Gransnet forums

Chat

Photo, please, of your favorite mug or teacup.

(77 Posts)
PageTurner Sun 13-Oct-19 20:20:26

As a follow-up to giulia's post "Tea in a pot with a teacosy, anyone?", I started thinking of all the favorite mugs I have had over the years. I still have only a few-mugs given to me or mugs I purchased on holidays.
Photo features the only teapot I have and two mugs that my DH and I use every day (mainly for coffee)
My mug is the Kahaldi Brothers & Salmon Sisters mug given to me by my son for Mother's Day. KB is a coffee shop and SS sells canned salmon and ladies clothes in their shops. Both businesses are in Alaska.
The Hakai Pass mug is my DH's cup. There is a fishing resort there that a good friend owned for many years. It is located on the west coast of Canada. A very beautiful location in a very beautiful country.
Do your favorite mugs bring back memories?
Love to see a photo if you can post it.

Grammaretto Sun 13-Oct-19 21:01:12

My go-to morning mug was made by Hannah McAndrew
It's slip trailed earthenware fired in a wood fired kiln in Dumfriesshire.
madebyhandonline.com/collections/hannah-mcandrew

MamaCaz Sun 13-Oct-19 22:00:09

I find that both tea and coffee taste different depending which mug I drink them from, and over the years I've realised that it's down to, firstly, the thickness of a mug - I don't like chunky ones - and secondly, the size - I don't like very big mugs.
Then narrowing it down further, both tea and coffee seem to taste better out of some colours than others, so I have a favourite tea mug (plain white), and a favourite coffee mug (blue and white stripes) I also have a yellow one that coffee tastes good out of . grin

Because of this, my go-to mugs are not those that were chosen because they were pretty, but quite plain ones.

Not that any last for long. The only job in the house that OH does on a regular basis is the washing-up, but let's just say that he is quite heavy-handed.

LondonGranny Sun 13-Oct-19 22:29:34

Have realised I dunno where my camera is since we came back from York (I remember unpacking it though) so you'll have to have one swiped off google.
For tea out of the teapot, several times a day, whether Assam, Darjeeling or Oolong, a Johnson Bros Denmark cup and saucer. My teapot is completely different though.

For a blast of caffeine first thing (filter paper in plastic thingy over mug with Lavazza ground coffee) I have a mug in the same pattern.

The Johnson Bros belonged to a friend who loved this pattern and after she died when I was asked if I wanted any mementos I chose a mug, cup, saucer and side plate. The teapot was already spoken for but I use a teacosy on my different favourite daily teapot anyway so I can only see the handle and spout.

DH has completely different favourite crockery. He finds cups & saucers a faff (he's blind) but his favourite is the last survivor of a set of mugs we got years ago from Woolies. It's just a plain red mug.
If I'm gardening I use an insulated mug a colleague gave me one Christmas ages ago.

annep1 Sun 13-Oct-19 23:10:22

I don't really have a favourite but I quite like this one as the handle is good. From a Belleek set - a present. On top of current book.

MawB Sun 13-Oct-19 23:13:59

Like Mamacaz I find things taste different from different cups or mugs. I am quite picky about which one I have and if anybody makes me a cuppa in my own house, they frequently get it wrong!
Pics to follow tomorrow perhaps.

DoraMarr Sun 13-Oct-19 23:16:12

Well, this is mine. My partner gave it to me years ago. I remarked on the lovely sentiment recently, and he said he didn’t realise it had any writing on it. I have to have my first cup of tea in it, and get quite itchy if a visitor uses it. Mad. And I haven’t got a cat.

Bellanonna Sun 13-Oct-19 23:48:28

That made me laugh DoraMarr!

Pantglas2 Mon 14-Oct-19 06:34:09

Aargh - I’m on holiday in Greece so can’t take a picture of my morning chamber pot of tea - always in bed and it sets me up for the day. Any later brews are always in a bone China mug but am happy to drink out of anything in someone else’s home.

BlueSapphire Mon 14-Oct-19 06:55:34

Here is my new favourite, I bought it in Stockholm on my cruise this year. I love Blue Denmark china, Londongranny and have a breakfast set in it.

nonnasusie Mon 14-Oct-19 07:02:36

Just finishing my morning cuppa in my favourite mug . A gift from my son !

nonnasusie Mon 14-Oct-19 07:08:09

This is another favourite ,also a gift from my son. This was for my 70th birthday last year. He had a cake made with a collage of old photos and had the mug done as well!!

ninathenana Mon 14-Oct-19 07:35:43

I drink both tea an coffee from this

lemongrove Mon 14-Oct-19 07:52:28

My DD bought this large cup and saucer for me, it’s my first cup of tea in the morning.?

NannyJan53 Mon 14-Oct-19 07:57:13

My Manager bought everyone a Mug like this one Christmas. I have my morning coffee in it.

chloe1984 Mon 14-Oct-19 08:20:21

This was in my Christmas stocking around 45 years ago , it’s scratched and the colour is fading somewhat but I love it and use it each day. It has been dropped several times but has remained in tact and I am irrationally fond of it.

DanniRae Mon 14-Oct-19 08:22:05

I have only just realised that I always have my first cup of tea in the same mug and the rest of the day I don't mind which mug I am given or use. And yes I feel aggrieved if a visitor is given my 'morning mug'.
My daughter bought it for me and I have just checked - it is from Waitrose and has drawings of beach huts on it. However, I will change this mug for a more wintery/Christmassy mug any day soon and she bought me that one too.
Oh dear, I have just read this back and fear I sound a little crazy confused grin
(Sorry don't know how to put a photo on here!)

DanniRae Mon 14-Oct-19 08:25:48

Forgot to say that other mugs that have been favourites, but are chipped, are dotted around he place with pens etc in as can't throw them away. Yep, definitely a little bit crazy!! grin

SirChenjin Mon 14-Oct-19 08:49:25

Here’s mine - a lovely, thick mug that keeps my drink warm for ages. I love the shape of it and the sketches of the dragonflies (or are they damselflies?). No other mug will suffice.

MawB Mon 14-Oct-19 09:15:08

This is a special favourite - one of four which were a birthday present a few years ago from a dear friend and (incredibly given the amount of use they get) still unchipped!
Tempting fate? ??? Hope not.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 14-Oct-19 09:26:21

Mum mug for coffee and Grandma bone China one for tea

shysal Mon 14-Oct-19 09:49:25

I only ever drink tap water, so my favourite is a freebie Coke glass, which is years old. I keep it on the side in the living room and refill it at intervals throughout the day. I have two so the other lives in the kitchen on the draining rack for top-ups when I am in there.

jaylucy Mon 14-Oct-19 10:01:19

I thought it was just me that thinks tea tastes better in one certain mug - I even have favorite mugs to coffee and hot chocolate!

TheReadingRoom Mon 14-Oct-19 10:30:04

I collect coffee mugs so have plenty to choose from smile But my all time favourite is from my Ozzie grandson - and hoping I get a similar one this Christmas from his little sister.

Forestflame Mon 14-Oct-19 10:39:06

DannieRay
Same here?