Gransnet forums

Chat

Own up ! Do you do this ?

(86 Posts)
Gemini1789 Thu 31-Oct-19 19:04:05

How many people will own up to being nasty under the cloak of anonymity ?
Are you just as pleasant and polite on here as I am sure you are in real life ?

leyla Thu 31-Oct-19 19:07:17

I try always to be pleasant and constructive. I think it's better to say nothing than to say something sharp as you never know how much sharp words might wound.

cornergran Thu 31-Oct-19 19:13:34

I try to be and hold a concern that the intent of the written word can be misinterpreted.

BBbevan Thu 31-Oct-19 19:16:43

I have never,yet, been purposely nasty, in any aspect of my life. And if I unwittingly upset anyone ,I would apologise. I think people who are anonymous and nasty are cowards

Nortsat46 Thu 31-Oct-19 19:18:37

No, I don’t do this.
I especially don’t like colleagues who send sharp/aggressive/snarky emails, when there is no need for such tone.
I really try to be pleasant and polite to everyone.
Equally I don’t like the tone of some of the GN threads, especially the political ones, so I avoid them.

Greenfinch Thu 31-Oct-19 20:16:33

I don't feel anonymous. I know at least ten Gransnetters having been to a variety of meetups over the years. I am just the same here as in real life.

grannyticktock Thu 31-Oct-19 20:18:46

I think maybe I am nicer online than I am in RL ! I certainly think I come across as more reasoned and sensible, as I have time to frame my thoughts.

FlexibleFriend Thu 31-Oct-19 20:20:01

Probably nicer on here, so no I won't own up to being nasty anonymously.

NfkDumpling Thu 31-Oct-19 20:24:17

But are you anonymous? I know I’ve been ‘outed’. And no, I’m not any nastier on line than I am in real life. Why be hurtful?

Coolgran65 Thu 31-Oct-19 20:31:03

I think I am myself on GN. At all times in real life I do try to be friendly and helpful tho I can and do stick up for myself.

I’m 70 and told I look younger. Possibly helps that I do have thick hair and a funky cut. However, I’d guess that I’m not as funky as I fancy myself to be. Especially getting a helping hand on steep steps etc. smile

GrannyGravy13 Thu 31-Oct-19 20:38:36

I always try to be fair and understanding even with those who have opposing views. I cannot understand people who are intentionally rude or argumentative.

I am not anonymous, as have met up with several Essex Grannies.

Anniebach Thu 31-Oct-19 20:47:05

Same here

cornergran Thu 31-Oct-19 20:47:25

Good point. I’m also not anonymous and imagine that is true for many of us.

phoenix Thu 31-Oct-19 20:57:03

Not at all sure about the tone/meaning of the OP!

Jane10 Thu 31-Oct-19 21:03:59

I'm not anonymous. Sometimes I'm sufficiently irritated by a post/poster to write a nippy response. Probably because I'm human!

Grammaretto Thu 31-Oct-19 21:23:25

I am not anonymous on here as I have been to several meet ups. But I would hope I would never be deliberately nasty.

aggie Thu 31-Oct-19 21:53:54

I never say anything that I couldn't say to someones face , I don't think I am nasty , but I do believe in being honest

BlueBelle Thu 31-Oct-19 22:03:55

aggie I d say the same I wouldn’t say anything here that I wouldn’t say in normal life
I can’t butter up though I do say what I feel but never ever been knowingly nasty

Gonegirl Thu 31-Oct-19 22:06:15

I don't understand the OP.

What are we supposed to be owning up to? Being nasty? Or being nice? confused

BradfordLass72 Thu 31-Oct-19 22:10:48

I am pretty much the same online and in real life. I'm usually even tempered and tolerant but I can certainly be sharp if I think the situation warrants it.

Yesterday, for instance, a friend of mine (64) almost tripped

She's a very big lady and walks with a stick. Several people went towards her to assist as she said, 'I really don't want to fall, I find it so hard to get up.'

One guy (I confess, I don't like him) said, 'It'd take a crane to get you up!' laughing as if this is a joke.

I snapped at him, 'Don't be so bloody rude!' and the whole room fell silent.

I know those present would have preferred me to keep my big trap shut but even had she been a complete stranger, I would have defended agains such rudeness.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 31-Oct-19 22:11:12

I think the OP is Father Christmas and they are vetting us for the naughty or nice list ???

Gonegirl Thu 31-Oct-19 22:12:54

Well done BradfordLass. I like that. smile

lemongrove Thu 31-Oct-19 22:14:28

I’m not anonymous either having met lots of GNers, even had holidays with them as well as coffee meet ups and meals out.
Am much the same in RL as on here, can do robust when needed but only on political and news threads.Generally I prefer to keep things light.?

lemongrove Thu 31-Oct-19 22:16:29

YesGG13 ....I think you could be right, and I want lots of presents this year as I have been amazingly good and patient when on threads here.?

Bridgeit Thu 31-Oct-19 22:31:28

The thing is one posters nasty can be another posters normal.
So it’s possible to be offended when no offence was intended. Or cause offence when none was intended .
We don’t have the benefit of reading body language or hearing tone of voice , but on saying that the meaning of the written can be very clear indeed. ... ..