Gransnet forums

Chat

Bashing my head against a brick wall

(56 Posts)
Luckygirl Tue 03-Dec-19 09:16:16

I ordered a garment online a few months ago from a company called JustFashionNow. When the item eventually arrived it was completely the wrong thing and bore no resemblance to what I ordered.

When I got back to them with photos to show they had made a mistake, it turns out from their reply that they are based in China. They are insisting that it is the right thing and that I must pay the return postage to China!

Local Trading Standards do not seem to be able to do anything - indeed they do not even reply to my messages!

Any ideas anyone?

Oh and do not buy from JustFashionNow!!!!!!!!!

Hetty58 Tue 03-Dec-19 10:54:58

I think it was on here - so count yourself very lucky!

www.birdmites.org/forum.html#t37

jenni123 Tue 03-Dec-19 11:05:46

I am fighting paypal to get my money back. I ordered a metal over the sink drainer, width 48 inches, cost $12.99 plus $12.99 postage. When the item arrived it was a blue plastic 8 x 6 inch basket. I wouldn't have paid £1 for. Contacted seller eho said they sent what was ordered. I have been told to return it, get tracking number and I'll be refunded. Problem is PayPal sent return address all in Chinese post office won't accept it plus say if i get address in English to send it will cost £9.50 for proof of posting or £13.50 for tracking. These bloody Chinese cheets need to be shut down. Still waiting for address in English

yaiyai Tue 03-Dec-19 12:19:49

Just to add my two pennorth, don’t buy from ok buy now (all one word but predictive keeps splitting it)

Saggi Tue 03-Dec-19 12:32:22

I only buy online with Amazon ....they are excellent about returns....really excellent after sales service, only time gone outside Amazon and it all went tits up. Otherwise I use the old fashioned method of going from shop to shop.

AlisonKF Tue 03-Dec-19 13:22:43

I have been conned a couple of times. Now I read reviews first. If I have never heard of a company this is essential. Facebook is particularly to be avoided. Beautiful knitwear was recently offered at ridiculously low prices. Turned out that the pictures were stolen from a number of sources showing craft knitwear. The creators were scammed as well. Chinese sizing is for elves. Large means child size. Cannot understand where they get this if they actually want to sell in Europe. Probably despatchers cannot read the orders in English. The golden rule is if it looks a bargain, it almost certainly isn't.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 03-Dec-19 13:32:52

As far as I know there is as yet no way that trading standards can be enforced if you buy online from a company that is based in another country.

Once bitten, twice shy here, I am afraid.

I only buy from firms based in my own country or other European ones and I do a little research into the firm before ordering. I find it worth the time and the slightly higher prices, as I haven't been cheated yet.

Trixee Tue 03-Dec-19 13:39:02

I also got a refund from PayPal for a top I bought from JustFashionNow, it wouldn’t have fitted a twelve year old, be very wary.

Sussexborn Tue 03-Dec-19 13:39:59

I posted on a different thread that companies can now pay to remove bad reviews for holidays so presumably they can do the same for other purchases.

I have two well made cotton waist slips supposedly XL but more like our size 6/8.

Paperbackwriter Tue 03-Dec-19 14:20:55

I've done the same - bought a 100% linen dress from Buykud and it wasn't linen at all, just cheap sweatshirt-type fabric and also shapeless. Attempts to return it were met with threats about having to pay postage to China and then possibly not getting a refund. I gave up and it went to the charity shop. It was only then I looked at the reviews. I suppose it was extraordinarily cheap - that in itself should have been a warning.

Llamedos13 Tue 03-Dec-19 15:16:34

I ordered what was supposed to be three solar lamps from a company based in China. What I received was three useless light bulbs and no actual lamps. I wrote to them and after getting nowhere with them, I took my complaint to PayPal. They were great and refunded my money. The company in China had the cheek to write and demand I return the light bulbs at my expense! They went straight into the bin.I am another one who won’t ever order from China again.

jura2 Tue 03-Dec-19 15:21:04

We bought a set of WiFi boosters from a Swiss site, paid in Swiss francs. 2 weeks later we got a letter from Customs to ask for the bill. The parcel came from Singapore, with a false customs declaration stating 'commercial samples $9) - when had paid about £70- so just over the import tax threshold. Had to pay tax, vat and a charge for them opening anc checking the parcel and admin fee - so an extra 50% on top. Worse of all, it made us part of a fraudulent declaration sad

sandelf Tue 03-Dec-19 15:23:46

I usually put UK at the end of my Google searches - so generally the results will at least have an office in UK and often are British companies - may be less cheap but you are helping to keep employment in this country and the customer service is much better.

sweetcakes Tue 03-Dec-19 15:25:01

Did it once lesson learnt, always read the reviews now. It is a pain though!

TrendyNannie6 Tue 03-Dec-19 15:59:56

Sadly you have to put it down to experience pass it on and give it to a charity shop maybe someone will benefit from it.

lindadoughty650 Tue 03-Dec-19 16:57:33

Can I add a warning about Irisruby.com. All the negatives already listed about some other on line companies in China, plus not getting all the items ordered. I ordered seven items and after 9 weeks have received the two cheapest on the list, both poor quality. My emails to customer services are dealt with by automated responses asking for the details which I have just supplied. But no action. £100 down the drain and an expensive lesson as my request for refund is being ignored.

Kalu Tue 03-Dec-19 17:16:23

I have bought a couple of items from China via Amazon. Good reviews and I followed the size recommended chart. I am a 10 but ordered Large, as advised and both items a perfect fit.

Luckygirl Tue 03-Dec-19 17:19:42

I tried to deal with it via PayPal, but they can do nothing unless my OH verifies the account by speaking to them on the phone, as he set up the account. I could have phoned PayPal whilst at the nursing home, but he would just have spent the time telling them he is being killed (he has paranoia) - might have been interesting.

I have now set up a PayPal account of my own.

M0nica Tue 03-Dec-19 17:31:26

I have long avoided buying anything from China, or any other overseas country outside the EU. It just isn't worth it.

When I have taken the risk it has always been for low value goods. I have twice succesfully bought £10 items from the US when I couldn't source the goods elsewhere, but I always buy through ebay so that I have some protection.

I rarely buy clothes online unless I know their sizing is reliable and their goods of a known quality. So far Woolovers and Landsend are the only two retailers to pass this test.

Nannytopsy Tue 03-Dec-19 17:39:53

I get JustFashionNow adverts constantly when I am on GN. Time for HQ to ditch them.

jura2 Tue 03-Dec-19 17:46:16

Sandelf- I did the search with .ch (for Switzerland) and that is my whole issue, it looked like a Swiss site, prices in Swiss francs, paid in Swiss francs. Recently had an article in our equivalent of WHICH - where they explained about 30% of .ch sites- are foreign and goods sent from outside Switzerland, and even outside EU- so attracting high customs duties.

glammagran Tue 03-Dec-19 18:37:33

Luckygirl I ordered 2 dresses from Topsdresses possibly the same company (apparently they change their name regularly). The two dresses in the photo are the “same size”. I reported them to trading standards and got a refund from my credit card company. Never again!

PECS Tue 03-Dec-19 18:59:43

Sadly a lot of stories/photos online about these fashion outlets that turn out to be based in China and promise Chanel and deliver Chantelle! Always good to have a quick Google (other search engines are available!) before ordering!

Gran2028 Tue 03-Dec-19 19:00:16

I never buy online without researching reviews on at leadt sites... At the risk of being banned I think its time GN policed their pop up advertisers better...
Just fashion now
Irisruby
Luvyle
Dresslily
.... to name a few..
All questionable when you check out customer reviews...
Why does GN allow them?
Oh.. that will be money then!!

Shizam Tue 03-Dec-19 19:47:45

Amazon should never have stolen its name from that mighty forest. Always try to find another source for online buys. Wordery is good for books. U.K. based. I’m a customer not involved with them. Just always found them reliable, free postage, helpful.

M0nica Tue 03-Dec-19 21:37:24

I get adverts constantly from Damensein. It sounds German, but when I searched, it was Chinese and reviews were abysmal. It is advertising to me at this moment.

It is a pity, because I really like the clothes they are advertising. I have tried to download pictures of some of the sweaters, because with a picture I could probably work out a pattern anyway.