Gransnet forums

Chat

Anxiety

(39 Posts)
Flutterby1 Fri 04-Oct-19 16:45:31

I get the most awful pain/knot in my abdomen with Anxiety. Anyone else get this and how do you cope. Tha ks

MooM00 Sat 05-Oct-19 13:38:21

Flutterby1, you said you have tried medication and it didn't work, do you think you tried for long enough or asked your Doctor to try another one. My depression was really bad and I did try everything else. Self help books I must have had 50, Dr Weeks Self help with your nerves my first book given to me by a psychiatrist at the age of 16. CBT, Phychology, Meditation, Hypnotherapy, Reiki. i didn't find the answer in any of these things and I was baffled with it all. I now admit I don't make the happy chemicals in my brain so am happy to have that extra bit of help to top it up. Don't get me wrong I can still have bad days but as long as I am aware of them them that's ok too. I really wish you well.

Sweetness1 Sat 05-Oct-19 13:45:33

I too am having a terrible time with crippling anxiety. Trouble sleeping. When I do, I wake up to go into immediate anxiety again. Knot on chest, dizzy head, headache, shaky and constant need to move as can’t be still. Mine has coincided with retirement, family not needing me so much and lots of days/time to fill. Should be ‘my time’ but I don’t like it!

Sweetness1 Sat 05-Oct-19 13:52:38

MoMOO - could I ask what meds you take and the mg strength? I don’t seem to do well with them when I’ve tried so never get past a few days.. I also have tried every holistic thing I can think of to no avail.

MooM00 Sat 05-Oct-19 15:18:36

Hello Sweetness1, I take citalapram 40mg. I started on 20mg for a while and then it went up to 40mg. These work for me because they are for both anxiety and depression. You do have to give medication time at least a month, it does feel strange at first and get frustrated because we feel their not working but they do. Hope this helps you.

Flutterby1 Sat 05-Oct-19 15:32:36

MooMoo I had citalopran 20years ago unfortunately I had dreadful side effects that took a long time to subside. I guess we are all different. One size does not fit all. Wish it did. Xx

Hymnbook Sat 05-Oct-19 15:38:39

I have had depression for years. I am now having bouts of anxiety it does spoil things along with other health conditions. I make arrangements to go out meet people and when I cancel they don't understand that l'm not doing it on purpose with no good reason. I do hate the feelings it gives me. I've tried anti depressants cbt self help books mindfulness but the older l get the worse it gets. It doesn't help that l spend a lot of time alone. I'm retired and divorced. It's all a vicious circle.

Selsey99 Sat 05-Oct-19 18:37:26

Me too doodle wake up times on morning r the worst and have been for many years don't know what to do to stop them except try get out of bed quick quick

Tris68 Sat 05-Oct-19 20:26:39

I have meds for when my anxiety/panics are really bad but before I do "tapping" Look up EFT (emotional freedom technique) I went to a holistic fayre & someone showed it there. I'm quite a cynical person but it seems to work. You may have to repeat it a few times but it seems to be effective.

Shizam Sat 05-Oct-19 21:43:14

I out of nowhere started getting panic attacks aged 50. Driving, which I was always confident at, bridges even on foot, escalators. Was was weird and random. Have tried various tactics to conquer it. Mindfulness, CBT, anti depressants, which were useless. Just made my hands shake. The CBT was good, but an online course via NHS. So didn’t go far enough. Mindfulness is great, but makes me cry! Still searching for the best solution. Good luck finding yours.

Momilsom Sun 06-Oct-19 15:54:38

Dr.Claire Weekes book “Self help for your nerves” is great. I’ve found that it helps me

Flutterby1 Sun 06-Oct-19 19:38:51

Me again. Why is it that I can even get anxious making dinner or doing a simple task. I have been through an anxious time these last few months but really thought I should be over it now. Disappointed with these feelings which seem to come for no reason. Is it best to try and ignore (not easy) and carryon with task in hand. Your thought please. Thanks

SisterAct Sun 06-Oct-19 21:27:50

My DIL just been diagnosed with mild depression and anxiety. Not sure how to help but will continue to do my bit with GC. Any suggestions welcome.

naheed Wed 09-Oct-19 21:45:53

Medication didn't help me but meditation & mindfulness did wonders for me. There are a couple of excellent courses run by Monach University on Future Learn that are tremendous & cost you nothing. For me the Mindfulness part was the key to my root problems. Changing my philosophy of life to Mindfulness philosophy brought peace, tranquility, resilience & contentment for most of each & everyday since then. It's a way of thinking, doing and communicating with self & others. It's a life style that takes contineous practise throughout one's life. Best wishes to all who suffer from anxiety and depression.