Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Sunday

(58 Posts)
Beechnut Sun 27-Oct-19 07:26:46

Anyone up?

Newquay Sun 27-Oct-19 08:34:03

Sunny but cold here in Staffs. Went to Lichfield yesterday-lots of lying water-to meet up with long lost half sister of DH. V happy visit. Did 2 loads of washing last night. Think might take it to local launderette to use dryer while at Church! Lol!

GabriellaG54 Sun 27-Oct-19 08:36:14

I'm off to Grayshott Spa for a day of pampering with my OH, his treat.
It's a clear, brisk, still day here in Godalming so I went for a walk, alone at 5 am-ish. Absolutely no noise whatsoever, perfect peace - it was lovely.
I saw a squirrel and a fox and sat by the canal with a thermos of hot choc and 2 digestive biscuits. I love life no matter the weather or season.
I recently took some photos of a bird wheeling in the sky as seen through patterns of leaves and bare branches, one of which won a competition. I will spend the voucher on a new printer.
I'm off now to eat some pancakes and fruit, meantime sending my best wishes to Gillybob, Marydoll, dragonfly42 and other GNers who are dealing with the difficulties of medication, illness, family worries or none
May you all have the best Sunday possible and keep warm.
??

GrannyGravy13 Sun 27-Oct-19 08:46:29

Good morning all x

I hope Mick is enjoying his mystery break.

Marydoll take care of yourself.

Dragonfly take things slowly, chemotherapy treatment can suddenly knock you for six, rest when you can.

Kittylester snap we have roast pork complete with crackling and all the “trimmings”

Wishing you all a serene Sunday.

gillybobs sending love and prayers for you both

gillybob Sun 27-Oct-19 08:46:44

Good morning from the NE coast.

Well yesterday was a crazy day with happiness and sadness in equal measures . Firstly I was approached by one of the doctors to say that they were switching off the LS to the lady in the next pod. She was only 50 years old. They said that they would allow her family to all come in and so it might be very traumatic . They offered me a set of headphones which I refused . So sad and I need not tell you the thoughts that were running through my head. I have sat and waited, shared life stories and cried with this ladies family over the last few weeks.

Then less than an hour later ......

The doctors made the decision to remove my DH’s ventilator. Now this has been tried before (hence my apprehension) but was put back within hours as he was unable to breathe unaided.
They had their usual pow-wow around the bed and then the curtains went round and one of the doctors said “we are going to extubate, now” then as in what seemed a split second the tube was removed . I didn’t watch the last time and didn’t get the chance to think about it this time which was probably for the best.

He managed for the rest of yesterday (until I left at 1am) with oxygen through a high pressure full face mask and light sedation but I didn’t get a call overnight and I decided not to ring the ward early this morning as I usually do, so I am just hoping and praying that he managed during the night.

He had no voice yesterday and was unable to swallow or cough when I left but I am told this can happen after being on life support for so long . Apparently he will need extensive physio and support from the SaLT people (speech and language therapy) . The infection is still in his chest which I don’t really understand and they will restart some antibiotics today . He is so weak and has lost a huge amount of weight too, poor man.

I have been reading about the long term psychological effects of being on LS and they liken it to PTSD although there is no support available on the NHS .

Just hoping to get some more good news today that he has managed with the oxygen and hasn’t needed too much sedation over night.

Forgive me for not sounding very positive but I have been here once before already. Just taking every minute as it comes and waiting to see what today brings .

I can’t tell you how much your messages of support and encouragement are getting me through this . The worst time in my life . Thank you all , so very much .

I do hope those who are feeling down, or poorly feel better soon, as The ICU nurses keep saying to me, tomorrow is another day.

To those enjoying happy times I hope they last forever sunshine

RIP Angela

Gilly x

ninathenana Sun 27-Oct-19 08:48:08

Morning everyone.

The sun is trying to break through in Kent.
Haven't posted on this thread for a couple of days. I assume Mick is on one of his jaunts.
Waiting with my first cuppa for the rugby to start. Then just pottering.
Good wishes to all who need them.

GabriellaG54 Sun 27-Oct-19 08:49:55

Oops! should be dragonfly46 ?

vena11 Sun 27-Oct-19 08:52:54

Good morning from a bright and sunny Bristol, what a difference from yesterday.
Not much planned today just a bit of packing for our trip to Tenerife on Tuesday to celebrate my brothers 70 birthday, DB DSI DS and DBI are flying from Glasgow and we are all meeting there for a week, it will be lovely, hopefully things will run smoothly after our first booking went belly up with Thomas Cook .
marydoll take it easy dragonfly hope you are feeling not to bad after your first Chemo, its not a nice thing to go through.
I hope everyone else has a restful day

merlotgran Sun 27-Oct-19 08:55:47

Stay strong, gilly.

Thinking of you.

vena11 Sun 27-Oct-19 08:56:23

Thinking of you gillybob flowers

GabriellaG54 Sun 27-Oct-19 08:57:53

Generous with your thoughts for others, even in your time of trouble, Gillybob to
As always, my respect. ?

kittylester Sun 27-Oct-19 08:58:06

Thank you for the update gilly. As you say a day of mixed emotions. I hope dh is doing well when you get to the hospital.

GabriellaG54 Sun 27-Oct-19 08:58:15

to

Beechnut Sun 27-Oct-19 08:58:51

Oh gilly what a day yesterday for you both. I think of you often throughout the day lots of love and a big hug x

dragonfly46 Sun 27-Oct-19 08:59:58

Ha ha Gabriella you are making me older than I am!

That sounds like better news Gilly - no phone call in the night or early morning has to be good. Is there an association which can help with PTSD? Macmillan offer counselling for cancer patients and I am sure there is a need for it as so many people suffer from it.

ginny Sun 27-Oct-19 09:04:02

Gilly, hope you have good news today. Thinking of you. X

Yiayia4 Sun 27-Oct-19 09:06:30

Good Morning all a bright sunny day here.

GSs having full english this morning very busy cafe here

Love and healing thoughts Gilly keep strong xx

Lisagran Sun 27-Oct-19 09:08:04

Oh, Gillybob that sounds such a traumatic day for you - but some positives. Hope your husband continues to do well today. Thinking of you xx

Urmstongran Sun 27-Oct-19 09:11:06

A late good morning from a gloriously sunny South Manchester. We slept in until 8am (9am in old money ha! I do this for a day or two when the clocks change!). My husband is making his signature dish of chilli (he puts in red wine, mushrooms and extra garlic) and he brought me a cuppa in bed with my iPad. I don’t even need to be sous chef. I’m going to watch Andrew Marr in bed ...

Daughter and son in law are taking the smalls to Blackpool zoo for the day - gorgeous weather for last day of half term!
We’ve invited my father over to eat with us so husband will drop some chilli off for the zoo visitors on the way to pick him up. Nice for them to have a meal ready for this evening after they’ve bathed the children.

We 3 will go to the pub first ‘for one’ then up here to eat. A very relaxing day for ME anyway.

Gillybob I think this might tentatively be the beginning of good news for you and your family. I truly hope so. You seem such a nice person. Fingers crossed for continued progress ?

Hope Sunday is good to us all whether we have plans or none. x

P.s. welcome to you JanaNana if you are a newbie it’s nice to have you join us.
?

Harris27 Sun 27-Oct-19 09:22:16

Thinking of you gillybob what a time your having x thinking of you. Went to bed early again and counting my days to my stone op hope I get there the pain is quite bad and I still have 12 day’s to go. The painkillers are helping it making me feel sick better when I lie flat so early night planned. Love to all today.

Sprout Sun 27-Oct-19 09:24:40

Good morning MICK and all. Sunny here in Essex by the sea. Getting used to my new environment but miss my family daily. All though only down the 127 it's not the same as seeing them every day. Hope all is well with you all and those feeling poorly get better soon and spend another hour in bed.

BlueSapphire Sun 27-Oct-19 09:26:10

Oh dear, I am having to write this all over again, as my finger slipped and the whole post disappeared!

Good morning all from a bright and sunny Northampton. I did indeed get very wet and cold at the rugby yesterday and had to change into dry clothes the minute I got home. But it was worth it as we came away with a handsome win. Settled down to watch the recording of the England match and realised that I'd only recorded the build-up - didn't realise that that and the actual match were two separate programmes! And I couldn't get it on catch-up.

Nothing planned for today, will just catch up with the weekend papers and do the puzzle pages, and read my library book. Waiting in for my new vacuum cleaner to be delivered.

Hope that Gilly's DH has had a good night and not needed the ventilator. Marydoll, hope you take it easier today. My best wishes to all with worries and troubles and trust that today eases them.

Mythbirtthedragon Sun 27-Oct-19 09:35:09

Good morning from east London, bright and sunny here and wind has dropped. More clearing up to be done in the house then off to a local pub this afternoon where a group a friend sings with are celebrating their 10th anniversary. Have a good day.

Mapleleaf Sun 27-Oct-19 10:14:01

Good morning from a bright and slightly breezy South Yorkshire.

Hope you all remembered to put your clocks back.

gilly thinking of you and your DH, and pray that today is the start of your husband getting better. The collective best wishes and kind thoughts of all GN's on this thread continue to wing their way to you. ?

Yes, I hope mick had a good trip yesterday and didn't get too wet. The fields near us flooded onto the road yesterday, and the river has burst it's banks near our town. Here's hoping it will start to recede in this drier weather.

Best wishes for a good Sunday, and to all feeling unwell, sad or worried, I send you kind thoughts.

namaste Sun 27-Oct-19 10:30:50

Morning all well I did not benefit from that extra hr was awake at the time if I was going to work, just had a nice breakfast coffee quick check on this site then off for a woodland walk enjoy this dry weather a nice roast on my return
Have a good day all ?

Hymnbook Sun 27-Oct-19 10:37:24

Morning everyone. What a beautiful morning. Sunny and dry. Long may it continue. Didn't sleep well last night. Sausage casserole in the slow cooker overnight. No plans for today. Another lonely Sunday. Hope everyone has a good day.