Gransnet forums

Chat

Supernatural experiences - do you believe?

(178 Posts)
Tedber Fri 29-Nov-19 19:43:51

A post by someone else sparked me thinking. Who believes? Who thinks they have had supernatural experiences and are mediums genuine or con artists?

I am not even sure what I believe. but....

When my first husband died I was away and I awoke in a room to a rustling sound in the corner of the room in hotel. I woke up and switched on the light, saw it was 4 a.m. and my immediate thought was its ok "It is the ghosts"..... Er? not one for being irrational, but I shook myself and said to myself "ghosts" WTF are you talking about.? There was absolutely nothing in the corner of the room. Not a chair, bag, zilch.... Went back to sleep and was phoned later the next day to say my husband had been found dead and ....later again found out estimated time of death was 4 a.m.! I then returned home to Scotland and that night I got a phone call on my mobile it was from a LANDLINE number in the town I was in - I went to pick it up but it disconnected.... the time was 4 a.m.! I even wrote it down in case I lost it. I phoned it back and a woman answered sleepily, she sounded old and categorically told me I had woken her and she had NOT phoned anyone. She told me she lived alone and didn't know me or my husband! I believed her!

Now what are the chances of someone in the same area you are in picking a random mobile phone number anyway???

Some years later (when we had moved to England) my daughter and I went to a spiritualist church - more out of curiosity than anything. Totally speechless when the guy pointed to us and told us he had someone there who was showing matches and cards? sounds odd ..yeah? except my daughter and her dad always played crib with matches!!! He also mentioned the name of the town we lived in! Seriously, it is not any common town in Scotland, but could be a first name!

He said a lot more and we couldn't say a word ...just totally mesmerised.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar or is it just nonsense?

timetogo2016 Sat 07-Dec-19 10:39:31

I totally believe.
I went to see John Edward the American medium/physic.
He told me things that were impossible for him to know.
EG , I have my fathers glasses and there is an coin in there that`s not from this country also I`m about to move house as he is seeing boxes,i told him that`s not the case as I have only just moved house in the last three months.
He said well your moving again.
Cut along story short I did have my fathers glasses and when I looked in there was an American dollar coin in it .
And I met and moved in with my new husband to be six months later.
There`s so much more I could post but it would take ages.
Also my DIL got messages that were spot on too.

newgran2019 Fri 06-Dec-19 14:19:19

No, it was one I saw the other day. Very interesting thread all round!

GrandmaMoira Tue 03-Dec-19 12:49:16

I've never been to a medium or psychic meeting and not seen any kind of ghost or spirit.
However my first DH and his sister both had telepathic abilities/foretold the future. I phoned my DSIS to tell her about a death in the family and before I could say anything, she told me. There was no way for her to know as he was young and fit and the Police had just told us.
My DH told me that a long lost family member would soon get in touch. I didn't believe him but he was right.

Hetty58 Tue 03-Dec-19 12:00:21

I am a humanist and firmly don't believe in anything supernatural. Having said that, I've had a few strange experiences that had no rational or coincidental explanation. Therefore, I put it down to us not knowing everything.

An example is that I had a very vivid dream about a girl drowning, the river, the trees, the path she chose and what dress and sandals she was wearing. (In my dream, I was her) When I told my friend about it he was extremely shocked. He'd never told me about his lost sister. He wasn't with her at the time so I hadn't been reading his mind.

Rivernana Tue 03-Dec-19 11:21:31

I haven't seen any ghosts but have had a couple of strange experiences. Many years ago I moved to this country. At the time it was difficult and expensive to phone my home country so I used to make a monthly telephone call to my parents. This particular month we were due to go away on holiday for a few days and on our return it would be time for my monthly telephone call. For days I was uneasy and wanting to call my parents but didn't. The day before we were to leave on holiday I received a telephone call to say that my father had died suddenly. I have never stopped regretting not believing my instincts and wish I could have had that last conversation with him.
Some years before that my grandfather had died. That night of his death I woke up suddenly with a strong feeling of a presence in my room and a smell - like he used to smell. We were not close but I respected him and he used to sleep in my bedroom when he visited us.
Can't offer any rational explanations so I keep an open mind!

Yehbutnobut Tue 03-Dec-19 11:16:31

I don’t believe in any of this sort of stuff and never have...BUT I have had an odd experience which I can’t explain. So in the words of the bard ‘there are more things on heaven and earth Horacio..’ or something like that!

Alexa Tue 03-Dec-19 11:15:39

Newgran, I agree but it's nothing to do with my post immediately above, is it?

Witzend Tue 03-Dec-19 11:08:15

A friend's sister and her dh bought a small house that seemed like a bargain, they counted themselves lucky to get it relatively cheaply.

Her dh used to,leave very early for work, when she'd still be dozing in bed.
After a while she became conscious of 'someone' in the room every morning after her dh had left. She didn't feel that it was at all unfriendly, but obviously it was unnerving. A bit later she felt that he - she was sure it was a he - was sitting on the end of the bed, and gradually moving closer to her.

By then it was enough, and they asked someone to come and investigate.
The medium said his name was Albert and he was an old soldier. She asked him to leave, and he left.

But the couple had finally found out why the house was relatively cheap and the former owners were anxious to sell!

spabbygirl Tue 03-Dec-19 10:13:49

wonderful stories harril & others! I really enjoy them, the more I read the more it confirms to me there are things we can't explain right now

Greeneyedgirl Mon 02-Dec-19 20:56:43

Bradfordlass "brainwave changes" are happening all the time, it's the nerve centre of the body.

Coincidences happen all the time, statistically they are not unusual.

I concur with all that Alexa has posted.

Evie64 Mon 02-Dec-19 19:06:02

The day after my dear dad's funeral, we went to the pub for lunch. I was texting a friend who'd asked how the funeral had gone. My OH said "OMG, can you hear what someone has just put on the Jukebox". It was my dad's favourite which we played at the funeral, I believe by the Bachelors. I was nonplussed as it was a pub full of youngsters. I looked back down at my phone and the video I had on there of my dad dancing was playing! It was so comforting as I knew he was there with me and saying "It's fine, I'm okay".

Ellie23 Mon 02-Dec-19 14:12:36

I have many similar events. When my mum died she came and told me everything would be ok. She said before her operation that she would not come out alive as she would bleed to death. Sure enough she did. I knew when my cousin was ill even though he had not told a soul. I knew when a friend became ill again she told nobody. When I was eight years old I was at Brownie camp on Sunday we went to church. I suddenly stood up and shouted my grandad had just gone through me. They phoned my mother to come see me. Low and behold the time I stood up in church was the time my grandad died.

newgran2019 Mon 02-Dec-19 12:47:49

Alexa, the Bible isn't a rule book but rather the story of God's relationship with people over time, written by them and not directly by him, and his plan to save us all from sin/Satan/ourselves. Therefore there will be certain rules and other things in it that we do not need to live by today, though the underlying principles remain valid.

I've never seen a ghost and hope I never do, but I wouldn't ever contradict anyone who thinks they have. The spirit world can be dangerous, which is no doubt why God warns us not to get involved for our own good.

Alexa Mon 02-Dec-19 11:58:25

Bradford Lass:
Shakespeare said, 'nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.' What we believe in, exists, for us at least.

True. If others corroborate the paranormal event it's more probable that the paranormal event is independent of people's minds. However the event could still be a mass hallucination.
If the paranormal event is corroborated by many others and also if the paranormal event can be replicated in an experiment we may assume the paranormal event is mind-independent, or what people usually call something that "really happened".

The only known instance of both conditions being fulfilled is what physicists call "the EPR paradox".

Susiewakie Mon 02-Dec-19 10:08:23

We moved into a bungalow 14 months ago it's always felt nice and friendly but when in alone ( hubby works away a lot ) I felt ? Someone else in the house But one day 6 months ago I walked into the hall and a elderly man was putting a big overcoat on then a hat he tipped the hat at me smiled and was gone ! I haven't felt it seen him since I'm a open minded person but a doubter I spoke to a neighbour who described the man who owned the property years ago . Still don't know what to think ! But he was as plain as day dressed in a similar style to my grandad

Shropshirelass Mon 02-Dec-19 08:31:01

I have had a few unexplained experiences and have been told things by a psychic medium that no one else knew. I had not given any clues for them to pick up on and they did not know me. One was a telephone call with a famous psychic, she was amazing. What I was told would not have meant anything to anyone else, so yes, I do believe. There are too many unexplained things.

BradfordLass72 Mon 02-Dec-19 06:25:26

We all know there is good and evil in this world but to say something doesn't exist simply because it cannot be scientifically proven is a specious argument.

Nature, medical science and astronomy to name but 3, are chock full of things which can't be explained or proven.

Much of what we see around us right now hadn't been explained 300 years ago and would scare the wits out of people who lived in that time were they to be transported to 2019.

There may well be no scientific proof that ghosts exist but then there's none to prove God or Satan do either and as we have seen here, many people base their whole lives on that!

Shakespeare said, 'nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.' What we believe in, exists, for us at least.

Incidentally, there is quite a lot of proof that genuine mediums and healers undergo brainwave changes as they 'work'.

I have read extensive reports from both US and Canadian universities where a man I knew well, a very successful healer and medium, had been tested under strict laboratory conditions.

They don't explain how these Alpha waves result in healing but the changes quite definitely occur and may, in another 400 years, be as normal to future people as wireless, TV and computers are to us.

Harri1 Sun 01-Dec-19 19:54:02

When we moved from Australia we rented a big hall from my fathers cousin who had built a bungalow next door. It was known to be haunted and OMG it was. Old fashioned doorbells ringing (but no doorbell) shadowy figures dressed in old fashioned clothing appearing then gone.

Noises sometimes as if horses and carriages were arriving downstairs, gravel crunching , whips cracking. Laughter, talking, with old fashioned carousel music. When you’d step on the stairs to investigate the noise would just stop. There were footsteps on the landing. My father was writing a letter down stairs one night when he sensed a cold feeling and the hairs on the back of his neck stood up..our little terrier started growling with its hackles raised...then it ran howling up the stairs weeing itself in fright.

In my bedroom I used to wake up sometimes with the eerie feeling that I was being watched. I complained to my dad and he offered to sleep in my bed. That night the bed was shaken and rocked as if something was trying to shake him out.

One night when my dad was away I awoke with stomach pains and sensed that horrible sensation of being watched again. I went into my mums bedroom and got onto bed with her...ahh safety. I turned on my side and looked directly towards a large mullioned window with bright moonlight flooding through. And there she was, an apparition, dressed In a long white gown floating slowly towards me. I tried to poke my mum with my elbow but I could not move. It was like I was petrified but not with fear but as if I was turned to stone. She came up to me and sat on my legs..I was shocked to feel weight on me..she reached over and smoothed my forehead. Then she was gone.

The story goes that one of the owners of the house which dated back to 1660 had gotten the young maid pregnant and she had hung herself in her little room on the third floor.

I was 18 then and am now 67 but have never experienced anything since. But the weirdest thing is fast forward to two years ago and this house came up for sale..and my daughter and her husband bought it. She was a bit wary but the owner assured her there was. I thing untoward in the house and

Harri1 Sun 01-Dec-19 19:16:09

When we moved from Australia we rented a big hall from my fathers cousin who had built a bungalow next door. It was known to be haunted and OMG it was. Old fashioned doorbells ringing (but no doorbell) shadowy figures dressed in old fashioned clothing appearing then gone.

Noises sometimes as if horses and carriages were arriving downstairs, gravel crunching , whips cracking. Laughter, talking, with old fashioned carousel music. When you’d step on the stairs to investigate the noise would just stop. There were footsteps on the landing. My father was writing a letter down stairs one night when he sensed a cold feeling and the hairs on the back of his neck stood up..our little terrier started growling with its hackles raised...then it ran howling up the stairs weeing itself in fright.

In my bedroom I used to wake up sometimes with the eerie feeling that I was being watched. I complained to my dad and he offered to sleep in my bed. That night the bed was shaken and rocked as if something was trying to shake him out.

One night when my dad was away I awoke with stomach pains and sensed that horrible sensation of being watched again. I went into my mums bedroom and got onto bed with her...ahh safety. I turned on my side and looked directly towards a large mullioned window with bright moonlight flooding through. And there she was, an apparition, dressed In a long white gown floating slowly towards me. I tried to poke my mum with my elbow but I could not move. It was like I was petrified but not with fear but as if I was turned to stone. She came up to me and sat on my legs..I was shocked to feel weight on me..she reached over and smoothed my forehead. Then she was gone.

The story goes that one of the owners of the house which dated back to 1660 had gotten the young maid pregnant and she had hung herself in her little room on the third floor.

I was 18 then and am now 67 but have never experienced anything since. But the weirdest thing is fast forward to two years ago and this house came up for sale..and my daughter and her husband bought it. She was a bit wary but the owner assured her there was nothing untoward in the house and so they bought it.

She called me late one night as she was due with her third baby and I went to mind the two children. I w t up to bed...same bedroom..the moon was flooding through the same mullioned window..and I had a dreadful sense of deja vu. However all was well.

It is a lovely happy home now, nothing that goes bump in the night. I can’t explain why it was such a vortex of ghostly energy and now it isn’t.

After we had moved my father admitted that he, too, had seen the woman in white three times..and as much as he tried..could never move to try and grab her...it’s as if you are transported to their time zone.......

spabbygirl Sun 01-Dec-19 18:49:14

Glad you liked it Tedber, it is amazing, my mum was strong minded like Margaret thatcher!

HettyMaud Sun 01-Dec-19 15:33:03

My grandfather was a tough man and was in the trenches in WW!. He told me that when he was about 8, on the night his mother died, he saw an angel at the foot of his bed.

MegrannyW1 Sun 01-Dec-19 15:12:58

I certainly believe. My long dead brother sitting on the end of my bed. My name being called many a time but no one there, A certain smell of soap from my grandmother which was quite unique. hearing voices and knowing comfort from them.. My husband swerving the car as his father told him to at that moment as a car careered around a bend in front of us. Just a few things that are inexplainable and if it gives comfort to someone then so be it

srn63 Sun 01-Dec-19 10:24:08

My son used to have a projector in his bedroom and him, myself and my husband used to watch films on it, it was as good as the cinema. My son and I used to sit on the sofa and my husband on a chair next to us. Once, just after one of my beloved dogs had died in very upsetting circumstances, all three of us were watching a film with our remaining dog laid between myself and my son, my husband in his usual chair and the door next to him ajar. During a quiet part of the film we heard the distinctive sound of dog footsteps in the hall walking up to the bedroom door, the noise was of claws "clattering" on our hall floor which is wood, in fact we have no carpets in this house. It sounded just like the dog which had recently died, he was a whippet greyhound cross and had quite long claws. My son and I looked at each other, looked down at the dog laid sleeping beside us, we both jumped up to look in the hall to see what had made the noise but there was nothing there, nor in the rest of the house. My husband didn't hear a thing, neither did the dog between us because she didn't bark. Was it the deceased dog checking on us one last time? I hope so.

Tedber Sun 01-Dec-19 08:46:15

spabbygirl. SO Interesting have read the link. Thanks for posting.

Witzend Sun 01-Dec-19 07:42:37

Blondiescot, your experience reminded me of a friend's little Gds. On holiday in the Med the family were visiting a site of Graeco-Roman ruins where none of them had ever been before. The Gds was still pre school so couldn't have read anything about it.

But as soon as they arrived he said, 'I used to live here!' and started happily pointing out all sorts of features - where he'd lived, where his friend had lived - (he gave an appropriate name for him) and the cave where they used to hide, etc.

Needless to say the family all got a bad case of the shivers!

When they left he said, 'Thank you for bringing me home.'
He's much older now and has no recollection of it at all.