Gransnet forums

Chat

what wouldnt you wear?

(109 Posts)
petunia Wed 16-Oct-19 11:35:25

Is there anything you wouldn't wear-for any reason?

I'll give you my example.

I recently spotted a lovely, cosy padded jacket in a gorgeous purple velvet. They had my size. Should I or shouldn't I? Could I justify adding it to my wardrobe? Where would I wear it? These thoughts rushed through my head but I dismissed them all. I loved the colour, it was warm and super cosy. Its felt divine. I took out my bank card, went to complete the purchase.

Then the thought hit me. If I wore this jacket, (I'm fairly well endowed in the bosom department by the way) I would look like a blueberry on legs. So I didn't buy the jacket.

Stella14 Thu 17-Oct-19 11:30:42

I wear what I love. I have got rid of anything I bought that was a mistake. I rarely wear black. I love colour. I really don’t like black, but I do wear sleeveless in the Summer because it’s cooler and I’m more comfortable (what does it matter what another person might think of my arms?). I no longer wear anything too plunging. A little cleavage is fine, but a little modesty is best as I have got older - the same applies with short skirts IMO.

Alison333 Thu 17-Oct-19 11:55:32

Like many people, I would never wear real fur. Animal printed fabrics bother me too - even fake snakeskin or crocodile yuk! I know they're fashionable but they're not for me!

Forestflame Thu 17-Oct-19 12:03:08

Sleeveless. My arms are quite chunky at the top, probably due to the campanology I have done over the years!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 17-Oct-19 12:03:29

There are quite a lot of things which I won't wear. I'm also short and top heavy which requires careful thought as to what suits.
Asymmetrical or handkerchief hemlines, crop-tops or trousers, gypsy blouses and tiered skirts, cold shoulders, bomber jackets, basically anything which makes me look like an old hippy.
Remember those short denim jackets which were all the rage in the 70s and regularly come back into fashion? We so aspired to them in our teens but I wouldn't wear one now. Very long flowing scarves which I'd be afraid of getting caught in a door and strangling myself - though they look so elegant on tall ladies.
I'd never wear a cape of any tkind - I've read that you can be attacked and held down by the cape - so they're a definite no-no.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 17-Oct-19 12:17:08

I wish I could wear etc etc when observing what is available. Age,not stature,dictates where I would see myself mutton dressed as lamb.

Millie22 Thu 17-Oct-19 12:23:43

Joggy bottoms...they only look good on teenagers
Polo neck jumpers
Flat lace up old lady shoes

Busbybag1 Thu 17-Oct-19 13:08:54

Anything with a belt on.

Shalene777 Thu 17-Oct-19 13:12:51

I would never, ever wear a mini skirt/short dress. I have the most horrendous legs, they are fat and have no shape. My legs are so ugly that when I was in my early 20's my dad would tease me and say Agecroft colliery had been on the phone and they wanted their it props back! Get past my knees and they look fine smile

Jaxie Thu 17-Oct-19 13:22:41

Bare shoulder tops: ok for the young and slim but overweight oldies with tattoos flaunting those daft sleeves with holes, Nooooo.

Jaxie Thu 17-Oct-19 13:23:30

PS: I'm not an overweight oldie with tattoos, although I have no waist to speak of.

Rosina Thu 17-Oct-19 13:43:40

High heels. I stagger about like Dick Emery
Anything shiny (I saw a beautiful, elegant cream satin top which made me look like an iceberg)
Sleeveless clothes
Patterns - make me look like a armchair with a loose cover.

Rosina Thu 17-Oct-19 13:44:37

AN armchair - oh my typing.

Canalboatgranma Thu 17-Oct-19 13:58:06

Chestnut, I saw the link and now I have bought a pair of boots from Hotter!!

Esspee Thu 17-Oct-19 14:01:07

Crocs, leggings and tights, pyjamas/nighties, short skirts, beige..........

Hellsbelles Thu 17-Oct-19 14:06:07

I wouldn't wear shorts anywhere except for gardening in my back garden.
Don't wear high heels anymore.
Don't wear low , cleavage showing tips .

missdeke Thu 17-Oct-19 14:12:19

Ankle grazer trousers!! They look like the wrong leg length has been bought! The most unattractive look in my opinion, either full length or 3/4 length looks better.

NanKate Thu 17-Oct-19 14:47:32

Thanks Chestnut they look great.?

LondonGranny Thu 17-Oct-19 14:47:40

My big clothing mistakes were all made before I had kids, thankfully. I tried to wear fashionable things whether or not I felt confident or comfortable. By the time I'd had children my first thought was will it machine wash? Does it have pockets? Is it comfortable? Can I move, stretch and pick up a wriggling toddler while wearing it?
By the time I was in my mid-forties I'd found my style and I just stick to it. I feel comfortable and confident. The acid test is whether my youngest son compliments me (he's usually pretty unobservant). I don't wear patterns except for scarves. When I die I expect my scarves will become known as The Southwark Scarf Hoard and be exhibited in the Museum of London!

LondonGranny Thu 17-Oct-19 14:52:30

Correction. I have one dress that could be described as patterned. It has a beautifully embroidered yoke. It didn't when I bought it but I found a lovely piece of embroidery on blue linen in a charity shop that had clearly once been part of a dress so I stiched it onto a turquoise dress and it looks lovely.

MissAdventure Thu 17-Oct-19 14:56:29

Rosina grin

mothertrucker52 Thu 17-Oct-19 15:03:11

Crocs, elasticated waists, bows at the neck or anything beige grin

annodomini Thu 17-Oct-19 15:39:47

High heels - they give me backache
Sleeveless tops - bingo wings
Pussy-cat bows - think Thatcher!

sarahanew Thu 17-Oct-19 16:07:23

If I'm in doubt whether to buy something or not, I would leave it and then if I find myself still thinking about it and wishing I had got it, I go back to the store at a later date and if its still there I'm meant to have it. More often than not I end up happy I've not wasted my money

Daisyboots Thu 17-Oct-19 16:28:01

Jaxie oh how I agree with you. Those cold shoulder tops must be one of the worst fashions ever especially as every outsize fashion shop seems to sell them.

Davida1968 Thu 17-Oct-19 16:28:06

Good grief!! It seems to me that some GNs posting here are being somewhat "judgemental" about what they think other people shouldn't wear...... (The poster - petunia - asks simply: "Is there anything you wouldn't wear - for any reason?")