Gransnet forums

Chat

Environment and 'Ok Boomer'

(163 Posts)
WeekendVisit Thu 28-Nov-19 13:59:35

There appears to be increasing substantial bad relations between generations on social media, generation Y seem to blame Brexit, high housing costs,the high care and pension tax burden, the environmental and financial difficulties on the W - Baby boomer generation rather than the older V generation. There is also an increasing appetite for associated death for the elderly amongst the younger generation.

Do you find this situation happening in real life or is it mainstream and social media lead during a time of reduced resources?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/nov/27/climate-emergency-world-may-have-crossed-tipping-points

Doodledog Sun 01-Dec-19 14:31:24

Well, I still don't know how you know that some degrees are 'second rate'.

I have worked in FE, and also in 'post-92' and Russell group Universities, and I know first hand that standards are maintained by rigorous Approval procedures and quality control in both types of institution.

My experience is not of enough different institutions to be able to talk of patterns, but based on the places I have worked and where I have been an External Examiner, I can honestly say that the idea of a second rate or 'useless' degree is nonsense where I have worked, and the same procedures apply across the piece, so I have no reason to assume that standards differ elsewhere.

As I say, their scarcity value has dropped, and they are no longer a path to a guaranteed 'good' job; but if that has opened up opportunities to more people, then I think that is a good thing.

I agree that FE has become a Cinderella sector, which is a shame, as it had a valuable role. When I worked in FE I managed HEFC courses designed to get people without traditional qualifications into HE, and they really did change lives, particularly for women who were looking to get back into work after having children.

muffinthemoo Sun 01-Dec-19 14:49:58

I am a millennial and a parent. Re car seats: there are only about two or three cars for sale in the UK currently that have three ISOFIX points across the back, and two of them have list prices above 70k.

It is possible to fit three car seats across the back of a limited number (about six) of saloon/estate cars if the seats have a three point seat belt restraint system, I.e. you belt the seat itself in and then belt the child into the seat.

You need to be careful to pick the narrower seats on the market.

I manage three under fives seats across the back seat of a 2 series BMW estate.

There’s also the Multimac which entirely replaces your back seat and bolts on directly to the chassis. I am considering a move up to this in a year or two when youngest is old enough to face forward.

www.multimac.com/home

rosecarmel Sun 01-Dec-19 15:53:14

For U.S. options, check out: the car crash detective . com

Didn't want to post a link that might get deleted ..

But she provides extensive information on makes and models of both autos and carseats-

A sedan is environmentally friendly-er than an SUV- However, since SUV sales have increased, some corporations are phasing out/reducing sedan production -

M0nica Sun 01-Dec-19 19:00:49

doodledog when people talk of 'useless' degrees. I do not think it is about the quality or standard of the degree as how easy it will be for someone to get a job after completing that degree.

Some years ago it seemed that every university offered degrees in Media Studies, far more people were graduating with this degree than there were jobs in the industry. DD was working for one of the major television companies at the time, her degree is NOT in Media Studies, and she said there were very few people in her company, who did have a media studies degree because there was very little demand for them, what was wanted was people with skills, like website design or content writers. Media studies only taught you about the media, not any skills the industry actually wanted.

I think this is what is meant by 'useless' degrees. The student graduates but finds it very difficult to get a job because their subject is either oversubscribed or only training for a very narrow range of jobs.

Callistemon Sun 01-Dec-19 19:18:54

There are two kinds of Media degrees - Media Studies and Media Arts. Media Studies study the media.

Media Arts students learn the how; the creativity, eg film making, documentary making, website design, post-production skills, communication via different types of media all of which is the future.

M0nica Sun 01-Dec-19 20:37:37

Media Arts degrees have come in since DD's day. then it was Media Studies - or Media Studies.

Callistemon Sun 01-Dec-19 22:31:09

Perhaps they should have given it a different name

Doodledog Sun 01-Dec-19 22:42:08

I think that if more people studied the media, politicians of all persuasions would have less chance of hoodwinking people. I also think that the denigration of Media Studies degrees is because politicians don't like people having the skills to see through the way they (the politicians) use the media. I think it was Margaret Thatcher who coined the term 'Mickey Mouse' courses, but I may be wrong.

I didn't study Media Studies, but I did take a Sociology A level back in the day, and as part of that we looked at studies by the Glasgow Media Group, and it really did teach me to look at News stories very differently. I would be surprised if Media Studies courses didn't do the same.

In any case, for a lot of jobs, the subject is not the important thing. Management training schemes, for instance, take students based on their degree results and performance at interview, rather than the discipline.

How many people with History degrees go on to be historians? A few will become academics, more will become teachers, but the majority will use their skills of analysis, research and synthesis in much more general ways.

Is anyone suggesting that a degree in History (or Physics, or Literature, or any of the traditional subjects that rarely lead to a job in the subject) are 'useless'?

M0nica Mon 02-Dec-19 15:49:53

History (or Physics, or Literature, or any of the traditional subjects that rarely lead to a job in the subject) are 'useless'?

But they aren't. Members of my family have made very successful careers, based specifcally on their degrees in History and Phsice and so have a number of friends.

Remember how big the heritage industry is in this country. not just the National Trust and English Heritage. There are countless museaums and attractions based on heritage assets. Not to mention conservation bodies and advisors. They employ a lot of historians.

Ditto physics there are commercial and academic research centres and high tech manufacuters in everything from medicine to space technology employing physics graduates.

I do not know any one with any kind of literature degree, but I doubt it is much different.

MatsukenDG Fri 16-Jul-21 08:26:32

To be honest, I don't think that it is actually so. I think that the real is a little bit different

Lucca Fri 16-Jul-21 08:31:16

Er….. this thread is two years old!!

RandyWhite Fri 16-Jul-21 11:50:26

I partially agree with your view on this situation. I can also say about the differences in view on the ecology. The modern generation because of the internet see all the ecological problems and methods of how to solve them and at the same time, the elder generations don't understand this, because they are concentrated on smaller everyday problems. I am sure that in this sphere it shouldn't be important how old are you and what status do you have and organisations like MyImpactPower prove this fact. They create different kinds of ecological projects using NFT tokens and I believe that such methods can really help our planet.