Gransnet forums

Chat

What does 'a teacher' look like?

(82 Posts)
MamaCaz Mon 11-Nov-19 09:29:28

I've been told on several occasions that I "look like a teacher", twice by total strangers on public transport (though one was drunk and the other clearly had learning difficulties.

I don't think it's meant as a compliment, but it always makes me wonder what a teacher supposedly looks like and what bit of me ticks that box!

Have any of you ever been told that you look like you have a particular job/profession?

Hetty58 Mon 11-Nov-19 12:47:11

Forgot to say that I was a teacher AND a mother of four at the same time. Perhaps the lack of sleep contributed to the look!

Lilylaundry Mon 11-Nov-19 12:56:06

I have been told I look like a nurse. How wrong they are.

In the 1950s I did a six week's first aid course with St John's Ambulance Brigade. Got my certificate, grey frock and bonny hat. A friend at school thought I was very, very, clever as I would be able to tell the difference between a dead person and someone who had fainted.

I never got my free trip to the cinema, wearing my grey frock and hat, in my first aider capacity. I always refused when asked in case someone fainted or died - I wouldn't have known the difference.

Guineagirl Mon 11-Nov-19 12:58:09

MamaCaz I think there are worse things to be likened to. I got asked if I was a Consultant at the hospital don’t know why I looked a mess at the time, I liked the comparison though lol

DotMH1901 Mon 11-Nov-19 13:02:59

When I lived in Dover I spent a lot of my spare time in the local library carrying out genealogical research (I was a volunteer for the Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness site). I lost count of the number of times people stopped and asked me questions about where stuff was in the Local Studies area. My daughter said it was my own fault because I usually knew where the item was that they were looking for! One of the paid librarians mentioned to me once that a lady had been in asking for 'that nice lady with the blue glasses that works in Local Studies' and they were baffled as none of the staff wore blue glasses! Now I am retired I would love to work part time in a Library but staff have been cut to the minimum so no opportunity where I live now

BBbevan Mon 11-Nov-19 13:06:57

I was a teacher. When I went, for the first time ,to the school where I volunteer, they thought I was an Ofsted inspector. I don't know what to make of that !!

okimherenow Mon 11-Nov-19 13:20:57

It's your shoes ladies
Comfort first and last..

AlisonKF Mon 11-Nov-19 13:33:29

Yes, I was one as well. It takes a long time to resist the urge to tell people things, they maybe didn't want to know. Teachers are information junkies and love imparting it to others. It's not the appearance, it's the manner which gives you away, I think.

annodomini Mon 11-Nov-19 13:35:20

I sometimes amend my description to'lecturer' which is what they called us in Further Education. I was teaching much the same things as I would have taught in a comp.

EllieB52 Mon 11-Nov-19 13:40:24

We’re all teachers really aren’t we? I’m still trying to train my OH!

hicaz46 Mon 11-Nov-19 13:44:31

People often ask if I was a teacher. I wasn’t but because I am a good organiser and can happily stand up and address up to 200 people people think I was before retirement.

Fernbergien Mon 11-Nov-19 13:47:14

I have been asked many times if I was French! I found out along the way that I had recent French ancestors so there must be something in my looks.

Riggie Mon 11-Nov-19 14:13:02

I was once told I looked like a vegetarian. I am not and I have no idea what a vegetarian looks like!!
Again I dont think it was a compliment

mamaa Mon 11-Nov-19 14:27:08

I was a Deputy Headteacher in a primary school until I retired 2 years ago. I don't think there is an actual teacher 'look' as no two of my colleagues were ever similar in appearance at any of the schools I worked in. The stereotype sensibly shod/glasses on end of nose/ hair in a bun image of female teachers only exists in fiction, in my experience, but it is how many teachers are still thought of! grin

Newquay Mon 11-Nov-19 14:43:23

I’m often mistaken for a teacher-I think it’s just my naturally -bossy-organising manner

Mythbirtthedragon Mon 11-Nov-19 14:44:41

DP and I used to get asked regularly at parents evenings if we were teachers by the teachers themselves (both of us worked in public authority jobs). One of the reasons was that we ‘did’ things with our children which made me wonder if one of them had been moaning about being made to go walking at the weekend and on holiday. I was also mistaken for a school inspector who’d come to check on a trainee teacher who was struggling. I quickly stopped the headteacher once I realised where he was going and explained I was just there to look over the school as I was thinking of sending my son there. I did have my work clothes on which may have confused him. He was mortified but I did wonder who was going to ‘get it’ for not clarifying which visitor was sitting in his office.

Millie22 Mon 11-Nov-19 14:49:05

I was once approached by someone thinking I was an estate agent. Not sure why.

Phloembundle Mon 11-Nov-19 14:53:26

I am a retired nurse who has been told several times that I look like a matron, but only when my hair is tied back and with my specs on.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 11-Nov-19 15:05:30

No, it may well not have been a compliment! Speaking as a retired teacher, we are often supposed to be bossy, slightly priggish, fussy, have little or no fashion sense and wear glasses.

I have never met a teacher who looked like the description I have just quoted. Some people apply it to librarians as well, where in my experience it is just as out of place.

Next time someone asks if you are a teacher, ask them why they thought so. It would be quite nice to hear the reasons.

grannybuy Mon 11-Nov-19 15:09:10

I was a teacher, and people often guessed, but I think it was how I spoke and ' behaved ' that was the giveaway, not what I wore.

Callistemon Mon 11-Nov-19 15:10:45

Ex teachers are often to be found running the U3A and other such organisations.

I'm not sure if it's a certain look or perhaps a tendency to organise people.
Many of my friends and acquaintances were teachers!

Magpie1959 Mon 11-Nov-19 15:12:20

I was once told I looked like a sexy secretary - he then went on to ask if I would take my specs off with a flourish whilst unclipping and flicking my long hair!!
Kinky devil.

Callistemon Mon 11-Nov-19 15:13:01

it's your shoes ladies
hmm
One HT I know manages to walk around all day in very high heels which I've never managed.

GagaJo Mon 11-Nov-19 15:33:51

Haggard, most of the time. I look like hell during term time and then gradually regain 'me' in the holidays.

seadragon Mon 11-Nov-19 15:39:31

I was walking through a busy hospital concourse on my first day in my first professional post wearing a beautiful new calf length summer dress with buttons down the back like one my mum had. I felt on top of the world! Someone came up to me and asked me if I was a Social Worker!! I was..... No briefcase or diary under my arm. No idea what gave me way..on my first day too... Years later I stopped outside my sister's house intending to pop in for a wee lunch break when someone came up and asked the same question. My husband said the half decent car, second hand clothes and diary in hand gave me away that time!

GreenGran78 Mon 11-Nov-19 15:46:10

Marydoll. I totally agree. I have several friends who are retired teachers. Being a quiet type, myself, I'm lucky to be able to put in even a penn'orth, never mind my twopenn'orth!