lovely to have them with you but the toys just left out is difficult for you so could you both discuss the best way to deal with that ...even talk about being nervous of tripping over them and falling which I certainly would be!flowers

Summerlove Thu 26-Sep-19 18:15:14

Apparently homemakers never get a break.

How extremely outdated and misogynistic.

Summerlove Thu 26-Sep-19 18:17:47

Yes I saw you said “man or woman” as homemakers, but we all know what you meant.

Working outside the home doesn’t absolve one parent of house work or child care.

Hetty58 Thu 26-Sep-19 18:27:46

Sharon62, I noticed a change in personality when my late husband became ill. He was not himself, lost his lovely sense of humour and tended to blame me for all sorts of things. I think it had nothing to do with medication. It was just that he'd lost his health and along with it, his previous identity.