Gransnet forums

Chat

Photo, please, of your favorite mug or teacup.

(78 Posts)
PageTurner Sun 13-Oct-19 20:20:26

As a follow-up to giulia's post "Tea in a pot with a teacosy, anyone?", I started thinking of all the favorite mugs I have had over the years. I still have only a few-mugs given to me or mugs I purchased on holidays.
Photo features the only teapot I have and two mugs that my DH and I use every day (mainly for coffee)
My mug is the Kahaldi Brothers & Salmon Sisters mug given to me by my son for Mother's Day. KB is a coffee shop and SS sells canned salmon and ladies clothes in their shops. Both businesses are in Alaska.
The Hakai Pass mug is my DH's cup. There is a fishing resort there that a good friend owned for many years. It is located on the west coast of Canada. A very beautiful location in a very beautiful country.
Do your favorite mugs bring back memories?
Love to see a photo if you can post it.

Irenelily Mon 14-Oct-19 10:54:38

Best Nana in the world mug - from my eldest grand daughter!!
That description fits us all - cheers!

angie95 Mon 14-Oct-19 10:55:49

This is my favourite mug, I do have a rabbit one and a cat, but this is definitely my favourite mug

giulia Mon 14-Oct-19 10:59:42

Sorry to be so backward but how does one put photos on Gransnet?

I asked because I wanted to post a photo of my Sandringham Palace tea cosy!

Any explanations will have to be in simple language as I am a very, very stupid person!

Thanks anyway.

Jaycee5 Mon 14-Oct-19 11:10:04

I'd like to have a matching set of fancy mugs but I have a random mixture of a John Lewis Christmas mug with robins on which is the one I use most. Not really sure why but it does have a slight slope which makes it a bit easier to clean than straight mugs. Two mugs that I bought as a donation to a charity I support which are basic mugs with writing on and a red mug that I won from McVities which has their name on it.

Craftycat Mon 14-Oct-19 11:13:26

Useless at photOgraphy but for tea a nice bone china one with poppies on it but coffee must be a LARGE mug with plenty of room for lots of frothy milk from the machine!!

Jaycee5 Mon 14-Oct-19 11:15:13

guila I can only post messages from my phone. If that is where you store photos, try clicking the Browse button under your poster and see if you can follow the steps. Or if there are icons, press the paperclip. If is asks 'Allow Edge to take pictures ... press Deny, then it should take you to your photos and you press the one you want to enter. My phone is turning photos sideways when I try to post things and I don't know why but hopefully your's will behave.

HannahLoisLuke Mon 14-Oct-19 11:16:21

Having used mugs for years I recently did afternoon tea for my girls and, not possessing a tea set any longer I toured the charity shops in search of a selection of mismatched pretty bone china cups and saucers. We all agreed how much nicer the tea tasted from a proper cup and I now mostly use my favourite from my charity shop buy.

Finnrock Mon 14-Oct-19 11:26:02

Collection of my Guns N Roses mugs

sarahellenwhitney Mon 14-Oct-19 11:45:15

I am put to shame viewing what other GN's use. I have a large' builder's' cup /mug that accommodates tea/coffee/all strengths and various cup a soups.It does get sterilized now and then but in spite of my numerous china collection cannot bring myself to use any thing else.

mrsHom Mon 14-Oct-19 11:53:33

I don't drink coffee, but tea has to be brewed in a pot and drunk out of a bone china cup (with saucer). Before I retired from teaching ten years ago, a child asked me what a saucer was! My mission is to rehabilitate the cup and saucer. No photo, but my cups are Royal Albert from charity shops and antique shops - sadly now in short supply. We have tea and scones regularly every afternoon at 3.30 - my friends think it's hilarious. ( They never refuse the scones though)

Missfoodlove Mon 14-Oct-19 12:08:47

His and hers by “ Heide O’Neill pottery Dingle.

Love my morning cuppa in this beautiful mug, made with Barry’s tea if I can get it!

GranEd Mon 14-Oct-19 12:19:40

Mine is the size of a small chamber pot (remember those?)
??

jenni123 Mon 14-Oct-19 12:37:00

My favourite mug at moment. It was bit difficult to hold when I first got it but I'm used to it now.

icanhandthemback Mon 14-Oct-19 13:10:16

When my son was 2, my sister went out with him to buy a mug from "Your little monster," for Mother's Day as my marriage had broken down when I was pregnant and his father had long since disappeared. He is now 28 and I still regularly drink from it. Mugs he has bought me since sit in their boxes waiting for the first one to break. I don't have favourite children but he is the one I have the closest relationship with and I know that any present I get from him has been very well considered although it is likely to arrive unwrapped!

Juliette Mon 14-Oct-19 13:18:12

I have my first coffee of the day in the Tracy Beaker mug , it narrows at the top so keeps the coffee hotter longer.

The schnauzer mug is the one I use for the rest of the day. It’s bone China so good for both tea and coffee.

Like others I get a bit anxious if DH makes a drink for visitors and he gives them my schnauzer mug.

glammanana Mon 14-Oct-19 13:22:12

Mine is a cute floral bone china mug bought for me by a collegue a few years ago,I don't allow anyone to use it or wash it (they have slippy hands in this house) I think other cups we have just don't work for me.Don't be surprised if pic does not appear the system is playing gremlins again hmm

glammanana Mon 14-Oct-19 13:24:28

Wow success smile

Mrsdof Mon 14-Oct-19 13:42:33

This is my all time favourite mug because it reminds me of my Welsh roots. When I was a child and spent most summers in the Rhondda Valley we always had a cwtch from my Auntie before bed. Brings back such lovely memories. smile

Musicgirl Mon 14-Oct-19 13:47:43

I'm with mrsHom. I like to treat myself to tea in a cup and saucer, preferably loose leaf tea from a pot. Otherwise tea has to be in a bone china mug or it does not taste right. I don't like coffee in too thick a mug either. The first drink of the day has to be tea and, as others have said, l, too, feel miffed if someone else is given my special mug.

giulia Mon 14-Oct-19 13:48:48

MrsHom Please may I come for tea at your house?

Haven't made scones in years. As I have just acquired proper cheddar cheese from my butcher (it's really hard to find in Italy and costs E32/kg!), I think I'll have a go at making fome cheese scones today.

giulia Mon 14-Oct-19 13:49:19

...some cheese scones...grrr!

Diggingdoris Mon 14-Oct-19 14:25:32

Bone China for me every time. Can't bear thick mugs as they hold the heat. I don't like tea or coffee too hot so the thin BC helps it cool to just the right temperature for me.

lizzypopbottle Mon 14-Oct-19 15:05:43

My favourite mug holds my first coffee of the day. It's from the Jamie at Home 'Rimple' range. It's pretty big but I only full it two thirds full. I hope the photo comes out the right way up or the contents will spill!

Septimia Mon 14-Oct-19 15:12:01

DH and I have Chinese mugs (from one of the Chinese supermarkets in Newcastle). They come with a strainer bit that we don't use, but also with a lid which keeps my morning cuppa nice and warm while I eat my breakfast!

grandtanteJE65 Mon 14-Oct-19 16:14:35

We have Royal Copenhagen mugs, but I prefer a cup and saucer, so I use the new Royal Copenhagen cup most of the year.

From my birthday at the end of November until Twelfth Night I use the Christmas cup and saucer that was a birthday present from DH two years ago.